Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Logistic Support and Insurgency: Guerrilla Sustainment

Home Forums Operational and Strategic Levels Operations Planning Logistic Support and Insurgency: Guerrilla Sustainment

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Logistic Support and Insurgency

Guerrilla Sustainment and Applied Lessons of Soviet Insurgent Warfare: Why It Should Still Be Studied

This is the title of the below attachment,it’s only 47 pages long and makes some good points.

In theory it should make a good starting point of discussion.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

This why I can never be truly defeated!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

For now I am not getting into the whole Battlefield pickup deal, sure it would be a legitimate option that will need to be addressed and sorted out as an SOP. What I am talking about is what can be done right now.

OK, so how do you supply and sustain both your current Team as well as future Team(s).

Well if money is no object select your favorite company and get ordering!

For the rest of us, building sustainment equipment for caches and such, will take more time. The good news is it’s still possible!

What about Weapons and Ammo?

Consider Matthew Bracken’s essay “Arm Thy Neighbor.”

What about Field Gear?

On a small scale, the type of gear we are talking about is available at yard sales, Goodwill, Salvation Army, select Army/Navy Stores, Gun Shows, Pawn Shops (particularly near military bases), and my personal favorite for those with military base privileges, the Thrift shops located on base.

In the above I have found:

Woodland BDU’s for $5.00
    PASGT Helmets for $25.00
    Combat Boots in various sizes (sometimes with tags still on) for $2.00 to $5.00

To name just a few…

On the medium scale, deals can be had at going out of business sales and Gun Shows/Flea Markets on last day before closing. Its here we can buy in bulk for cheap.

On the large scale, we are talking Government Liquidation.

About Government Liquidation and Liquidity Services, Inc.

Government Liquidation (GL), a Liquidity Services, Inc. marketplace is the exclusive contractor of the DLA Disposition Services for the sale of surplus and scrap assets of the United States Department of Defense (DOD).

GL operates an innovative and powerful online sales channel that enables surplus buyers to purchase available government assets in a convenient and open environment. GL utilizes world-class logistics, technology, marketing and customer service capabilities to assemble and promotes available property for the convenience of its buyers. With over 500 different commodity categories and thousands of surplus items added weekly to our inventory,

GL offers surplus buyers a unique and dynamic pool of property for purchase and resale. GL’s dedicated team of professionals manage over 1 million square feet of warehouse space and maintain outposts on over 150 military bases throughout the continental U.S., Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam.

GL is part of a critical mission to keep surplus and idle inventories moving out of facilities nationwide, maximizing efficiencies, while creating a valuable cash flow source to the U.S. Treasury. This is accomplished with a strong emphasis on national security, through inventory assurance measures and strict purchasing restrictions.

Examples:

506ea(apprx) General Purpose Canteen
    Quantity in Lot: 506 (View Details)
    Auction Type: Internet Auction
    Open Time: 04/07/2014 12:00AM Eastern Time
    Close Time: 04/09/2014 05:00PM Eastern Time
    Time Left: 11 Days, 0 Hours, 24 Minutes
    Item Location: Columbus, OH
    Opening Bid: $25.00
    Current Bid: 0

125ea(apprx) Field Assault Pack, Spare,
    Component of Improved Load Bearing Equip (ILBE), Woodland Digital Camo
    Quantity in Lot: 125 (View Details)
    Time Left: 11 Days, 0 Hours, 15 Minutes
    Item Location: Lockbourne, OH

608 ea (apprx), Molle II, M16A2 Double (30 Round) Mag Pouch, Woodland Camo
    Quantity in Lot: 608 (View Details)
    Time Left: 11 Days, 0 Hours, 9 Minutes
    Item Location: Lockbourne, OH

The way to make this work would be developing a Network of people that could bid on gear, preferable find a local pick up, and distribute to the Network members on a percentage basis.

Example: Network one gave 50% of funds so they get 50% of gear.

Would above be easy? No, developing these Networks with the required trust level is not easy, but it’s not impossible either.

