Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Let's call it like it is

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Tactical Fitness Let's call it like it is

This topic contains 29 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hessian Hessian 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

This could well have gone in the tactical nutrition section. Basic building block of the WHOLE WARRIOR.

If you have a gut (I have) then you need to be working to get rid of it.

It is a basic building block of your ability to conduct yourself in tactical self-defense. You need to work on losing the fat, building the muscle, and increasing the cardio. Belly fat also kills testosterone, and most of us on here are not getting any younger. Strength training and losing belly fat will help with your T.

I have noticed a general lack of take-up on fitness activities. From the Rifleman / TacGun challenge, to the failure to sell any tactical fitness plans, to lack of participation in the forum fitness challenge. It really isn’t good enough fellas.

@johnnymac (he doesn’t have a gut) has been working hard to bring you accessible PT. You guys are a bunch of stick-in-the-muds. On the whole, and if the cap fits, wear it. Does this make you upset? Why? Either you are doing the PT, so good for you and shut up and carry on, or you are not, so get a grip and do it.

You are old or injured? Well, for a start, I am 45 and recovering from spinal fusion. I also have a knee injury. I train hard but needed to get a grip of the nutrition to get rid of the gut, and I am doing that. There are people out there who are crazy about PT and cross fit and all that, and here at MVT as ‘gun guys’ we have ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE to be lard-asses.

As i work myself back up, and i may still have limitation such as no running right now, I will be making some warrior fitness videos. I have to get myself squared away and get my little range are out back ready for the shooting and the PT combine,d so it will be a little bit. But I posted about the brute force sandbags and so you have options there. People were talking about expense and you are looking at maybe $130 for an athlete bag and then you don;t need any other equipment! Stop making excuses!

Bottom line guys, you hear me talking about the WHOLE WARRIOR and that is not just words. Work around whatever limitations you have and build it. Lose the gut, work on it. You will perform better in all areas of your life.

Questions?

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Absolutely! I try to get a workout in everyday if possible, at the very least 4 days a week and at the very least 30 minutes. I always use to say I don’t have time, but you can square away 30 minutes somewhere to start! Now I find myself squaring away at least an hour, for me it’s not just about being fit and healthy, but it is also a release of tension and frustration for me as well. I like picking things up and slamming them down, sweating (which I do at work anyways), grunting, pushing, growling and fartin (you know it happens)! Shoulders and knees were paining me yesterday, but I just compensated so as to not further agitate them. Get after it!

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

While exercise is a must for cardio and muscle dev/maintenance, fat loss and connective tissue health are far more a product of proper diet. Have you heard of going full carnivore? 30 days in and I can vouch for the incredible benefits – 8lbs fat gone, better… everything: energy, endurance, sleep, joints, guts, etc.

Fascinating stuff: http://meatheals.com

Max
    Keymaster

While exercise is a must for cardio and muscle dev/maintenance, fat loss and connective tissue health are far more a product of proper diet. Have you heard of going full carnivore? 30 days in and I can vouch for the incredible benefits – 8lbs fat gone, better… everything: energy, endurance, sleep, joints, guts, etc.

Fascinating stuff: http://meatheals.com

Here we go again. No.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Work around whatever limitations you have and build it. Lose the gut, work on it. You will perform better in all areas of your life.

I can’t run right now either, so I’ve increase my dedicated cycling. I normally run a major portion of my errands on a bicycle, but I am biking around 200 miles a week on top of that. Nothing to brag about, but it’s helping.

Calisthenics and outdoor work is all right now, slowly bringing that up.

My mid fifties recovery time from injury is slower than it used to be, which is why training smart to avoid injuries is so important as we age. Add working smart to that too.

Watching carbs is a necessity for me, but not eliminate them.

Have done the Atkins thing in the past as a emergency fat loss option, worked well for that, but for me it killed my endurance until I was able to increase carb intake.

For some, supposedly endurance energy will come back with extreme low carb intake given time, but that didn’t work for me.

Doesn’t take long to lose focus and gain some flotation around the waist, but AIWB CCW is my early warning system.

Profile photo of FreedomOak
    FreedomOak
    Participant

I agree. For reference I base my PT on professional Muay Thai fighter standards.
    Generally for right now my base exercise is:

100 push ups a day
    Kettlebell swings, either light or heavy
    20 minutes jogging, no more then 3 miles, 3x week and 10-15 minutes jumping rope

Plus an hour or two of either fight specific exercises or weightlifting, upper body one session, lower body next session. I also fence once a week and soon upgrading to thrice a week. I work with a pro MT coach once a week.

I’m mid 30s and years after neglecting my diet I am back on target and have a nice center line on my abs.

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

Here we go again. No.

Not sure what that even means?

Max
    Keymaster

Here we go again. No.

Dude, it’s the whole keto thing. Jane! Were you here for that? It may have been before we went to paid?

Granted, you may be losing weight on that. What PT are you doing? Anything endurance or challenging cardio? My experience from some of these keto types is that it makes them physically and mentally slow.

And no, cavemen did not eat just meat. And they died at 20. And got eaten by sabertooth tigers. Starvation is an effective weight loss program!

