Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

NODS – Analog vs. Digital

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment NODS – Analog vs. Digital

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Robert Robert 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Saw this T-Rex video and actually thought it was really interesting and informative. Got me thinking of some questions for JRH @lowdown3

At this current time we are obviously not at a practical or competitive level by the measure of size, cost, function, or product availability (AFAIK). Question is, how long until we get there? Products on the horizon?

We’ve probably all seen this video, but how long before this is not only commercially available, but commercially affordable?

I’m not going to put off buying an analog system in waiting for a digital system, but it’s definitely something to keep an eye on for future upgrade with some of the clear (I mean, color) benefits of digital.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Be a while. The digital stuff that’s out now is just at or near “toy” status compared to real night vision IMO.

The price breakthrough is with the Photonis White Phosphor tubes in my opinion.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

I remember this was announced for the SHOT Show a while back. Don’t know what the pricing is on it so I’m guessing not affordable beyond LEO and military use yet.

At SHOT: ColorTAC CVA-14 Clips On To Any PVS-14 And Lets You See Color at Night

The thought of color night vision makes me drool.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

The future is clearly in CMOS (chip) and that future may be a lot closer than people think. Sionix now has their Aurora unit for pre-order. It’s close to a PVS-14 form factor, lighter too, full color, and they currently have “thousands of rounds” testing recoil on an AR platform. It’s a J-arm away right now from throwing onto a helmet mount. Oh yeah, it’s $800.

Now, there has been a history of products making claims that got out front of the technology. Sionix may be one of those too for all I know. But it looks very promising.

I don’t think we’re far from this: transparent OLED filmed goggles (think Revision) with 180 degree vision, using 2-3 CMOS sensors + 2 VOx (IR) sensors, powered by plug-in LI battery. You’ll have NV and IR in one platform/screen. All of the input tech not only exists – it’s in even smaller form factor in the latest iPhone versions. The display tech is already in consumer VR goggles. Under $3k. In the meantime… yeah the WP is a great deal for the next 2-3 years… if we all make it that long. LOL

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

A “fusion” digital set was talked about and blown up before SHOT last year. Everyone loved the idea of it cause the price point was really cheap.

Three separate trips over 2 days to their booth and I never saw the thing work correctly. The final time they have the NV working- wasn’t impressive at all- and the thermal overlay was a large tan square in the center. That was the closest I saw to seeing that actually work.

I get the premise of the video and yes one day their will be a decent breakthrough, we just aren’t there yet.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

@Robert – not surprising. It’s really a software problem at this point – getting the various hardware inputs to display together in a useable way. Solving that will probably require a big company with major resources to tackle and a market (MIL) big enough to make it worthwhile.

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

@Robert – not surprising. It’s really a software problem at this point – getting the various hardware inputs to display together in a useable way. Solving that will probably require a big company with major resources to tackle and a market (MIL) big enough to make it worthwhile.

Sensor fusion is more difficult than it sounds when they pitch it in meetings. It is, if any of the defense industry rags are to be believed, the future of warfighter SA though.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Good show of capabilities of the Sionyx Aurora. Hope this company does well and they keep developing. It needs ruggedizing, improvements in resolution, and proper mounts.

He calls it a “tactical gopro” which seems accurate for where it is right now.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Another good look at the Sionyx with direct comparison to current PVS14 units.

It’s not ready for us, yet, but if the company keeps up the future could be promising.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

I’m hoping the guys that had the digital “fusion” set at SHOT last year have worked the bugs out and we get a chance to look at that more this year. Last year it didn’t work…..

www.jrhenterprises.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.