Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

New from IWI for 2018

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons New from IWI for 2018

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, apparently many rifle designers seem to think there are better places to put a charging handle than the same place the shooters cheek is supposed to sit.

I am certainly no expert, but from what little I do know, the immediate action for a stoppage is tap the mag and run the bolt. I, personally, can do this faster with my Tavor than with my Colt M4, because of economy of movement, especially from prone, and I don’t need to remove my eye from the optic to do it, giving the target an opportunity to disappear.

I do understand a lot of men are wedded to there 1911s…I mean ARs. To each his own.

Profile photo of Max VelocityMax
    Keymaster

Well, apparently many rifle designers seem to think there are better places to put a charging handle than the same place the shooters cheek is supposed to sit.

I am certainly no expert, but from what little I do know, the immediate action for a stoppage is tap the mag and run the bolt. I, personally, can do this faster with my Tavor than with my Colt M4, because of economy of movement, especially from prone, and I don’t need to remove my eye from the optic to do it, giving the target an opportunity to disappear.

I do understand a lot of men are wedded to there 1911s…I mean ARs. To each his own.

LOL the sarcasm, it drips. Key point is, are you here to learn, or tell us about second hand opinions that have no basis? I am sure Scott can cover the direct impingement vs bolt whenever he sees this, but what you should do, short of a class, is go watch the various Max Talks on YouTube covering weapon manipulation.

Surprised you did not see them….did you sign up to the pop-up on the website to get emails, and I send them directly to your inbox. Or see them posted here or on the blog.

The reasons that many professionals, to include Scott and I, prefer the AR is because it is the best system, proven to us. Direct inpingement. I have used various weapon systems over the years, but I gravitate to the AR.

Inactive

Key point is, are you here to learn, or tell us about second hand opinions that have no basis?

My core value is truth, which is a close relative of learning. It is unfortunate that you should think that opinions which differ from yours have no basis. Which begs the question, are you here to learn? Especially, considering the title of this thread, “New from IWI for 2018.”

Keymaster

My core value is truth, which is a close relative of learning. It is unfortunate that you should think that opinions which differ from yours have no basis. Which begs the question, are you here to learn?

You need to stop right there. This is not the way or the attitude of the MVT forum. You appear to be displaying all the signs of ego, which is the greatest impediment to training, of which you admit you have none. I don’t expect you to continue to turn this into a back and forth, but to be entirely clear, I will give you more details on your questions:

1) No one is stating that if opinions differ from ours, they must be wrong. But we are professionals running a forum specifically about these topics, and we are offering informed opinions based on knowledge and experience. Something you would be well advised to learn from, rather than what appear to be emotional attachments based on self-admitted littl knowledge.

2) My life has been a journey of experience and learning that has brought me to the point of being able to stand up and run a tactical training company, of which this training is a part. I am most definitely not here to learn weapons or tactics from you. Will I learn things about other topics of which I am not an SME from others? Most certainly. Will I learn tactical knowledge from other tactical / military SMEs, such as when we have SOF teams through the VTC? Most certainly.

So leave it off. The attitude is not constructive or in line with the tone of this forum.

Inactive

1) No one is stating that if opinions differ from ours, they must be wrong.

All evidence to the contrary, Max. Good luck with your open forum.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)Joe (G.W.N.S.)

My core value is truth, which is a close relative of learning. It is unfortunate that you should think that opinions which differ from yours have no basis.

What’s unfortunate is your attitude and behavior as a new member.

So far I have seen very little truth, a whole lot ignorant one liners like “shits where it eats!”

Where are your stated facts, vice rehashing “many rifle designers?”

So perhaps you should consider taking a step back, take a few deep breaths, and reconsider your method of delivery!

I’ll get to the AR discussion after the shotgun question.

For most of us in America, today, we are far, far, more likely to face a deadly threat in our homes, where the shotgun holds a significant advantage over the rifle and pistol, than in combat. Do you disagree? If so, then why?

Pistol, rifle, or shotgun for home defense, which is best?

It depends on many factors, all three have limitations, all have advantages for different situations.

As a reminder, my above quote was reiterating my stance on using shotguns in COMBAT, not home defense (or law enforcement). In this Threads context; assuming it proves reliable, the Tavor TS12 could be a excellent combat shotgun. Though it wouldn’t be my first choice for home defense.

Despite tactifool videos and trainers to the contrary, using a shotgun in combat has almost no relationship to defensive or law enforcement use! (Details of which are for a different Thread I’ve been working on.)

Almost forgot…

Unfortunately, in the USA, we cannot choose any firearm we want for any reason, because I would love a select fire rifle, with a 40mm underneath, and a Russian made AK. In America, however, only certain government employees and the VERY wealthy can choose these firearms. Where do you live?

In Florida SBR/SBS/Fullauto/DD are legal with NFA compliance. I am not very wealthy yet I could if I so desired.

Didn’t want to waste what I had written. ;-)

Profile photo of DarkriversDarkrivers
    Participant

It begins. Revenge of the armchair commandos. :wacko:

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of BrigandActualBrigandActual
    Participant

It begins. Revenge of the armchair commandos. :wacko:

‘It’s the way of things. Every swinging dick has something to prove.

I still think IWI’s offerings are nice. I want an X-95, but it’s not higher in my list than more training and practice.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Time for gratuitous “one liner!” ;-)

I am the weapon, my chosen firearm is the tool.

Profile photo of DarkriversDarkrivers
    Participant

Time for gratuitous “one liner!”

:good:

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

I am certainly no expert…

As you have demonstrated convincingly.

To each his own.

If this was at all true for you, this exchange would have gone much better.

A practical discussion of the merits could have been useful, but you choose the “trolls way.”

Of course I saw the signs, when you observed my post in reply to yours. I was expecting a discussion. Then you left and returned several times. So after a little more than 5 hours to become argumentative.

