Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

One of the more likely events that will bring civilization to a halt.

Home Forums Current Affairs & Topical News Pieces One of the more likely events that will bring civilization to a halt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DarkriversDarkrivers
    Participant

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/13/solar-storms-powerful-one-hit-earth-2-700-years-ago/3140290002/

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of SeanTSeanT

X class flares happen, where they hit is the key. If earth gets a full power shot….yes it will break a lot of useful stuff. Electronic systems will suffer, probably badly. The capability to generate electricity will exist and we will reasonably quickly be able to repair segments of the distribution infrastructure, but many ‘things’ will be fried. Develop the skills and knowledge, and the capabilities to give yourself options for courses of action and you will be way ahead of most.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Good stuff, there is no shortage of black swan events out there.

It’s just that most have no idea how fragile things really are.

Broad based preparations will support you and yours regardless of specifics of the “Event!”

Profile photo of DarkriversDarkrivers
    Participant

I agree. Generalization is good, I’d rather be able to handle a variety of things than be an expert at one.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Dark Knight ScottScott G
    Participant

In October 2016, the President released an Executive Oder related to space weather. It mandates that the federal government prepare for space weather. I attended a meeting with some space weather smart people as FEMA develops the documents they will issue to the rest of the government.
    Even with a major event, as we make more things reliant on GPS, even just a strong storm will impact the satellites that control GPS. I worry about the autonomous vehicles and what will happen.
    Might not take down the grid, but There could be potentially hundreds of thousands of accidents simultaneously.

Just my $.02

Northern VA Area

CRCD #1 Alumnus

Profile photo of SeanTSeanT

I think in the GPS scenario, there will be issues. High level network time uses GPS for clocking. In autonomous vehicles, accelerometers will provide some control over the ‘sudden’ stop.
    We already have HF communications disrupted when these events occur. That can also be enough solar juice to ‘mess up’ higher frequency data bands too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.