Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Mullvad VPN Service

Home Forums Radio & Communication Mullvad VPN Service

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I haven’t been using this very long however I thought it worth bringing to the Forums attention.

From their site:

Mullvad is a VPN service that helps keep your online activity, identity, and location private.

Only €5/month – We accept Bitcoin, cash, bank wire, credit card (PayPal), and Swish.

Browse the web securely

When you connect to the internet with Mullvad, we ensure that the traffic to and from your computer is encrypted to the highest standards – even if you are using a public WiFi network at a cafe or hotel. Evade hackers and trackers.

Keep your privacy

We keep no activity logs, do not ask for personal information, and even encourage anonymous payments via Bitcoin and cash. Your IP address is replaced by one of ours, ensuring that your device’s activity and location are not linked to you.

Easy to use

Using Mullvad is straightforward and simple – just download and install the client. You won’t need to waste time with setup configurations or a multi-step registration process. We built Mullvad with ease of use in mind.

Privacy is a universal right.

We truly believe in this statement. In fact, our ultimate goal is to make internet censorship and mass surveillance completely ineffective. If you’ve never given privacy much thought, then start with our blog post on the fundamentals of privacy, including how to protect your online presence and why we take it so seriously.

Privacy Policy

At Mullvad, we do not store activity logs of any kind. This means that when someone requires us to divulge information about our customers, we have no information to give out. However, credit card payments and bank transfers leave records. These are kept by the banks and card companies, something that we can’t erase. To pay anonymously, use cash or Bitcoin.

Amagicom AB

The legal entity operating Mullvad is Amagicom AB. The name “Amagicom” is derived from the Sumerian word ama-gi – the oldest word for “freedom” or, literary, “back to mother” in the context of slavery – and the abbreviation for communication. Amagicom stands for “free communication.”

Team

Amagicom is 100% owned by founders Fredrik Strömberg and Daniel Berntsson who are actively involved in the company. The rest of the team includes Robin Lövgren, Simon Andersson, Linus Färnstrand, Richard Mitra, Erik Larkö, Sanny Mitra, and Jan Jonsson.

I like this as an option:

Send cash if you’d like to pay anonymously. We accept any currency.

Finally have a use for all that left over “funny money” I’ve been too lazy to do something with. ;-)

Check out their privacy guides even if not interested in their service.

As far as speed is concerned, that’s a relative thing. It seems plenty fast for me.

List of their VPN servers.

You can try it free for 3 hours.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

With something like this, how do you know it is what it says it is?

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With something like this, how do you know it is what it says it is?

The basic answer:

Well in my case I use Linux, so everything is open source and checked by more advanced users than me.

What is the history/reputation of company?

Next you can check your own current IP, vice the one from the VPN.

Lastly, there is no actual traceable connection to you if using cash.

No option is perfect.

Lastly have you changed your MAC address? Particularly if device is hard attached to you for example “how you purchased device,” was it registered to you, etc…

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

What’s the best way to change one’s MAC address?
    I used to have a Windows program I downloaded from … somewhere, that said it did that. It even changed the MAC address to mimic various electronic products that you could pull of a list (so it said). Then one day, my protection software alerted on it and said it was malware, so I uninstalled it.

Is there a simple way to do it? What do you change your MAC address to?

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It’s going to vary depending on your OS and sometimes hardware.

With my Linux it’s as easy as going to “Network Manager” and entering a Cloned MAC address. You can have it do random MAC addresses with every connection, but I base mine on unrelated manufactures equipment and I have a different MAC for each physical location I use computers and I periodically change them.

I used to have a Windows program I downloaded from…

I think it’s easier with Linux and macOS. You have to research throughly with windows products and sometimes security will call it bad (malware), but this isn’t always true.

Three possibilities: it is malware, it’s a glitch, it’s a attempt to keep you away from such hostile stuff.

Windows just doesn’t cut it for me, way too many vulnerabilities.

There are ways to have computers that run both for people that are saddled by work requirements. Some Windows software can be run in a “virtual” windows environment within Linux and I think macOS.

Lastly besides privacy issues you should have Internet capability for work in a censoring country, so you are prepared if things ever went bad here.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Oh I forgot to mention the way I get/use my computers the MAC address isn’t connected to me anyway.

A layered approach involves proper use of hardware, software, and operation with the goal of even if one part fails or is defeated it still leads nowhere, in theory.

If a big time state actor is targeting you, the off switch is your only option.

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

I used to have a Windows program I downloaded from … somewhere, that said it did that. It even changed the MAC address to mimic various electronic products that you could pull of a list (so it said). Then one day, my protection software alerted on it and said it was malware, so I uninstalled it.

Is there a simple way to do it? What do you change your MAC address to?

?? you MAC address is only locally identifiable. Its the IP address that stays with the packet.

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    trailman
    Participant

Your MAC address travels as far as your router i.e.layer 3 device, they are only used locally. Of all the identifying issues with security they are one of the least.

Can a MAC address be traced?

In the case of wireless it uses the mac to ID the client on the system, that’s a different MAC than your NIC card. And while the address is theoretically unique its not necessarily identifying. Plus the level of effort to collect that data is not insignificant.

http://thehackernews.com/2014/01/spying-agencies-tracking-your-location_31.html

And to begin with who uses public WiFi to send and receive sensitive information anyways?

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

And to begin with who uses public WiFi to send and receive sensitive information anyways?

For me it isn’t about sensitive, it’s general privacy, anything I can do to aid in that is done.

Lastly don’t assume it is only local or everything known is truly known.

YMMV ;-)

trailman
    Participant

yeah sorry, I believe I tend to let my professional experience contradict your wisdom. I sincerely apologize.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

yeah sorry, I believe I tend to let my professional experience contradict your wisdom. I sincerely apologize.

I think we aren’t communicating well. :unsure:

Even with the latest Wikileaks revelations, I don’t assume to know every trick available to the various actors. I assume there are methods available that are not generally known to even high end computer expert’s.

What I think I know may not truly be the final fact.

I would be shocked to find out that I am aware of all of Ft Meade’s tricks.

What may not be a concern in todays climate, may change in tomorrow’s.

Generally until proven otherwise, I always assume by default that any adversary I face is smarter, better equipped, better trained, and greatly outnumbers me. I apply this to all areas.

Hopefully this clears up the point of view I have regarding this.

It isn’t about questioning anyones “professional experience.” :yes:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.