Having enough gear to equip as many as 20 members is not that hard if acquired over time. Sure we are talking old school basic gear, but the alternative is complete improvising and/or doing without.

Note: This is not meant to endorse surplus gear as a superior alternative to say Max’s SOR chest rig, but it would certainly be better than having nothing to distribute to someone without post-event.

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

OK, here is a big one Food…

How can you stock up on food economically?

On the individual level you can purchase a few extra items with each trip to the grocery store.

Coupons can save a ridiculous amount of money if motivated.

Military Commissaries have many deals including Case Lot Sales and can order MRE’s (if not stocked) for eligible shoppers.

There’s the BJ’s, Costco, or Sam’s Club.

If you or someone you know owns a business and has a valid re-seller’s permit (business license) or tax-exempt certificate (for a non-profit organization) and show proof that you are authorized to purchase for said business or organization. This qualifies you at many Wholesale supply stores such as Restaurant Depot, as just one example.

Check your local and state rules regarding sales tax, if transferring taxable items to yourself or group.

At the community level, if you are already part of or would consider starting a 501(c) organization, tax-exempt nonprofit organization (most Churches). You could establish a Food Pantry/Food Bank which would give you access to food for pennies on the pound.

Understand I am not suggesting you do this to subvert the system and gain access to that which you are not entitled to, what I am suggesting is you really start a program to help those in need in your community. Potentially increasing community readiness, goodwill, and providing a large stock of food in the event of an emergency which could mitigate some community problems.

Involvement in such a program opens the doors to really getting to know your community, both the good and the bad. This knowledge could prove invaluable in troubled times.

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

GWNS, great posts. Logistics are easy now. We need to take advantage of the window. Starting a business is a good option to acquire quantities of supplies. A friend of mine and I did this a few years ago and were able to purchase supplies that were critical in providing a robust, near term survival capability for our families. We closed the business, but even with the losses incurred, the benefits outweighed the costs. I may do this again in the near future.

The only easy day was yesterday

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

An often overlooked part Logistic Support is the importance of having a “Combatant/Fighter/Warrior as part of the Logistic Staff. This could be that “Crusty Old SF Guy” that was running OPs in SE Asia when even us older guys were kids or it could be that you need to rotate Mid Level experienced Troop for a few months tour.

It is very important that you have someone keeping the Fighters perspective when setting priorities. It can be easy for the support guy to get lost in what those fighting truly need.

It can be equally important for the Combatant to see first hand the difficulties involved in Guerrilla Sustainment, this too needs to filter down to the lowest level to avoid misconceptions of support staff having it easy.

As new guys are trained up, the need for confidence building missions that involve lower risk (as mentioned elsewhere in this Forum), could involve procurement of needed supplies from OPFOR.

This to demonstrates the liaison role that this position would fill as well.

Profile photo of "Mad" Anthony Wayne
    Pericles
    Participant

The GL idea has merit. There are loads of stuff that we could use, but the location is far away from where we can easily make the pick up. Would very much want to work a partnership deal with those nearby the prime locations.

Fighting communists was a lot more fun when it was a group effort conducted overseas, and not an insurgency here at home.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something not discussed enough, and with the apparent reprieve we seem to have right now you can’t afford to waste this opportunity.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Time for another look.

Think outside the box!

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

another diamond in the rough! thanks for bumping post Joe, great info. :good:

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

Thanks for the bumps, this are good old posts to go over again.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of Mountain Mom
    gramma
    Participant

A suggestion that we discussed on another forum…

pre-packaging hygiene/food/water “rations” in vacumn-sealed bags… storing these in waterproof totes… with the idea of distributing to patrols or forces in the field, as needed. Pre-asssembling the packs allows for better planning for nutrition/calories and saves time getting things where they need to go.

Lets the fighter move lighter/faster… but get dry socks, hot meals/coffee to them, if for some reason they’re needed “remotely” longer than expected. It’s also a good opportunity to bring a higher level medical person out or transfer injured out if needed.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

A suggestion that we discussed on another forum…

Here’s a Thread discussing similar Building and Using Expedient Field Rations.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.