Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Motivational Training Log

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Tactical Fitness Motivational Training Log

This topic contains 152 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JohnnyMac JohnnyMac 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 153 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I thought I would start a post in which people can share their fitness accomplishments (other than the 2-mile ruck).

Break-through performances, personal records, “gut checks”, competitions, even just BIG first steps, etc….any physical effort that YOU deem noteworthy, share it here. Your post might just be what gets someone else out the door or off the couch.

If you can, include a picture!

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Todays:

45 min AMRAP w/20# PC:
    4x 40m Shuttle Run w/Sledgehammer
    20x Sledgehammer On Tire
    10x Tire Flips
    4x Sandbag Drag 15m, 80#

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Does Jiu Jitsu count? Just started doing that 2 hours 3x per week.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Does Jiu Jitsu count? Just started doing that 2 hours 3x per week.

Sweet! How’s it going, now that you’re a few weeks in?

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Being that I’m totally new at it my knowledge of it is limited but what is already clear is:
    – The cardio level is completely different. Dieseling up a mountain with 30-40lbs on your back @ 3mph for 4 hours is wayyyy different than 5min rounds for 1 hour.
    – The mental benefits of Jiu Jitsu probably outweigh the physical or even fighting benefits, IMO. The way you have to keep your calm, remain physically relaxed, think, maneuver, technique, and then blast through just transfers everywhere in life.
    – If you thought you were a badass when you walked in you will not when you walk out.

There are tournaments with rules, points, weight classes, etc.

If you’re interested @Robert would be able to tell you a lot more about it.

Now that we’re off on a side topic: Still need to get my tire and hammer! Got a tire lined up. Will post a postmortem selfie after first workout with it :yahoo:

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Now that we’re off on a side topic: Still need to get my tire and hammer! Got a tire lined up. Will post a postmortem selfie after first workout with it :yahoo:

I’m really digging the sand bag lately. It’s smaller and a little more multifaceted.

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

A big one? Like punching bag size? Drop some knowledge on me Yoda.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

JohnnyMac
    Participant

@tango, see the post I whipped up this morning.

Today’s workout involved suitcase carries. I underestimated the difficulty of these at 95#. Take it easy at first when trying these out.

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

I’ve been working on the cardio prepping for the freedom run.

http://freedomsrun.org/RaceDetails.aspx#aSub1

I started last May running, went through a hip injury, which by the way I did a FoF with then a 13 mile mountain hike the following weekend. Got back in in February and did the OpFor for you guys. One thing I am getting out of the distance running is the very fast recovery times on my O2 levels. MY goal is to do the freedoms run this fall. In the meantime we have been hitting the weights, chin up bar in the basement, plus tossing feed 50# bags everyday.

This weekend I ran a 10K Saturday (2nd this month)then Mothers day we did a five mile hike, with scouts, with my patrol pack. I’m taking them through the hiking merit badge

My fitness goals: do my first full marathon this fall then go to the dark side. Next year I want to complete the Catoctin 50k, I know several runners in our club that exclusively trail run and this is a bitch. Good aspect is its right above my house and I can run it any time.

Catoctin 50K Trail Run

http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/middletown-md/catoctin-50k-course-1447894

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Nice @trailman! A 50k sounds loooooong lol

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Today was something I’ve been meaning to do for a while…the sled pull mile. I did this with a 176 lb. sled, which is roughly my bodyweight, along a 400m length of road, out and back twice.

This was absolutely brutal! Not the hardest workout of all time, but definitely the hardest in recent memory. About a quarter of the way through I wasn’t even confident I could make it. But I just kept plugging along, putting one foot in front of the other and setting short goals, saying things to myself like “make it to that trash can” or “ok, you can take a rest after that parked car”. I live in a friendly town, and so I even got a few words of encouragement/astonishment from a few passerby. I went into this with a goal of NLT 40 minutes and finished with only 24 seconds to spare. Coming towards the finish line, I didn’t even know if my time had expired- I just gave it my all.

Is the time impressive, nope, but it’s these sorts of occasional gutchecks that allow you to practice digging deep and showing to yourself that you’re capable of more than you think.

Get out there.

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

@johnnymac nice workout man! keep up the momentum :good:

Profile photo of JeffSags
    JeffSags
    Participant

:good: I like these threads. Great for variety and new ideas.

My workout today:

30 min AMRAP

5 pullups
    15 incline push-ups (toes on fitness/stability ball)
    25 thrusters (w/ 40lbs slam ball)
    10 dips
    20 single arm rows (w/ 55lbs db)
    7 burpees

Got almost 5 full rounds

CRCD AUG 13, CRCD MAR 14, CP AUG 14, CR MAR 15, Shivworks ECQC, MVT RIFLEMAN, CTT AUG 16, CQBC

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

:good: I like these threads. Great for variety and new ideas.

My workout today:

30 min AMRAP

5 pullups
    15 incline push-ups (toes on fitness/stability ball)
    25 thrusters (w/ 40lbs slam ball)
    10 dips
    20 single arm rows (w/ 55lbs db)
    7 burpees

Got almost 5 full rounds

I like the sound of this workout. Will have to give it a try!

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Nice job Jeff!

I don’t have a picture, but after some strength training here was my workout from yesterday:

20 Min As Many Rounds as Possible (AMRAP):
    Farmer Carry Slalom (75# dumbells)
    60m of 3 sec Rushes (I’m up, he sees me, I’m down)
    5x Sandbag Front Squat 100#

5 rounds + a few ft. of farmers carries.

