Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Long Range Marksmanship Course – 1 (LRMC-1): September 3 – 4

Home Forums Precision Rifle Long Range Marksmanship Course – 1 (LRMC-1): September 3 – 4

This topic contains 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wild Bill wildbill 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

The first precision rifle class, the Long Range Marksmanship Course (LRMC-1), is running at VTC Romney 3 – 4 September.

You can  find class details HERE, including equipment details.

You can book HERE.

The class utilizes the range facilities at the VTC Romney, including the new 1000 yard ‘Three Ridges’ Precision Rifle Range.

The class is taught by John (Cadre Page) who is an operationally deployed army sniper, awarded the Bronze Star (Valor) for actions in Afghanistan. He has extensive experience and expertise in small unit tactics, reconnaissance, CQM/CQB, and specializes in long range and unconventional marksmanship. He has been selected to represent two Division Marksmanship Teams nationally and internationally.

Price: $500

Max
    Keymaster

Had 3 signups for this so far. 1 paid, the other 2 from guys who earned a free spot thru volunteer work. In the work up to this, there appeared to be a lot of pent up interest. So what is the status? Are you out there planning to sign up?

At the end of the day, after the backbreaking tree work and expenditure on steel, if guys are not interested, at least the SF snipers will use it.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I’m still up in the air, it’s more a matter of timing for me. I honestly wasn’t expecting the course to be so soon. I’m in the process of putting together the gear now.

Fingers crossed, I’ll be there

Profile photo of Jonny3X
    John3X
    Participant

This should be a great course if we can generate the interest necessary to make it rational to put on.

Don’t let long range scare you, you do not need a 4000.00 custom rifle for this kind of range. A decent model 700, savage model 10 or anything of that quality should do you justice out to the ranges we will be shooting. Caliber wise anything .243 and higher is preferred but not necessary.

5.56 guys you want to take your AR-15 out to it’s and your own maximum capability, I urge you to come take the course. If you’ve got a decent set-up I can pretty much guarantee you will be hitting steel at 600 on day two.

If you’ve never shot long range, this course will be a perfect introduction. If you’re a long range guru, the ranges at MVT will be a fresh wake up from 95% of the ranges you typically shoot at and add a variety of complex variables that will push your math and ability even further.

I can’t wait and hope to see you all there in September!

– John

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

The instructor bio link is not active on the course listing page. It also might be helpful to highlight John’s background more prominently on the course page as that is where new people are most likely to land and his experience is clearly a major selling point of the class.

Profile photo of Books
    The Librarian
    Participant

I would also love to do this, but I didn’t expect it so soon.

Georgia - RS/CTT-8/16

Max
    Keymaster

Page is updated. HERE.

Max
    Keymaster

This is precisely why some of you can’t have nice things. We busted our balls (literally) and sweated ourselves to exhaustion hacking out this range from the woods of WV, due to demand for a precision range and much encouragement to make it happen. Then, after all that, it’s ‘too soon.’

This class is happening in September, however many people actually book. As long as I can pay John, it is happening. BFYTW.

At least the effort will be worth it, becasue the SF guys want the range and will use is. All the more reason to pivot more to SF.

Is there a middle finger smiley face?

:good:

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Everything is ordered, just received scope yesterday.

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

Seekins 6.5CM zeroed and ready to learn!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Jonny3X
    John3X
    Participant

Awesome, can’t wait for this course. I just ran my personal rifle out to a 1000m on Thursday and was able to hold a 3 round group at 3.25″ inches… the rest of my groups were in the 5-7″ range….

Also just got the magnetospeed chronograph for the course and it’s working flawlessly. This will let us true your guns up and get workable data generated so we’re not throwing away ammo once we get on the big boy range.

Last thing – get in while you can if this ends up being a smaller class that means one thing and one thing only…. more one on one time with the instructor with more overall range time for you.

– John

Profile photo of Jonny3X
    John3X
    Participant

Hell yeah man that should be pretty nasty out there, how large were your zero groups?

-John

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

Groups were about .75 at 100 yds with 147gr which it didn’t seem to like as much as the 120gr. Re-zeroing tomorrow with the 140 ELD Match I bought for the class plus had to remount scope to install a bubble level. Is a level something you recommend?

Profile photo of Jonny3X
    John3X
    Participant

@veritas556,

Absolutely levels are awesome, especially when shooting from uneven terrain or alternate firing positions.

I run a Hours ASLI, that helps you compute angle fire as well. To be honest I’ve only ever really needed the angle portion on a few rare occasions. It may be nice on the new MVT range (i’ll find out next weekend), but a basic level set up is what’s most helpful.

I also just ordered 200rds of 140ELD match because that’s what my rifle grouped best with, I was a bit disappointed to hear from one of my friends that he had a standard deviation of 42fps on a box he chronographed a couple weeks back, and that was with removing the high and low shot from the measurement. Now that I’ve got the magnetospeed I’ll be testing ammo every chance I get to see what the deviations are.

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

Absolutely levels are awesome, especially when shooting from uneven terrain or alternate firing positions.
    I run a Hours ASLI, that helps you compute angle fire as well.

That answered two questions I had but considering I live in Western Carolina with similar terrain to MTC I should have know these were items that I would need especially the ASLI if my range finder that computes angles/distance went down; thanks John looking forward to the class.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.