Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Lefty Stoppage Drills?

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Skill at Arms (HEMS) Lefty Stoppage Drills?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tango tango 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

I was introducing a fellow patriot to stoppage drills tonight, only he uses a Stag lefty AR upper and shoots it left shouldered. We quickly found that the mechanics of running the drill in the same manner make it a little clumsy. Examples:
    i) Locking the bolt back
    ii) Checking chamber for a bolt override
    iii) Dropping the slide/bolt lock after loading a magazine

So my question is: Are there lefty specific solutions I can pass along? Are we relegated to shooting a standard upper left shouldered?

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

If a lefty is using a Stag LH AR, he would just mirror a righty with a standard AR for everything except msg release. For that, he will have to release the.mag with his right thumb when he brings the fresh mag up to the rifle. Think tactical reload.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Profile photo of Dennis W
    Dennis W
    Participant

I’m a lefty but use a standard AR. I have a friend that has one of those left hand AR’s and it feels very strange using it. The biggest issue is the mag release is still in the right side. I would put a TROY left handed mag release on it, it has a bigger pad than the other one. The AR I shot also has a standard charging handle which should be changed to an ambidextrous one. All my AR’s have ambidextrous safeties, charging handles and mag releases. Stoppages are actually easier as you are already looking at the chamber.
    Dennis

MTV Alumni - N. Central Florida
    Sept 27 – Oct 03 2014 TC3-CTT-CP + NODF
    RC1, RC2, Rifleman 2015
    Sept 2016 Run & Gun/ CQB
    Oct 2016 FOF

Profile photo of Dennis W
    Dennis W
    Participant

I forgot to add
    #1 I use my left index finger on the lock while using the ambi charging handle with my right hand
    #3 left index finger
    Dennis

MTV Alumni - N. Central Florida
    Sept 27 – Oct 03 2014 TC3-CTT-CP + NODF
    RC1, RC2, Rifleman 2015
    Sept 2016 Run & Gun/ CQB
    Oct 2016 FOF

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

These are both good replies. Thanks guys.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.