This was a great workout. The slalom had 5 turns to it before turning around and cutting up the middle back to the start point. The turns really forced me to focus on stability, footwork, and as usual, grip. Anecdotally, I’m getting a lot out of making them a regular part of my programming. The front squats don’t sound that bad, but after the lung-burning rushes, they sucked far more than you would think.

Next time I do something similar, I’ll add a vest. It’s all about being able to move fast under load.

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Great cross fit workout today. I started in April of last year and it’s one of the best choices I’ve ever made. I was really out of shape when I started and was really nervous about starting but everyone at the classes was great.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Darkrivers
    Participant

Here’s the workout. Had to reduce the pic size.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Here’s the workout. Had to reduce the pic size.

Awesome!!!! :good:

Darkrivers
    Participant

Cross fit today.
    3×10 strict press 55#
    3×10 ring row

10 minutes alternating every minute
    12 ring rows 1st 3rd 5th 7th 9th minute
    12 push ups 2nd 4th 6th 8th 10th minute

Metcom
    50 single under jump rope 10 mountain climbers
    15 shoulder to over head
    40 single under jump rope 8 mountain climbers
    10 shoulder to overhead
    30 single under jump rope 6 mountain climbers
    5 shoulder to overhead
    200 meter sprint

4:56 at 65 pounds :wacko:

Darkrivers
    Participant

Rough workout today! 105 heat index.

Attachments:

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Rough workout today! 105 heat index.

I’m not sure how long you’ve been at this, but just a word of advice- never sacrifice form for extra reps, especially with the snatch.

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

It’s been hot here as well, in the 105°F +/- heat index everyday. I have a partial set of weights from high school in the early 90’s that I use, plus I utilize what ever I can find around the rancho here in the shop. I have a big tractor tire that I flip or hit with a 16lb sledge, an old beer keg that I put a little water in, and the other day we were out checking cows and they had finished up a 225lb molasses tub (which I have in a 20″ truck tire so they won’t flip it over as easy) we put out and I thought “hey, I can drag that thing around the house with a little water in it for weight using a tow strap”….pics attached. The rubber tire increases the friction quite a bit, on the gravel/caliche drive it’s not too bad, but when it hits grass the drag increases considerably!! Legs were a burning and not just from the heat index!

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Let me try getting one of these pics to attach correctly. Sorry about that.

Attachments:

~ Little - South Texas

Darkrivers
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I am always careful about that. Also the crossfit gym I go to is very strict about proper form. I typically will go a little lighter and focus on a quicker pace and consistently moving than on heavier weights. I’ve been doing it for about a year and a half. Best thing I’ve ever done.

Darkrivers
    Participant

Thats cool! what part of the country are you at?

Darkrivers
    Participant

Workout today

3×15 behind neck presses 35 pounds
    Then-
    20 jumping squats
    20 kettle bell swings 35 pounds
    20 sand bell slams 20 pounds
    20 front rack lunges 45 pounds
    20 ring rows
    20 wall balls 10 pounds
    20 power cleans 55 pounds
    20 box jumps
    20 overhead squats 55 pounds
    100 meter sprint every 2 minutes on the minute
    I finished in 19:36

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Today’s Workout:
    Hang Clean: worked up to 225#
    Front Squat 5×3 @225#
    Romanian Deadlift: 3×8 @ 185#

12 min AMRAP (as many rounds as possible):
    Airdyne .5 mile
    10x Push Press 95#
    10x Strict Pullups

3 Rounds + .2 miles

…come on guys, join in with Darkrivers and I! B-)

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Today: One mile kettlebell shuffle with 30 pounders (Padro, thanks for the suggestion). Not nonstop. A quarter mile shuffle alternated with a quarter mile walk to relax the calves and forearms. I started last Sunday going half as far and did it again on Tu and Th. It messed with my regular MWF workout, but overall good.

MWF workout:
    4-5 sets of the following
    (last week I could only do 3 on M & W and 4 on F)
    30 pushups
    20 squats coordinated with 25# upright row (1x each arm, 40 squats total)
    30 situps
    20x 30# lawnmower pulls with each arm
    10x up/dwn 15 steps, skipping every other one going up
    I usually go hard for an hour.

Johnny and Darkrivers may have to post some videos. I don’t know what some of those exercises are. Crossfit wasn’t a thing when I was lifting 30 yrs ago.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Darkrivers
    Participant

Cross fit today. Hot. Didn’t think I could finish…. but I did.

Back squats
    1×8 at 145#
    1×6 at 165#
    1×6 at 175#
    THEN

27-21-15-9
    Thruster 65#
    Toes to bar

Rest 2 minutes

12-9-6
    Power snatch 65#
    100 meter sprint
    Finished in 23:43.

Most Cross fit gyms have a free community workout on the weekends so new people can try it. It’s a great way to get your PT.
    Happy 4th of July!!

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

I was hoping to participate in the Fitness Challenge, but injured my wrist during week 1 doing the bear crawl thing.

However, I kept up the running, and this week started repeating the 12 week RC fitness plan.
    This first week starts relatively gently but I remember it ramps up quite a bit in weeks 2 and 3. I’m already sore from the strength exercises working muscles that must not get used a lot, but having done the plan once before helps a lot in knowing I can do it.

I am pleased about one thing I’ll brag about a little- I pinged hard on several different guys down here in FL, and was able to manshame at least one of them into buying the plan and doing it along with me. After the trash talk, there’s no way I can back out of it now! (That’s part of why I’m posting it here, too, in the motivational PT section)

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.