Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Max Talk 033: Why the 'Lone Wolf Operator' will Die (1): Breaking Contact

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Max Talk Series Max Talk 033: Why the 'Lone Wolf Operator' will Die (1): Breaking Contact

This topic contains 24 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Really great choice Max! ;-)

Should make for some interesting comments.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Nice! I would think this is too irresistible for the armchair commando to pass up commenting on.

In reference to the scenario, the hope would be that your initial fire is enough to kill/wound them sufficiently that they cannot/do not return effective fire. You’re forced to move without any cover fire, so there’s a decent chance you catch a round in the back.

Is the plan for a part 2 to have a discussion about it?

Max
    Keymaster

Is the plan for a part 2 to have a discussion about it?

Not really, my intent was

(1) Pure mischief.
    (2) Make a high speed shooting video.

Part 2 of this will probably be an assault version. I had a gopro version of that up a long time ago, using the two cameras will probably be better.

Already a comment on the Tube: “plenty of time between position changes for any combination of 3 bad guys to shoot you.” That is obviously from either a guy who agrees with my premise, or who does not get what I was trying to show at all.

Granted, you may get out if you can kill/suppress enough to not get shot in the back as you move. But you may also die.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

the two cameras

Oh yeah, you reminded me, the camera down range did a pretty good job of picking up the cracks of the incoming rounds!

:good:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Granted, you may get out if you can kill/suppress enough to not get shot in the back as you move. But you may also die.

I am preaching to the choir here, but a “solo” has one thing going for them, stealth. Soon as shots ring out your betting on a piss poor opposition reaction!

A big gamble. :unsure:

One commenter mentioned smoke, sure why not. Couldn’t hurt if conditions are right for it. Tear gas, grenades, and WP too. ;-)

At best these are desperation moves and they better be military style since I have problems seeing anyone pulling out their Zippo under fire to light a fuse. :wacko:

Part 2 of this will probably be an assault version.

Hell I could probably make a good case for why attacking your four OPFOR is a better desperate option than breaking contact.

Don’t think the odds would be worse. ;-)

A good rebel yell and into the breach! :whistle:

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

A few accounts from Rhodesia had the “gooks” running away with the AK pointed backwards over the shoulder spewing the hate.

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

GREAT video! The 2 cam setup gave great perspective and is super useful on any future movement-type videos. Now if you can do literally the same video but with a buddy (the wife unit?) the point will really be made. Video 1 = the problem, video 2 = the start of a solution.

Max
    Keymaster

Kicking off in YouTube comments. Just what I wanted.

Grayman Tactics is butthurt. Does he teach lone wolf? Whoever he is, he must be a shitty trainer, as he does not understand the concept of a range and scenario, whether it is on my own property or not.

The point is that although I stated the lone wolf would die, of course I wouldn’t, because I am awesome LOL. But I am not sure how many of those lone wolves could actually run the drill as per the video.

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

GREAT video! +1 on the 2 cam setup as mentioned.

Max
    Keymaster

Did Grayman Tactical delete iomself after my response? Don’t see the comment?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Did Grayman Tactical delete iomself after my response? Don’t see the comment?

As soon as you mentioned it I went to check him out and comment was gone.

Sad, I really like outing a fools background!

Profile photo of D Close
    D Close

The pauses between shot groups say it all. As soon as the loner is prevented from moving, it is going to be over. Find, fix, finish. You’ve been found. Once fixed, you will be finished.

The only easy day was yesterday

Profile photo of Hessian
    Hessian
    Participant

The porch sniper may have gotten the best of Max before he got his first shot off. Obviously the infamous porch sniper has a NIR and thermal blocking air conditioned ghillie suit (even the Predator from the scifi movies would be in trouble).

But in all seriousness excellent video. You have quite a few comments and it looks like this might gain some additional traction that you were seeking. :good:

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

The pauses between shot groups say it all. As soon as the loner is prevented from moving, it is going to be over. Find, fix, finish. You’ve been found. Once fixed, you will be finished.

Bold – Not to be morbid, but didn’t SF find this out in Niger (2017)?? Both were running versus bounding backwards with continued fire.

Italics – ANYONE who has been through MVT’s CQB/F-on-F learns this …dispels the myth of fixed defense rather quickly…..

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Not to be morbid, but didn’t SF find this out in Niger (2017)??

Sad, but ultimately true. The greater the number of OPFOR and the limited cover/concealment reduce chances of survival.

There are areas within my AO that have extremely dense foliage that would provide concealment within a single bound, but this is hardly the case for most.

Obviously there are methods to increase odds minimally, but it is hardly worth getting into as it just increases the fantasy of the “lone wolf” as a option beyond anything than a desperate evasion scenario!

