Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Opinions on the AK platform?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Opinions on the AK platform?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jwfjwf
    Participant

I know the AR15 is the recommended platform for a shtf rifle but I already own 3 and I was curious if the AK platform is worth learning how to use? What do the more experienced folks on here recommend? Does Max or any of his more experienced students bother training with the AK?

Profile photo of ThomasThomas
    Participant

How good are you with the AR platform? Are so accomplished that you do not even think about manipulating the controls? Are you intimately familiar with the AR to the point that it is simply an extension of you your arm and hand?

If you answer no or even have an inkling of no, the slightest doubt, master the AR.

Profile photo of RonWfarmer
    Participant

Paging Robert. Paging AK Robert. You’really needed to respond, STAT

RonW

Profile photo of DuaneHDuaneH
    Participant

All weapons are worth learning how to use. Including the AK.

Is it worth buying? I have 4 and once the ammo is gone for them, I will probably sell them. So no, I don’t think they are worth buying and I have run them in classes as well.

If you are really curious, borrow one from a friend.

IN today’s day and age a quality AK costs around 1k. Notice I said QUALITY. Then at a minimum you have to replace the safety with something that costs 80 bucks to get it to where you can manipulate it easy.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)hellokitty
    Participant

I have 1 WASR that I really like. I picked up for around $650 back in day. As Duane points out you will spend $1000 today which makes it not as feasible to purchase.

Benefits of learning to run an AK-
    More out there than used to be, battlefield recovery more likely.
    Ammo is still cheap.
    Those that have trained with an AK know they are accurate and deadly.

IMO your AR is still the go to so I agree with post to master it first. I would not divert funds to AK unless you have the AR covered.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yea, everyone needs to be able to run a AK, but would probably be better to borrow/rent one unless money is no consideration.

Profile photo of Anonymous
    Inactive

You don’t need to spend $80 on an aftermarket safety. The lever is easily manipulated by the middle finger of the shooting hand, by keeping the thumb hooked around the grip. Some may be tight, but the lever can be bent outward to take some tension out. I installed a Krebs unit on mine, mainly for the bolt hold-open notch, and I really don’t use the finger shelf.

The AK is a good platform, just different.

Participant

You don’t need to spend $80 on an aftermarket safety. The lever is easily manipulated by the middle finger of the shooting hand, by keeping the thumb hooked around the grip. Some may be tight, but the lever can be bent outward to take some tension out. I installed a Krebs unit on mine, mainly for the bolt hold-open notch, and I really don’t use the finger shelf.

The AK is a good platform, just different.

You are correct; however, for purposes of speed it works best if you have a safety that is easier to manipulate and maintain positive grip on the rifle. Like this one. http://www.krebscustom.com/products/60/Krebs-Custom-Mk-VI-for-Saiga-Rifles

Also, if you are going to take a class at MVT the regs are
    The safety must be operable with the firing hand, by finger or thumb, without removing the hand from the pistol grip.

This is what I installed on mine. Significantly cheaper, but requires metal working ability.
    http://shop.solartactical.com/SOLAR-TACTICAL-AK-EXTENDED-SAFETY-SELECTOR-TAB-127.htm

This video demonstrates what I believe you are talking about at about 8:00

This video demonstrates
    the extended safety at about 2:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7WeW1Ast4M

Me personally, I opt for the positive control and speed of an extended tab.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of RobertRobert
    Participant

The Krebs safety is literally the #1 modification you SHOULD make to any AK.

AK shooter since 1988 here. Have owned two AR’s in the past. Own one as a trainer to get the boy ready for FOF classes, that’s my only reason to have one now.

For a long time, you could buy ANY AK and it was ultimately reliable. Then the f’in idiots in VT, later moved to FL called Century Arms, started dic$ing around with AK’s. Needless to say SOME of the WASRs were total crap. When a haji in a mud hut in Peshawar can build a better rifle than a shop with modern equipment in VT, you know their are some clowns building them….

