Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Night vision class prep

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Skill at Arms (HEMS) Night vision class prep

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of First Sergeant First Sergeant 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

I’m looking at August for training. The first day of CTT includes night shooting. To save time I was wondering at what distance to sight in my DBAL? Should I do that before. Coming down? Also if we have FLIR bring that along too?
    Thanks for the help.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I zeroed my DBAL visible at 25m about an inch and a half low of ‘center mass’. Later I put the IR on the same spot as best I could in my blacked-out basement. It was still low at 25m on the range (sight over bore) which should be good for a 100m zero for a flatter trajectory, and I don’t plan on using the IR pointer past 100m. I think 1SG made a few minor clicks once we went live. Someone may be along to correct me if my numbers are off. Cheers.

Edit to add, depending on the round you are using, barrel length, the coriolis effect :yes: with the laser being line of sight, the round should just touch POA at 100m before dropping shortly after, with no hold-unders beyond that.

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

Max or 1st Sargeant can correct me if I am wrong. Class content may have change since I took NODF. But you won’t need the Thermal. Zero your IR as bunny says or similar. You will verify zero in class. You will be performing fire and maneuver with your NODS with a final excercise at the end. We assaulted a camp in my class but that could have changed.

It is a great class to shake out your NV equipment and gives you appreciation of what they can and cannot do. It’s fun too.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Thanks, mine is a single IR unit, no visible. I’ll do as you guys say. I was sighting in too long.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

Yes, you can wait until class to zero. But, if you want, and I think it’s a very good idea, get it in the ball park beforehand. Wait until low light. Mount your NV optic. Sand bag or at least pack rest your weapon. Turn on your laser. Sight in on the target with your RDS. Without moving the weapon, roll down your NV optic and take a look. The laser should be off-set but roughly parallel to the RDS POA.

This is much easier in class when you hold POA with your RDS and your coach looks through his NV optic and adjusts your laser. I believe this is called parallel laser adjustment, and is the best way of doing it, IMHO.

The Crye Nightcap works very well in this scenario.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

It will definitely help if you come to class with your IR laser sighted in. If you have an Eotech, Aimpoint, ACOG, etc. that’s already zeroed on the rifle, turn on and lock on (double click on pressure pad) the IR laser. Move the dot of the IR laser to match the aiming point on your Zeroed sight. IME, this will get you on target quickly. Then shoot it rested at 100 or whatever you typically zero at and make adjustments as necessary.

Always leave the pressure pad plugged in and on the rifle.I can’t tell you how many people I’ve talked to that showed up for class without it, or “lost it” or simply threw the box away that had it in there!!! Keeping it always plugged in is just a good habit to get into. Worse case depending on where you mount the velcro backing for the pressure pad you may have to replace the velcro base every couple years. On my main training AK I have the pad on the left side on the receiver. In about 8 years and a buttload of rounds I’ve had to replace the velcro base 3-4 times.

FWIW, get some SPARE BATTERY CAPS at some point in time also. After a night of training with them my son lost the cap for his OTAL-C Came right out of the little keeper deal. Unit will not function without the battery cap and since it’s pressure oriented, it wouldn’t be easy to jury rig something. For want of a battery cap the shot was lost, for the want of a shot the firefight was lost, for the want of a……. You know the deal :) I don’t have them on the site, but we get orders from Steiner/LDI every week so I can order a boatload of these in if some MVT folks need them, just email me.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Some more “random” ;) thoughts-

*Know your 14 by touch. Be able to make focal adjustments, change the gain setting, etc. without a lot of consternation.

*Dummy cord the 14 and J arm to the Rhino mount on your helmet or night cap. When flipping up or flipping down the arm, their is a better than average chance that you will squeeze the release on the J arm, allowing the J arm and 14 to fall out of the Rhino arm when you flip down. When you first push the J arm into the rhino mount, make sure you get a positive click and use the black cord for the daylight/pinhole cover to loop around the Rhino arm itself. This way if it happens, it won’t smash onto the ground it will just dangle.

*Lighting conditions are different every night, every place. VTC has some varying conditions for ambient light. Use your gain control to help with this where you can, finding just the right setting for the specific condition. Yes you can crank it up very high but in doing so you will see some “snow”, therefore avoid the temptation to use the gain on full.

*Mount the 14 over your non dominant eye- self explanatory but I get that question a LOT. Your not trying to use the 14 mounted on your head or helmet to “look through” your rifle scope. You will use your IR laser as your aiming point. You won’t need to crank your head over to the side as most people do shooting a carbine.

*Move slow if you can, play games where you “piece” things together using all your senses- the eye not in the “green glow” as well as hearing, smell and the general “feeling” you get about things.

*Keep your psyche calm. If people aren’t used to the night (and no I don’t mean walking from you house to the car at night) in the woods, they tend to get easily agitated. Their is a fear of getting lost, fear of not having all the normal visual input you have during the day, etc. BREATHE, calm your mind. Stay oriented. Take a second if you need to.

*Get familiar with your gear in the dark without NV at home if you can. Sit outside and with no ambient light, change magazines, operate your rifle, etc. from standing, kneeling, prone etc. Learn to trust your tactile senses.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

Robert is giving true scoop.

I also recommend the Wilcox filter for your occular. You can then off-set the optic forward, which does two things. First, you now have room for safety glasses (which can be a PITA in summer but highly recommended), and second it gives you a little space for your left eye to see and much better peripheral vision. Instead of being blind on that side, and having turn your head so far to see, you can actually see around you as you move. Huge difference. Field of view slightly smaller but well worth the trade off IMHO. The filter will cancel out the green back splash (raccoon eyes) normally associated with off-set optics.

To try it out, just roll back your eye cup, and set the mount forward a bit. Now go move around the back yard and try it out. I think you’ll find it’s much less claustrophobic, when you can still see peripherally through the left eye when needed, and then look through the scope for NV.

Some kind of IR flag or call sign patch on your shoulders (or helmet sides) helps to keep your buddies in sight as you move. Also couldn’t hurt, for training purposes, if everyone wore an IR peanut light on the back of their head, so the instructors can keep track of whole team exercise.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Listen to what Robert and Diz are saying. Both of them covered what I had intended to post.

Robert, PM out to you.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.