Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

New Fitness and Nutrition Guide Coming Soon!

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition New Fitness and Nutrition Guide Coming Soon!

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Chris Chris 2 years ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris
    Chris

Hey Guys,
    So one of the things we constantly address here at MVT is fitness and health. What good are you as Patriot of Freedom in the SHTF environment if all you’ve is eat poorly and let yourself go to the point that you need an extender for your battle belt..
    MVT has brought some instructors to the fold that are trained nutritionists and personal physical fitness trainers. Is your diet with restrictions but you need to cut weight? We can help!
    Do you live in the woods and theres no ‘globo-gym’ nearby so you have to get creative in a weekly workout regimen? We have that too! Did you get yourself a shiny new gym membership but have no idea how to put together a workout plan?
    Again we can help. So what i want to do firstly is just put the feelers out and see what kind of fitness and nutrition advice you guys on the forum are looking for and in the absence of any feedback will probably start posting some articles as well. If you are looking for something specifically tailor made for you just let us know and we will help you out. Too often training comes short at MVT because some people underestimated what the physical rigors of combat would entail, or what kind go food they needed to bring or acquire to keep them going through the weekend. Stay tuned for more soon!

-C

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Something on injury prevention or remediation could help. Sucks to have X weeks to get in shape and then blowing out a joint, muscle, or tendon and being set back by several weeks or even months. If that were during SHTF then it would be dire straits.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

How about some fitness and nutrition ideas for those of us 50-60 and above that are still in fairly good shape considering but can’t run with the 20 somethings anymore but still want to stay in shape.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

This could be just the thing I was looking for. Also if feasible, some tips on dealing with prior existing injuries. i.e., From 1982 -2014 I raced & rode Motocross on a regular basis. No broken bones thankfully.
    1) Stretched left knee ligament 1982 Only ambulance ride
    2) Separated right shoulder Early 90’s
    3) Sprained both ankles same time late 80’s
    4) Sprained right hip Early 2000’s
    5) Torn labrum left shoulder mid 2000’s operated on December 2008
    Various brain rattlers

I feel like the left shoulder injury holds me back when trying to do pullups/pushups. gets weak real fast. The left knee will go out all of a sudden sometimes even at a walking pace. It doesn’t last long , but is always on my mind.

I am sure alot of us have high school/college/work related injuries also that are still nagging.

farmer

Edit: 50 year old here also

RonW

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

I’d appreciate any information or advice about nutrition. Like a lot of guys here, I’m no spring chicken anymore and I work in a white collar environment where all too often lunch is fast food or some crap. My doctor says I’m in excellent health (age 50) and I’m in good condition for a 50 year old but looking to improve that to Rifleman Challenge levels if I can do it without injury.

Recommendations perhaps for what you’d be bringing or buying for lunch, if you were in these shoes? Any particular nutritional supplements other than multivitamin?

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I think there is a trend here, since many of us are getting older, particularly by military standards.

So anything tailored to from getting in shape, to maintaining what is a high fitness level while staying injury free at the older age bracket seems prudent.

I somewhat recently hurt my Achilles tendon which has set me back. So how to modify your diet when injured to avoid weight gain while recovering could help. Seems easy enough to just reduce intake, but professional guidance couldn’t hurt.

Profile photo of lucky_luke
    lucky_luke
    Participant

Well unlike the prior answers, I am only 26 yrs old, run 4 days a week, do strength training 4 days a week. My problem is that I’m over weight. I definitely fall under the category of needing nutritional advice.

Valor Ridge:
    Rifleman I

Patriot Nurse:
    Medical Prep 101
    Medical Prep 201

Laissez les Bon ton Roulette

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

Well unlike the prior answers, I am only 26 yrs old, run 4 days a week, do strength training 4 days a week. My problem is that I’m over weight. I definitely fall under the category of needing nutritional advice.

Ill trade your age vs overweight to my age and worn down, lol.

@chris I’m 52 and slowly working my way back, three steps forward two steps back. Ran all last year until I pulled a muscle I’m still working on. A program needs to address us geezers. :cry:

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of The Hobbit
    The Hobbit
    Participant

Same here on age. I fall under the category of living in the sticks with no easy/convenient gym access. Si any work outs routines that suit are appreciated.
    Are Max & hunters tax fitness programs still available as I was planning ob investing in that. Anything nutrion related is also muy burning.

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

The fitness programs are still available. I’m doing one right now.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris

Good feedback from you guys. Understand nutrition and being able to get physical training even in our later years or after injuries is a struggle and some of you are looking for help. Will get some literature and articles out to you guys and if anyone has any very specific needs we can take a look at that as well…..keep the ideas coming please….

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

From very active field work (EMS, firefighter, SWaT) now to working inside a busy Level I trauma center with long hours and multiple back-to-back shifts (think 2-4 days off per month, with multiple nights interspersed)…… so some sort of routine (regimen might’ve a better word as there is nothing routine here) would be appreciated when there are NO set days…I do run the stairs several times a shift…. and, yes, in my 50s

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Got a copy of Tactical Fitness from Amazon in the mail today. 252 pages of what looks to be pretty good stuff.

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

Got a copy of Tactical Fitness from Amazon in the mail today. 252 pages of what looks to be pretty good stuff.

Who is the author? There are a couple different ones listed

farmer

edit: looks like Stewart Smith. Page count listed as 272. Is this correct?

RonW

Profile photo of The Hobbit
    The Hobbit
    Participant

Happily take a review on if it’s any good.

Profile photo of Diomedes
    diomedes
    Participant

You don’t lose weight through exercise. A ton of literature on that. Great recent science and nature article on that topic.
    Here is a cut from it:
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/28/study-reveals-that-exercise-alone-wont-cause-weight-loss
    Its not very effective.
    You lose weight by eating less.
    You exercise for the other health benefits.

Eat less move more.
    My patients always seem surprised by this fact….

For the old folks, invest in a Polar Care cube. Its a god send.
    http://www.breg.com/products/cold-therapy/devices/cube-cold-therapy

RICE those injures……

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Who is the author? There are a couple different ones listed

farmer

edit: looks like Stewart Smith. Page count listed as 272. Is this correct?

It is Stewart Smith. I didn’t count the front few pages and index nor the last 3 propaganda pages. Soft cover book, mostly pictures of a bunch of exercises and some fitness plans.

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris

not to get too far down the rabbit hole but eating less is not the end all to losing weight. More often than not my clients need to eat MORE to begin a weight loss program because their nutrition is so poor that their body has no choice but to store the food it gets and not properly process nutrients from each meal. This mainly applies to the very busy 9-5 with kids people that never get a chance to eat. Blows their mind when i tell them to eat more!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.