Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

MVT Functional Fitness Prereq

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Tactical Fitness MVT Functional Fitness Prereq

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Winston winston 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

We beta tested this over the weekend. We have firmed up the test. It will look like this:

Set up a 10 meter shuttle. Have 2 x 20lb hand weights for a farmer carry. We used sandbacks with 550 cord / pvc handles. Wear equipment – PC or chest rig – weighing no less than 15lb. No rifle.

4 rounds of:

5 x modified burpees.
    Shuttle out and back = 20 meters.
    10 alternating lunges.
    Farmer carry shuttle x 2 = 40 meters

Begin next round.

Guys who did the 5 burpee version were clocking times around 4 minutes for 4 rounds. At this time the cut-off is 6 minutes. This can be done concentrating on correct form, steady execution of the exercises, and even walking the shuttles, within the 6 minutes.

Modified Burpee: standing erect, drop to chest to the ground, back up to fully erect. This simulates going prone / taking cover.

Alternating lunges: start upright, one leg forward or back to forward thigh parallel to the ground, rear knee lightly touching the ground, back up, swap legs.

There will be questions about injuries. These will be accommodated within reason based on this being a functional test to see if you can perform safely on the tactical ranges. For example, having a bad knee may mean you lunge on the same leg, etc.

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

You suck.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

I did this today with my two boys, and Morris passed with a minute to spare, but me and the other one flunked.

SO, we will add this to our P.T. schedule and repeat until we don’t suck.

……. The previous “MVT Test” was definitely easier to pass. Not necessarily a BETTER standard, but definitely easier.

---

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Out of curiosity – what is a “shuttle”? (in the context of OP)

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Max
    Keymaster

I did this today with my two boys, and Morris passed with a minute to spare, but me and the other one flunked.

SO, we will add this to our P.T. schedule and repeat until we don’t suck.

……. The previous “MVT Test” was definitely easier to pass. Not necessarily a BETTER standard, but definitely easier.

There must be some mistake in the execution. Those of us from the CQBC who did the original 10 burpee version did it in around 6 minutes and it was hard. Those who did the 5 burpee version did it in around 4 minutes average. We are producing a video that should clear this up.

Max
    Keymaster

Out of curiosity – what is a “shuttle”? (in the context of OP)

It’s just a 10 meter distance. ‘Shuttle out and back.’

This test is far more functional than the previous. So long as you can perform the functional movements of burpee and lunge, then it is a lot easier and shorter than the old 2-miler.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

:good:

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

I’ll watch for the video… I can almost walk the entire 2 miler in less than 30 minutes, and finish off with 30+ lunges in 2 minutes. The way I did this test, (maybe I shouldn’t admit) I was sucking wind by the time I was halfway through, and flunked the 6 minute standard by about 10 seconds.

I was probably wearing more than 15 lbs – loaded MVT chest rig, plus light “assault pack”, but I don’t think that made THAT much of a difference.

---

Max
    Keymaster

I was probably wearing more than 15 lbs – loaded MVT chest rig, plus light “assault pack”, but I don’t think that made THAT much of a difference.

Course it did! I wore 22 lb PC for the first 10 burpee version and it was hard, and I was walking the shuttles about halfway in. Hence backing it down to 5 burpees and giving a 6 minute time.

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

Well, either way, it definitely showed me that my current PT program needs adjustment! Burpees and lunges sure work your body differently than “normal” PT walking/rucking/jogging, pushups, pull-ups, etc.

---

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Look forward to video

Max
    Keymaster

WEBPAGE UPDATED HERE.

We will add a video when it is produced.

Also, if anyone has any questions or needs help with functional fitness, Johnnymac is now the MVT PTI and is active here helping with this. He is also doing the 25 days to Fitmas ongoing program.

I have been doing my functional fitness classes. I do those 2 x per week plus my own training. It is simply amazing being in there with a good instructor. The sessions are hard work but they make me feel amazing. It is athletic strength / power training of a circuit / weights type base. Lots of mobilization and core work. Really excellent.

You just don’t know till you know – I can bang on all day about it but unless you start training, you will never get the benefits.

And diet – that gut will not go unless you make a positive effort to reduce those carbs.

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

WEBPAGE UPDATED HERE.

We will add a video when it is produced.

Also, if anyone has any questions or needs help with functional fitness, Johnnymac is now the MVT PTI and is active here helping with this. He is also doing the 25 days to Fitmas ongoing program.

I have been doing my functional fitness classes. I do those 2 x per week plus my own training. It is simply amazing being in there with a good instructor. The sessions are hard work but they make me feel amazing. It is athletic strength / power training of a circuit / weights type base. Lots of mobilization and core work. Really excellent.

You just don’t know till you know – I can bang on all day about it but unless you start training, you will never get the benefits.

And diet – that gut will not go unless you make a positive effort to reduce those carbs.

I can imagine having a good trainer is really nice! That’s why I’ve been interested in what Johnnny Mac is coming up with for the 25 days Fitmas. I’ve been working on Pat MacNamaras Combat Strength Training for awhile now, so I’m not participating in the fitmas challenge, but I will definitely be throwing in some of what Johnny comes up with to try it out! DIET, diet is definitely key, you can’t fuel your truck with crap fuel, so don’t fuel your body with crap food! Rock on guys and keep after it!! Get you some! B-)

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

We re-did this the other day without the assault pack. I weighed the loaded chest rig, which came in at about 8 lbs, so I was under the required weight, but came in at 5:21. My 15-year-old son was about 4:50 with the same weight.

DEFINITELY need to keep it on the weekly schedule! Totally different high-intensity, short workout than my body is accustomed to.

---

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

Are the lunges 10 per leg or 10 total (5 per leg)?

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

10 total (5 per leg)

This

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

I just ran it slick (no gear) with 25lbs dumbells based on equipment availability. My son moved my markers so the legs for the shuttles were closer to 25 meters than 10. The kid is a brutal coach!

Time was 5:36. I wad huffing way harder than our intrepid video denonstators though.

This is a good workout for sure! When I get home I will try it with gear and boots.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Profile photo of Winston
    winston
    Participant

Turned this into a workout today – 3 sets, 2min rest between.
    1st was to see how I’d do. 2nd & 3rd were to see what it did to/for me. FTR, My burning legs/ass tell me this old man needs to get back to doing lunges.

Wx: Perfect. 60, OVC, light wind (that really helped)
    Used what I hand on hand:
    – Old Steel plates (27 lbs…plus I wanted to know if I could.)
    – 25 lb Kettle bells

1st: 5:10 2 min rest
    2nd: 5:16 2 min rest
    3rd: 5:26 (Thought about RD 4, but legs said “No” during last set of lunges)

Yes, yes. I know my way around MVT.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.