:good:

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

I was not around for the Keto thing but sounds like that thread was a hoot. As for PT, been doing several mile run/shuffles with steel plates in 90+ degree heat, performing at a high level on the baseball field and overall – much more energy (except cheat days of course!)

I get how the track record of “strange” diets makes them ripe for ridicule and I’m not some diet evangelist. I’m interested in N=1 results and many thousands are doing this carnivore thing with tremendous results. Here is the current poster-man-child: https://www.instagram.com/shawnbaker1967/

Then there are stories like this which show the “experts” and everything we “think” we know about many things – diet among them are little more than paid corporate and/or political propaganda.

It is prudent as rational beings to be open to new information, investigate its merits and then decide to act or not upon it. That is all.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

As for PT, been doing several mile run/shuffles with steel plates in 90+ degree heat, performing at a high level on the baseball field and overall – much more energy (except cheat days of course!)

For some, supposedly endurance energy will come back with extreme low carb intake given time, but that didn’t work for me.

Somethings that work well one person doesn’t work for another. :unsure:

If what your doing is working, keep it up!

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Damnit! I’m better at eating than PT.

I’ve done some reading on intermittent fasting. I can skip breakfast (my favorite meal) and lunch and just eat supper and I do even better when I exercise at lunch. We’ll see how the gut loss goes.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of riflemaniv
    riflemaniv
    Participant

Max, your videos have reinvigorated me to get back in shape. I’m not in horrible shape but I slipped on ice back in February and was to dumb to go to a PT and get things taken care of quickly/early. I have been nursing my ankle, wrist and shoulder on my right side for far to long. The last month month and a half I have been working hard to get back to where is was.

CTT1504, NODF 1504, CP 1610

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Here we go again. No.

Dude, it’s the whole keto thing. Jane! Were you here for that? It may have been before we went to paid?

Granted, you may be losing weight on that. What PT are you doing? Anything endurance or challenging cardio? My experience from some of these keto types is that it makes them physically and mentally slow.

And no, cavemen did not eat just meat. And they died at 20. And got eaten by sabertooth tigers. Starvation is an effective weight loss program!

I was reading this thread when my wife showed me this pic. Not poking fun at anyone, just thought it was a good fit! Mind you my wife was into the Beachbody stuff, which I got on myself about 5 years ago to start losing weight. But it is funny how they all try to hit you at the same time, like a velociraptor, try Beachbody, try Advocare, try Thrive, try Ketones, try the copper belly wraps, etc….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

:good: every body wants that magic pill….. they just don’t realize the magic pill is suffering, sweating, and grinding it out. Lmao.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Short Stroke
    Short Stroke
    Participant

I PT. Had a septic elbow at age 1, so I’ve got arthritis there already in my mid-30s, but I have a regimen of exercises that are intense and don’t aggravate the elbow. And I go harder on the other side.

2-4 gym workouts per week, and 2-4 runs per week, plus at least 3 miles of walking each day. One ruck every two weeks with weight and pushing a couple of kids in a double stroller. I can still run a sub-5:30 mile, so I feel like it’s all working. If you don’t know what kind of quality run workouts to do, do some research or ask someone with experience.

Danny from VA

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

:good: every body wants that magic pill….. they just don’t realize the magic pill is suffering, sweating, and grinding it out. Lmao.

IIRC, Cher said back in the 80’s – “If a hard body came in a bottle, everyone would have one”

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

I PT. Had a septic elbow at age 1, so I’ve got arthritis there already in my mid-30s, but I have a regimen of exercises that are intense and don’t aggravate the elbow. And I go harder on the other side.

2-4 gym workouts per week, and 2-4 runs per week, plus at least 3 miles of walking each day. One ruck every two weeks with weight and pushing a couple of kids in a double stroller. I can still run a sub-5:30 mile, so I feel like it’s all working. If you don’t know what kind of quality run workouts to do, do some research or ask someone with experience.

I’d like to hear about the quality run workouts if you don’t mind.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

A little over 2 weeks out of a fairly involved surgery. Back on the mats as of last week. Some a-hole was hogging the treadmill my wife wasn’t on at the hotel last night- so I got on a bike instead. After an hour of that he finally finished his walk and got off the treadmill and I ran a mile. Wanted to get back into every slow. First week every jostle and bump in the car gave jolting pain. Pain I can deal with, lack of breathing not so much. It was killing me to sit on my arse for 2 weeks. Both knees have injuries from combative sports but I have figured out how much I can do and when to slow down for a bit. In short, I’m not PT’ing as much as I should. The wife ran 5 miles on the treadmill yesterday, so I better step it TF up!!!

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

Here we go again. No.

I miss jane, sure livened things up.

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

I do PT for my hip and lower back, thing my therapist gets on is you got to do it all the time. It take six dedicated weeks to take hold. Hitting 54 sucks. I have been doing the marathon thing for three years now working through two injuries. One caused by hiking. Got to love it. Key is perseverance. I’ve been working on my diet for a long time now too trying to drop that last 15#, Cardio from the road running has sure helped with a lot tho.

