Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Medical blog

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

This couple (a MD and a NP) do a good job of breaking information down. Some may recognize the names “Dr Bones and Nurse Amy”….

Home

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I listened to some of their podcasts.

Profile photo of BradyBunch
    BradyBunch
    Participant

I got the Antibiotics and Infectious Disease book from Dr. Alton as my Xmas present. It is comprehensive. Starts off with educational chapters on what are viruses and bacteria, then proceeds to symptoms of infection, standard treatment and alternative treatment. Great knowledge for lay people like me.
    Amazon 23$

wheelsee
    Participant

I got the Antibiotics and Infectious Disease book from Dr. Alton as my Xmas present. It is comprehensive. Starts off with educational chapters on what are viruses and bacteria, then proceeds to symptoms of infection, standard treatment and alternative treatment. Great knowledge for lay people like me.
    Amazon 23$

It will also give you more insight with today’s medicine. My wife just got over a cold. Went to the doc as her cough was really keeping her awake. The PA offered both an antibiotic injection and a prescription. My wife declined the injection but took the prescription. We filled it and put it up in the cabinet. It sucks (piss-poor medicine) but one can go to most ANY of the little urgent care’s and get a Rx for “a cold” (read virus).

I’ve used antibiotics almost 20 years old (Keflex) for a skin infection that worked fine. (NOT to be taken as medical advice).

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

I picked up some antibiotics over the counter in Mexico while traveling. Canada used to have Aspirin with Codeine. They no longer have that over the counter, they turned it into a prescription. When you’re traveling check the pharmacies and see what’s available.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

wheelsee
    Participant

Now……having said above, let me introduce you to the opposite end of the spectrum. One of my attendings is from Pakistan. He received a C&S (culture and sensitivity) report from one of his colleagues back in Pakistan. See attached.

Notice that the organism is resistant to ALL antibiotics tested. Apparently, in Pakistan, one can go to any store and buy abx (antibiotics) OTC (over-the-counter)……. BTW, if the attached doesn’t scare you (or cause concern), your understanding of microbiology is lacking (IMHO)…….because the ID (Infectious Disease) folks I work with, ARE concerned…….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

I work out here in west Texas and there are oil field workers from everywhere that have flocked here. There is not enough local housing for all of them so they have something called “man camps.” Basically portable housing units that have little apartments.

Illnesses sweeps through those camps. Also have quite a few transients passing through on I-10.

In both cases, camps and transients, by the time they get sick enough to call for the ambulance they are septic or well down that road.

Their resistance to antibiotics is worrisome for me.

Profile photo of mark9mmp
    mark9mmp
    Participant

Not exactly on topic but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this blog https://prolongedfieldcare.org , the podcast is great too.

Just a regular guy. Native Kansan and current Okie.

wheelsee
    Participant

Not exactly on topic but I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this blog https://prolongedfieldcare.org , the podcast is great too.

Its still on topic…..and its a good resource…… :good: :good:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.