Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Max Talk 032: AR/M4 Malfunction Clearance

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 032: AR/M4 Malfunction Clearance

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Velocity Max 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Like. Share. Subscribe.

Profile photo of riflemaniv
    riflemaniv
    Participant

Another great video. I’ve been doing these drills occasionally while watching tv after my kids go to bed. I have been using the red anodized aluminum snap caps. The one issue I found is while trying to do the bolt over ride drill they lock my rifle up tight. I almost could not get it unassed using the mortar method. Has anyone had success with other types of dummy rounds? I was thinking the Magpul dummies might work out better.

CTT1504, NODF 1504, CP 1610

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

Spent brass case is best for bolt override. The steel snap caps suck for the bolt override.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Good detailed info, just as we were taught at class. Appreciated the tip about taking a moment/breath to think about what you’re seeing in the ejection port.

Also the tip about putting away the double-feed mag… solves that ‘french fry’ problem too (rounds sticking out of a mag, making it a bad idea to stick it back in the gun after clearing the double-feed. I did that at class and had to knock it against my leg to get the loose rounds out when I should have just grabbed a new mag).

I do dry fire clearance practice with those inert 5.56 rounds sold on eBay. They have the original bullet and casing but primer and powder are gone and pocket filled with a colored rubber material. They feed and eject like real rounds. Doublefeeds mangle them so I buy new ones periodically.

Another helpful thing I’ve done is take ‘1st person perspective’ photos of looking into the ejection port for each type of malfunction. Then like flashcards I can flip through the pics randomly on my phone and practice identifying what I’m seeing (and mentally going through the procedure).

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Idaho Cajun
    idahocajun
    Participant

Thanks Max! Great video. We continue to practice the “Mystery 6”-(Liz Urban Trademarked) every time we hit the range. Find it helpful having battle buddy set up the malfunction then figuring out and clearing it. Keep them coming!

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Thanks Max! Great video. We continue to practice the “Mystery 6”-(Liz Urban Trademarked) every time we hit the range. Find it helpful having battle buddy set up the malfunction then figuring out and clearing it. Keep them coming!

We did this in SWAT and to this day we do the same. When the shooter sets it up, he/she is expecting it and even knows what malfunction will happen. With handguns, we even set up multiple malfunctions in a row – the expected solution of going to a different magazine; you’d be surprised how many experienced members kept clearing the malfunction only to have another……

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

Do not try bolt over ride malfunction clearance with single piece dummy rounds. It is not effective training for the drill.

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Another great video, just like in Class! Regrann on IG!

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Thanks very good video, if I may say you are getting a video persona in a good way going.

But face it you are in an uphill battle cuz the tube zombies want the Easy Button in life. While your video had more views than normal (trending up is good) a video came up in the side bar “Blondie shoots full auto Uzi, 3m views”

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

Another great video with good info as always. :good:

Profile photo of mtlroofer
    mtlroofer
    Participant

first off, thank you for making this a free site! second, after watching the video (and listening closely for the click) i could not tell, and you did not mention if you went on safe when you had the ftf or on any of the drills. i know some instructors are adamant about this and some arent. just curious as to your position on this.
    your videos are really good. i hope to be able to train with you someday.
    thanks again!

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

first off, thank you for making this a free site! second, after watching the video (and listening closely for the click) i could not tell, and you did not mention if you went on safe when you had the ftf or on any of the drills. i know some instructors are adamant about this and some arent. just curious as to your position on this.
    your videos are really good. i hope to be able to train with you someday.
    thanks again!

Not on safe. This was explained in at least one of the videos. Only on safe if you need to move prior to clearing the stoppage. Other than that, on safe at all times unless engaging a target. With a stoppage, you are engaging a target.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.