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of JJC
    mdbjjc
    Participant

Max’s concept of the Rifleman Challenge Years back was fantastic. It gave tangible goals mixed with practical skills. It’s too bad RC is no more.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I’ve been away for a bit, so I’m just seeing this now.

1) Max, it’s great to hear your back is at a point that you can start some higher level PT. The videos should be a hit, although I’d expect quite the commentary from the pewpew crowd… Maybe it’ll be what gets them in the door.

2) Fitness, is something that has to be doggedly pursued, and more than anything, it’s HARD! (If what you’re doing isn’t hard, you’re doing something wrong). Don’t put in the time on a regular basis, and you’re not going to get very far. There are a thousand reasons NOT to workout, it’s your job to strangle that little voice in the back of your head making up excuses and just get to it. It’s not motivation that sees you through the long years of training, it’s dedication.

3) I generally shy away from saying too much about diet, because people seem to be passionate about their own beliefs or soak up the latest psuedoscience. The fact is, diets are an entire industry. They don’t necessarily have your best interest in mind. The only foolproof advice: have a rough idea of how many calories you’re taking in vs your activity level for the day vs your weight goals. Stay away from shit food. You’re the gate keeper, be aware of what is going into your mouth.

Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

I will own this. My fitness / eating habits do not match my whole warrior mind set goals. That’s a big reason I am part of the MVT community. . . Max, Johnny Mac and the rest of you keep me honest and give me that kick in the ass I need to keep making all those small daily choices needed to become who I want to be. I was just in Paris on vacation with the family and it was such a contrast looking at the average person their and their level of average fitness compared to many of the American tourists walking around, myself included. Kind of embarrassing. No more excuses. Just gonna get it done. Thanks Max.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Who is Jane and what happened to her on low carb?

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Max
    Keymaster

Who is Jane and what happened to her on low carb?

Jane is Christina. She went off in a huff to a free forum. She was at LRMS recently.

Short Stroke
    Participant

I’d like to hear about the quality run workouts if you don’t mind.

Sure – if you want to achieve close to your potential, you should learn more about what your body can do and what you are good at (for example, are you slow twitch or fast twitch). This will determine how you train. Use a solid resource like https://www.scienceofrunning.com/?v=7516fd43adaa to learn more and train/act as though you are an elite athlete even though you (and I) will never get their level of performance.

Even if you’re not trying to get to your max potential, some of the basic things you should be doing are:
    1) establishing an aerobic base by making the majority of your runs—especially early in your training—relatively slow, easy runs. These are the base that actually increase your potential and allow your later strength and speed work to be more effective and productive.
    2) do interval training. This will make you faster. It is also the toughest, most gut-wrenching workouts.
    3) Incorporate a mix of other runs like hills (Hill surges and sprints), fartleks, distance runs, tempo / lactate threshold runs, etc.
    4) set goals or decide on which distances you want to improve. This obviously determines how you should train as well. I choose the mile because it is a great mix of speed and stamina. Training for the mile includes both short sprints and Long runs. Having goals helps you to be motivated. Go run a mile right now and see how you do. Then do it again every few weeks and try to improve each time. Do the same with other distances like the 800M, 400M, and 200M. I’m not into the marathon stuff and I see more people getting injured at those distances, but I’ll go as high as 10 miles.

There’s plenty more to say, but I’ll leave it at that for now. Hit me up if you want to discuss further, but check out Science of Running. That dude trains pros and was a pro himself.

Danny from VA

Short Stroke
    Participant

If interested, I’d start here specifically: https://www.scienceofrunning.com/section-7-the-training-details?v=7516fd43adaa

Danny from VA

Profile photo of Billy
    Billy
    Participant

to tag on what johnnymac said I think he’s spot on, diets are like politics to some people. but to make it as simple as possible, if you crave it, it’s probably bad for you, if they sell it in a gas station, its probably bad for you, and if its more than one or two steps away from how God made it (processed) then it’s probably bad for you. But in the end “diets” will never work, you either eat well, or you don’t. Trying to pretend that a temporary change in eating will fix your woes is like thinking you will learn SUT watching YouTube

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

The whole diet and nutrition thing is important. But if found from experimenting over the years that what works well is highly independent. The things that work for me don’t work for my wife, or joe across the street.

For cardio, I despise running. I ruck once a week or so because I enjoy that, but my main aerobic exercise (and sprints) are done on a rowing machine. For the guys with hip/knee problems, it would be a great alternative.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Hessian
    Hessian
    Participant

While I am in full agreement with Johnnymac. Diets are like politics, and in my opinion there are many ways to skin the diet cat. Choose what works for you and keep some consistency.

Also, diets don’t have to be bland. https://cleanfoodcrush.com/blog/ offers some great options out there for clean eating recipies.

I would also recommend that people stay away from eating out of plastic, or microwaving with plastics. Use a pyrex type containers and use a paper towel as a cover to reduce xeno estrogens getting induced into your food. Storing foods in the fridge in plastic is ok but heating in plastic is never a good idea.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.