SOME WASRs work fine, quite a few are crap. I got rid of FIVE that were crappola. Shoot and zero yours. Contrary to popular propaganda, an AK is accurate for the work we do. The boy and I were out Xmas Eve at our range ringing the steel at 300 and I start laughing about the “it’s a 100 yard gun” non sense.

Ergonomics- an AK reloads just like an M1A and many other modern weapon systems. I have M1As for my .308 semi autos because they operate just like an AK- mag rocks in, charging handle on right side, etc. Left handed shooters- AK is very easy to manipulate left handed.

Malfunctions- with an AK, it’s basically a reload drill. No 5 super special malfunction drills to learn and try to diagnose under stress. Even with a $400. bargain basement gun, “malfunctions” normally means a dead primer round and those are rare.

Self contained- an AK will have it’s cleaning kit on board- rod under the barrel, cleaning kit in buttstock.

I’m sad to say economies of scale no longer play out on AKs. Even a bargain basement AK will run you probably $600. versus $500. for a bargain basement AR. A QUALITY AK like an Arsenal will run you about a grand. Sections of the blueing may come off in 30,000 rounds, but the gun will have never logged a real jam. Clean it once a year or so and it will be fine.

Mags- MOST if not all AK mags of varying quality will run in 90% of the AKs out there. I don’t own any Tapcos, but every Circle 10, US Palm, and metal Euro surplus mag I have runs well. $8-15. each in qty. depending on type. An AK mag SHOULD be slightly loose in the mag well but not TOO loose. A piece of paper should fit between the mag and the well on each side, a thin piece of cardboard should NOT. Remember, it’s the loose tolerances that make this gun run non stop when some Mattel toys won’t ;)

Mag Changes- (right hand shooter), same as AR, right hand never leaves pistol grip. Two methods- 1. left hand releases mag catch rocking mag forward (no need to grip the mag) and the mag drops free. Left pulls reload mag rocks it in on angle, then come under rifle (fingers UP) and works the charging handle. OR 2. Left hand grasps fresh mag, holds ON ANGLE and uses side of mag to knock mag release forward (spent mag falls) then fresh mag rocked in and left goes under and works bolt.

ALTERNATIVES- If you have problems with left going under rifle to work bolt, CANT rifle to the left with right hand as left comes OVER THE TOP and works bolt carrier. We figured this out back in the 80’s when we went back to AKs as CAR15s were failing on us.

Exercises- with a clear (unloaded) AK with full mag in- hold the rifle out like a pistol with right hand. Should be able to go at least a minute then switch hands to left. Back and forth for four or six minutes. If you can’t do a minute at a go you either
    A. Have too much crap on your rifle
    B. Need to work on arm strength
    C. All of the above :)

The AK is a good weapon, but it’s not an AR. You will need to run it correctly. Don’t try to run it or configure it just like an AR. No one would spend $300. on an AR and then say ” the AR is crap” but people spend $300. on a POS WASR and complain about it.

Modifications-
    1. Krebs safety selector. See pic on class listing for CTT near the bottom and it will show my rifle with Krebs safety installed. I train quite a bit with AK guys and when they come to my range I require them to have Krebs safeties.
    2. Good flash hider like every rifle should have.
    3. Put some spare parts like firing pin and whatever else you can fit in your buttstock trap door cleaning kit. You will likely never need them but if you do they are there.
    4. The 3×30 Trijicon ACOG with 7.62×39 BDC is IME the best hands down optic you can put on your AK. 300 yard first round hits become extremely easy when you can see the target well. Light gathering capability, range estimation and low light shooting capabilities of the ACOG make it highly worthwhile in itself.

Let me know if you have any AK related questions.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Max VelocityMax
    Keymaster

I have run AK on the two way range. I’ll use it if I have to. AR is a far superior weapon. Whilw typing on my phone is very tedious, I’ll just leave it at this: ergonomics.