Such a sad waste of bandwidth.

Keymaster

So hold on, he just left? Still thinking he was right about something (not sure what)? Learning nothing, with an ego and attitude that will permit no learning or progression in any way towards the whole warrior.

I knew shit about carpentry and building a barn until Mike showed me. Now, I know a little bit, but I still have a fuck ton to learn. I have written elsewhere that many of us are experts in our own fields. If you come to MVT, it should be to improve tactical knowledge, not expound your own ignorance.

Wow. It begins.

Keymaster

We must not let this forum turn into a retardation of flame war egotistical assholes. I think in future once we see the way someone is acting, one warning and then banned. I’m not going to waste precious time arguing with idiots on my own forum.

So hold on, he just left?

That or observing from the relative safety of lurking a open forum. :unsure:

Profile photo of First SergeantFirst Sergeant

It ain’t even worth wasting the bandwidth.

You outed yourself with the “shits where it eats” bullshit. You are not here to learn nor discuss anything.

You are either a troll that has waited for the forum to open up so you can spew bullshit or you are incapable of understanding why the AR is the go to weapon of just about every single western nation.

From that 1911 comment, I guess you think that you are part of the enlightened that only uses “Perfection”, right? Either that or use some other hipster flavor of the month handgun, based off of your rifle choices.

So keep hauling around that 2X6 you call a rifle thinking that you know everything. Funny, we have had some students come through classes with Tavors. Guess what they went to after attending a class?

Scott

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Keymaster

Banned. See Savage Ban Hammer Post.

Profile photo of JustARandomGuyJustARandomGuy
    Participant

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of BrushpopperBrushpopper
    Participant

WOW, I just had a chance to go through this thread…………. that was entertaining! :scratch:

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of DuaneHDuaneH
    Participant

This is better than reality TV!

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of RobertRobert
    Participant

Damn!! I’ve never even gone there- “shit where it eats..”

One thing I figured out long ago, most people that have been serious about this for a long period of time are pretty set with their weapon systems. Max, 1st Sgt, Joe, all these guys are long term pros. I would have about as much luck converting them to an AK as I would convincing a pine tree to shit out gold bricks!!!

Read the room folks, read the room….

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Keymaster

Most of us trained on foreign weapons. I was armed with an AK for a period on contract in Iraq. I can and have used it. But I won’t choose it, or a Tavor, over an AR/M4.

Yes: ‘Foreign Weapons.’ AKA the weapon of communism.

I would have about as much luck converting them to an AK as I would convincing a pine tree to shit out gold bricks!!!

There is some truth to this, however as Max pointed out we can effectively use other weapons too.

Remember this Thread was initiated by me. I have truly considered the SAR/X95 Tavor platforms, but decided against them for my purposes. I believe them to be quality products with some excellent characteristics, but like all firearms it’s based on compromises.

There is no one size answer for all uses/users!

Consider this:

Time for gratuitous “one liner!” ;-)

Yea it’s funny, but more truth then many appreciate! B-)

I highly suspect that I could be as effective in combat using my 30-30 (140 year old design) as many of these tactifool types could with whatever their chosen “magic” firearm is. Sad, but I believe it to be true.

Great point!

So “hedge_less horseman” joins the Forum and starts out with…

…now a more than 60 year old design…

…a obvious sarcastic jab.

To which I reply…

Though not necessarily the point you were going for, yes the AR is the very refined, without defects, and combat proven. ;-)

…a good natured jab in return, note even used an emoji.

Obviously I already knew all of the various arguments regarding the AR. I am a recovering “gun nut” and have not only knowledge, but practical experience with a large number of firearms.

So first sign of trouble…

“hedge_less horseman” observed my reply and I was expecting a discussion. However he left and returned several times. Taking a little more than 5 hours finally reply.

…he obviously took my “good natured jab in return” personally and allowed emotion to take over his reason.

So instead of a reasonable discussion based on the merits, we get “hyperbole in the form of one liners” and extreme literal, but inaccurate interpretation of my other comments.

“hedge_less horseman” did not take this into consideration!

Most likely a product of too much time on Forums of lesser quality!

Profile photo of RobertRobert
    Participant

Joe- I’m convinced a lot of guys like this dude just spend a lot of time pissing on other people’s lawns. When they are called on the carpet about it, they leave or get worse.

Definitely a good idea to know other systems, AR and AK probably the two most widespread in the world. A well rounded person should know how to run each and should be solid in each of them. Crap people, I even own two AR’s for crying out loud ;)

Still bitterly clinging to my commie guns though :heart:

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of RowlandRowland
    Participant

And here I was sitting, just waiting for Robert to jump in with “Wait, I thought this was an AK club!”

Whatever you use, use it well.

“Shits where it eats…” isn’t that the PS90 that bottom ejects under your feet? I kid, I kid.

Many of us are hunting mice while lions devour the land. -Leonard Ravenhill

Profile photo of DuaneHDuaneH
    Participant

In my opinion (yeah i know). A person should be well trained enough to where the type of rifle doesnt matter anymore.

Every system has its advantages and disadvantages. Instead of arguing equipment people should argue application of the equipment.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of wheelseewheelsee
    Participant

In my opinion (yeah i know). A person should be well trained enough to where the type of rifle doesnt matter anymore.

Every system has its advantages and disadvantages. Instead of arguing equipment people should argue application of the equipment.

IMHO, I think this ties in to Max’s push for us playing chess while many are playing checkers……

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Robbiekadelic
    Participant

Who said it was hard to climb
    A peak that you can’t see
    I tell ya it’s an easy thing
    When it’s you and me
    But don’t shit where you eat, my friend

Profile photo of Weswesmc
    Participant

I like Ween. :good:

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.