Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

One Man Auger Workout: A Good Deadlift Substitute

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Farming and Ranching One Man Auger Workout: A Good Deadlift Substitute

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian from Georgia Brian from Georgia 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

I’m putting up 400′ of field fence behind the house. I decided to rent a one-man auger instead of using post hole diggers. After a foot of loam, we have dense clay. It can be rock hard when dry and sticky and heavy when wet. We had a good bit of rain recently, so I knew it would be the latter.

The one-man auger ran pretty well on the boring side but lifting it out of the hole with wet clay was clinging to the auger was quite the workout. It’s like deadlifts but with roots holding the barbell down.

After 50+ holes, my back was stiff for days. I’m getting too old for that mess. If you need to do this, get the two-man auger or, better yet, a tractor auger.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Did you complete your workout with 80# bags of Sakrete?

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Dang man, how deep do you have to go on post holes to hold the fence up? What are you keeping in that will lean on it enough where 12″ of post will give?

Here’s what I use…helpers :yahoo:
    Crew hard at it

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb255/powwhap/Fence%20building/DSC00574.jpg

Or for 4″ posts in dirt, I use this.

35 holes, 10′ apart in about an hour and a few minutes. If you were closer I’d be more than willing to help ya out. But…. :cry:

Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

Nice. I went 2.5′ deep and tamped with dirt and gravel. I didn’t use sakrete since it’s such a job to pull ’em out.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.