The way the bolt locks to the rear on an empty mag with an AR is worth the price of admission all on its own: lightning fast reloads. This beats the AK. So as far as learning the 5 malfunction drills as mentioned above, AR beats AK hands down on the first and most comon stoppage, which is combat reload. Other than that, bolt override happens rarely on an AR and never on an AK. It is easy to fix if you know how and does not merit putting the AK above the AR. Robert is always going to be a die hard fan of the AK, I get it, but that is because he has collected two shipping containers of AK ammo since 1989 *sarc* – I told him to get an AR platform that will fire his 7.62×39, because combat reload!

The only ergonomically finicky thing about the AR is the position / operation of the bolt catch. Anyone that trains at MVT knows that only comes into play far down the malfunction list anyway. But you can solve that and make the weapon ergonomically perfect with a BAD Lever. But practise with it, or you will hit is accidentally…..

I would learn how to use an AK, but I would stick with the AR.

Profile photo of ThomasThomas
    Participant

Robert, thank you for a great post! You have mastered the the AK and understand it thoroughly. That was the point in my response to the OP. Choose your platform and learn it completely. You made the commitment in time, ammunition, and training to master the AK.

The OP has already invested in three ARs. I would expect that to get the greatest ROI, he should master that platform before moving to another.

Participant

The OP has already invested in three ARs. I would expect that to get the greatest ROI, he should master that platform before moving to another.

One thing you DON’T want to do IMO is to jump around to multiple different platforms constantly. I’ve been to classes where literally a guy shot an AR in the morning, AK in the afternoon, MP5 the next day, etc. He didn’t seem GOOD at any of them. His time and money spent at that class would have been better spent picking one system and using that the entire time.

There is obviously a lot of crossover in most of these weapon systems- shooting fundamentals are the fundamentals irregardless of AR, AK, FN, whatever, your just going to see minor differences in things like follow through, amount of recoil, etc.

From a logistics standpoint keeping the number of different platforms down also helps. Then when you find a $49. a case deal on x39 and you live near a port, you can put a couple of container loads in the basement ;)

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Participant

I personally like the 5.45 AKs in terms of shooting. The recoil with the muzzle brake is nil compared to the 7.62 AK.

I seem to get better accuracy with the 5.45 as well.

Mags are a LOT more expensive for the 5.45 and I am not sure about the future logistics of the 5.45.
    I bought my 5.45 when it was 0.13 per round and 7.62 was 0.23 and I laid in enough to make it worth my while.

AK in .223 is no go. Mags are nearly impossible to find.

-CRCD March 29-30

A link to a class in which I ran my AK along with a pic of the rifle rack (ignore the M1 Garand).
    It’s an Arsenal AK and with all the mods I have about 2500$ in it.
    Moral of the story: buy an AR.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Free Chicken DinnerRRS
    Participant

Take notice in that Pic that Duane posted, my AR is the far left one a LMT with monobloc upper, a real work of industrial art, a sealer of doom whose operator needs a bit more training (some day).

Also in the rack is Chris’ SBR the Thunderboominstick which belched much fire with 855 green tip.

And the M-1 was also a testament to having common platforms across your team, 8 rounds and a reload added a bit of complexity to the team work.

Tactical training for Liberty, Fraternity, Excellence

Profile photo of Free Chicken DinnerRRS
    Participant

The PTR of “French Resistance” didn’t work so hot either

Tactical training for Liberty, Fraternity, Excellence

Profile photo of DiznNCDiznNC
    Participant

Back to the OP, my opinion of the AK is it is a very viable choice for a weapons system. It is nowhere near the junk some think it is; it is also no where near invincible as some think it is. It is just a very good weapons system for unconventional warfare, where you may have limited support and training.

As Robert has said, some have managed to fuck it up, with these import jobs, but on the whole it is a very reliable weapon. And granted, the price differential is no longer there, especially if you want a nice Arsenal or similar, so really, in this country, it is no longer the weapon of choice, especially for those on a limited budget.

