Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Operation Ginny

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JohnnyMac JohnnyMac 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I stumbled upon this bit of history, and I thought it worthwhile to share.

Operation Ginny was a mission conducted by a 15-man team of the OSS during WWII in Italy. Under the unconventional warfare (UW) mission profile, the team was to conduct a raid to destroy a railway tunnel in order to disrupt German logistics. It failed miserably.

Without giving it away, after the war, the very first war crimes trial/execution was due to events occurring during Operation Ginny.

READ THIS:
    https://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/operation-ginny-how-nazi-germany-crushed-america-during-22408

Quicker Read (but less detail): https://www.apathtolunch.com/2012/04/liberation-day-ameglia-executions.html

General Anton Dostler’s final days:

Personally, I think it’s kind of BS that he took the fall for Gen. Kesselring.

The reason this mission came up on my radar was really that I’ve been trying to read up on the OSS more. I think there is much to be learned, specifically from OSS (and SOE) from a civilian and 4th Gen warfare perspective.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Good read…….Another important reminder of “you don’t want to lose”, whether it be as a soldier (on an operation/mission) or as a leader (on the losing side of a conflict/war).

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

There’s also the common theme in many doomed special operations missions: being compromised by the locals.

Also, it’s kinda difficult to hide big yellow boats.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.