Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Medical clearances and the "thin-line" of chronic disease

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Medical clearances and the "thin-line" of chronic disease

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Mea culpa!!

Been an asthmatic all of my life, spent most of my childhood summers in the hospital. While medicine has come a LONG ways in the use of long-term medications, there is still need for rescue medicines.

I had my annual check-up yesterday and cleared for moderate PT with the statement of my asthma is well-controlled on my current medicines and no use of rescue inhaler in over a couple of years. Today, did the second day of Intermediate Plan with walk-jog. Got to the 2nd jog and hit the wall of not being able to breath well, chest tightening, and audible wheezing. DANG IT!! Looking back had forgotten to take my inhaler (control). Ended up walking back and the wheezing/tightness eased up. Got home and took my rescue inhaler with relief < 60 seconds.

I AM medical, all of my adult life. One small mis-step can seriously derail one’s life. Will now be adding my rescue inhaler to my kit.

LESSONs
    1. make sure you take your meds AS PRESCRIBED!!
    2. If you have rescue meds (asthma, COPD, diabetes, cardiac), CARRY THEM AT ALL TIMES!!
    3. Keep your physician informed of all changes in activity.

And, yes, even those heavily involved can get complacent, to the detriment.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

wheelsee, still ain’t made it for that test. Been busy on the ambulance, but I am starting to think I don’t really want to know.

On the other hand. I have actually been running and am doing a mile in about 15 minutes, plus or minus a minute or two. The pace is usually 3.7 miles an hour for one minute and then upping it to 4.3 miles per hour for a minute and a half.

On days I do squats and deadlifts I have to run first cuz there’s only about 3 minutes worth of 3.5 mph left in the tank.

I am recovering quicker though. Lunges still eat my lunch.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Starting to improve. I took for granted my basic health.

Another lesson learned – those with chronic disease WILL have less of a reserve capacity. Meaning everyday life may not create a problem as we have learned what we can do and what we can’t do. HOWEVER, if we ever get in a situation where we have to really push it, our ability to actually do it may be severely hampered.

Train now, train regularly.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.