Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

NSWC-Crane Mid-Length Gas System Testing

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons NSWC-Crane Mid-Length Gas System Testing

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike Q Mike Q 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

SSD recently had an article highlighting some of the initial results from Crane on the side-by-side testing of carbine gas systems vs mid length gas systems.

The results are in favor of the midlength system.

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/14/nswc-crane-carbine-mid-length-gas-system-testing-shows-increased-performance/

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Interesting.

I am a fan of the Colt Combat Unit carbine (LE6960-CCU) and this adds to that impression.

Profile photo of Idaho Cajun
    idahocajun
    Participant

I picked up a Colt 6960-CCU last year. It’s my go to rifle and can’t say enough positive things about it.

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

This is just another example of the government taking years to confirm what the private sector has know for a long Long time. Midlength has been know to be more reliable than carbine for at LEAST the last 12 years.

I still like a much shorter barrel though.

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

Oh damn, I’m building my AR as carbine length.

Pretty much got everything except the gas block, barrel and sights, still catching up on bills, though I did just get the gas tube out of the way.

Guess I can always build another upper once I finish this one.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

The most expensive part is the barrel. Simply buy a mid length barrel. Buy a new gas tube – they’re only 12 bucks, a new spring and buffer will only cost another 40$. Double check your spring and buffer and make sure they are actually for carbine length. Did you buy a lower parts kit? If so which one did you get?

You’re only out a little over $50 assuming your buffer and spring are wrong.

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.