Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Night time Rifle Malfunction Drills

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Skill at Arms (HEMS) Night time Rifle Malfunction Drills

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

Has anyone trained for rifle malfunction at night or while blindfolded?

Good idea Bad idea ? ?

Having dummie rounds in the magazine for safety ?

RonW

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Under NODs sounds like a good idea. Dummy rounds also sounds like a good idea, to start at least.

You wouldn’t be alone in trying!

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Another alumni made me some dud rounds by killing the primers with WD40, then drilling a hole in the center of the cartridge. They work great for some malfunction training. For the AK it’s pretty simple, it’s basically a reload 99% of the time.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

There is a method for malfunction drills when visibility or NODs prevent the common first step of seeing into the ejection port. We teach it at class / on the night firing class.

Carry on.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

We always did and do stoppage drills during night and low light training.

TJ has had similiar sorts of tests as a stage at TIGER Valley events. Once, we had to assemble our rifle, for time, while wearing blackout goggles. He is evil.

Of course it is best to use touch and muscle memory for quickly managing standard malfunctions. However, for complex or unique problems, like checking to see if your buddy just accidentally plugged his or her muzzle with mud, while maintaining light discipline, it is helpful to have a center pinhole in the lens cap to place on the NOD, that allows the weapon to be in focus by maximizing depth-of-field, although brightness will be decreased.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stopping_down

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

@stuck_case_rod – I am not sure who you are, but I think you did CLC this year, correct? Of course, MVT runs the most thorough and common sense malfunction / stoppage drills available as part of the live fire classes, for example this is covered in detail on HEAT 1. It is also covered in the Tactical Manual.

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Something like this may help:
    Ebay – Snap Caps Combo 9mm/223/12ga Combo Set

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

…you did CLC this year, correct?

Yes, the lesser half of the old couple which Tango wrung out on The Eternal Sidehill From Hell during the Night Recon Op. That’s what I get for pissing him off. No hard feelings, Tango.

And The Joe that “got everyone killed” on the second hostage rescue. No hard feelings, Max.

Profile photo of Idaho Cajun
    idahocajun
    Participant

@farmer: I encourage getting proficient in the “mystery six”, as my wife coined them from her MVT Heat 1, in a regular setting before proceeding to low light and night stuff. MVT’s mystery six clearance drills are by far the best, and I regularly do these with snap caps, in the house. Also allows me to do some dry firing.

@tango: agree! The snap caps are amazing! I highly recommend this product. Magpul also makes some, but I keep them in a separate marked training mag so there is little to no risk of me putting a round through the wall.

As we all know, malfunction drills are a perishable skill. Practice at home, but live fire on the range with a buddy loading your mag can be humbling. Add a timer, and enjoy the process!

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

As we all know, malfunction drills are a perishable skill. Practice at home, but live fire on the range with a buddy loading your mag can be humbling. Add a timer, and enjoy the process!

Emphasis mine.

We did a drill called “F… you buddy” in SWAT, and it was designed for just that. The amazing part was the number of guys who kept clearing repeated malfunctions on a mag when the correct answer was change the dang mag!! You learn many things when your buddy is “evil” :yes:

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.