Profile photo of Dave37
    dave37
    Participant

I’m loving the new clickbait style video titles. This deserves more exploration.

“This tiny Culpeper, VA company is disrupting a 2 Billion dollar industry!”

“Tactical trainers hate this! They don’t want you to find out about this online…”

“British expatriate discovers how to cut down a little bit of your tactical derp every day with this one wierd old trick”

Texas CTT/Mobility 2017, Missouri 1 Day CQB 2017, Texas HEAT 2 2018

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

:yahoo:

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Maybe Grayman was Beehive Bubba Sniper from years ago and he still nurses a grudge?

Profile photo of Daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

Even with the pauses you went through some ammo. It was, what, 2 magazines for sure? That’s half or more of your load and the chase has hardly begun.

Max
    Keymaster

Even with the pauses you went through some ammo. It was, what, 2 magazines for sure? That’s half or more of your load and the chase has hardly begun.

2 mags. 4 left.

Interesting YouTube comments. Clearly there is a hive of non-tactical spider hole madness fantasy out there. Guys who have no training and experience.

The guys who get me most are the ones with no comprehension of a live fire range or scenario. With cameras set up to film! They want to be 500nb yards out of shot in a spider hole sniper position. :wacko:

Profile photo of Daniel
    Daniel
    Participant

Yes I saw some of those comments. They sure dug in hard and fast – no thought or consideration.

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

Okay, I said I wouldn’t comment on the videos but this was a damn good one. Provocative enough to catch some attention, quick and on-point.

One commenter mentioned smoke, sure why not. Couldn’t hurt if conditions are right for it. Tear gas, grenades, and WP too. ;-)

At best these are desperation moves and they better be military style since I have problems seeing anyone pulling out their Zippo under fire to light a fuse. :wacko:

+1

The one night op I was on our assault team in Tabqa, one tilih (what we called our homebrew bombs) failed to explode, then another had the det cord pop out while I tried to get the tape off the end, then on a third my crappy regular lighter wouldn’t get the det cord lit so another guy had to run over and hit it with his storm lighter.

Would I want to deal with that alone with a squad of dudes hunting after me? Nopenopenopenopenope.

Only way you get out is if you have damn good cover while you fiddle with your bomb and/or the enemy is incompetent or hesitant to push forward.

Maybe some of the airsoft smoke grenades might work for a bit of concealment, don’t know enough about those to give a fair opinion.

A few accounts from Rhodesia had the “gooks” running away with the AK pointed backwards over the shoulder spewing the hate.

Can confirm this is something that is still suggested by folks in some third world countries. Not something I would want to do, though, unless I fully expect the enemy to be scared of inaccurate fire.

Maybe if they’re attempting to retreat (not assault!) in a dense urban environment a lone wolf could survive, but they’re fucked in open terrain.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

The one night op I was on our assault team in Tabqa, one tilih (what we called our homebrew bombs) failed to explode, then another had the det cord pop out while I tried to get the tape off the end, then on a third my crappy regular lighter wouldn’t get the det cord lit so another guy had to run over and hit it with his storm lighter.

Would I want to deal with that alone with a squad of dudes hunting after me? Nopenopenopenopenope.

Only way you get out is if you have damn good cover while you fiddle with your bomb and/or the enemy is incompetent or hesitant to push forward.

Maybe some of the airsoft smoke grenades might work for a bit of concealment, don’t know enough about those to give a fair opinion.
    ……….

@rampantraptor
    Not to derail this topic, but I do have some experience with civilian level smoke grenades. They are 90% shit. But you knew that already…
    The ONLY real option are the Enola Gaye EG18X (or any other WIRE PULL) smokes. The “18”-size smokes are big enough to give off a decent cloud of smoke, and the “X” means they’ll do so at a fast enough rate to actually be useful. From what I’ve seen of videos of real smoke grenades, they are still about 1/2-2/3 the duration and density of a mil smoke. You *could* also use the smaller “original”-sized wire pull version, but you’d have to toss a couple of them out to get a big enough cloud going, so unless storage space is a huge concern… not really worth it, just go with the 18X ones.

Anyway, aside from that the takeaway here is simple- wire pull smokes are WAY better than those shit-tier fuse-activated civ. smokes, but to deploy the thing you still have to…
    >get it out of pouch
    >pull ring
    >chuck it
    Which, if you’re by yourself… is still time spent NOT shooting back…

But I keep one on my kit anyway, because fuck it. B-)

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

WELL DONE!!

Short, sweet, to the point!

Like having 2 different perspectives with cameras.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.