I ran a couple of Arsenals for awhile, both 7.62 and 5.45. I gotta say it really changed my ideas about them. They are not the pieces of shit “old sarge” would have me believe; neither are they perfect as others would have you believe. They are good weapons for close combat, out to about 200m. You might push that if better ammo was available.

Would I become familiar with them? Absolutely. There are still plenty of them around and you never know. Would I choose one at this point? No. In this country, with both the technical support and training available to you, the AR makes more sense. Yes it is lighter and there for not as robust as the AK, but it is also more accurate, out to 400m+, with better (match) ammo available.

And the kicker is the selector lever. With the AR you can re-engage the safety every time you move, as opposed to eastern philosophy of leaving it off throughout the whole engagement. Yes you can get the Krebs and make it work. In fact you should get the Krebs and practice with it.

That being said, if you have the long-time investment in them, like Robert, I don’t think you’re at any disadvantage. As long as you invest in the ammo and training to support them, you’re GTG. But if you’re just starting out, there’s really no reason to pick one over an AR these days.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Profile photo of dnbdnb
    Participant

Get one. Run the piss out of it until it breaks, then fix it(Same with ar’s). Get a bolt repair kit, magpul forend with a light, an rs regulate mount, light 1-4 scope, and be good to go. Oppose to krebs, one can just modify the safety, cut a notch for bolt. The index and middle finger are sufficient to manipulate the safety.

One distinct advantage of a ak is to get one with a folding stock. Very handy truck gun. Although ar pistols are pretty handy to. 223 Aks with the mag well conversions to accept ar mags are great.

Both ar and ak are great. Both break. Both systems are figured out and are proven. Basically no reason not to have both if one can. Run the piss out them. Weight of ammo, ergo, and ease of mounting give ar an edge for utility.

Profile photo of jwfjwf
    Participant

Thanks for all the replies.

Profile photo of Lloydshooter
    Participant

…I was curious if the AK platform is worth learning how to use?

I know mentioning his name here is close to blasphemy, but I once had a conversation with Pat Rogers where he asked me if I had any interest in hosting him for an “AK Operators Course”. I responded along the lines of, “I don’t give a shit about using a piece of crap AK.” He agreed that the AK is a piece of crap, compared to something in the M4 family, but also said: “There are more AK’s out there in the world than any other firearm… Even if you think it’s a piece of shit, EVERYBODY should know how to use one.”

I took that to heart and spent about a year shooting nothing but AK’s, and I got damned good at running one, stock, unmodified, like you might pick up at a terrorist event or in the 3rd world… I don’t hate them anymore, but I still think they’re a piece of crap, compared to something in the M4 family.

Opinions are like a-holes- everybody’s got one…. but when people ask me about AK’s, I tell them the same thing: DO NOT make it your primary choice. DO NOT modify it with custom grips, forends, rails, optics, safety, etc. Buy a “standard” piece of crap AK like a WASR or a SAR and learn to run it, simply because there are a whole bunch of piece of crap AK’s out there.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Participant

I personally like the 5.45 AKs in terms of shooting. The recoil with the muzzle brake is nil compared to the 7.62 AK.

I have currently just one 74, bought kind of on a whim a few years ago when I was planning on buying a thermal who’s core was only rated to 5.56 Got it and shot it a bit and it just didn’t feel right to me. I’ve probably logged 100K rounds through x39 AK’s in almost 30 years of using them. Nothing wrong with the 74’s but it just felt different to me. Probably the better crossover choice for those used to M4’s though.

We trained with AR platform back in the day for a good while. Had a CAR15 go total tits up on me (round seized in chamber) during a time I really needed it. Later after going through the “it wasn’t the right manufacturer” deal via some friends, I bought a Colt Match HBAR. Used that for a while, suffering the same FTF/FTE jams until finally after about 1,500 or so rounds had a spent case seize in the chamber like the CAR15 did. I guess they are just not for me.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Profile photo of jwfjwf
    Participant

What guns should a citizen know how to use? What are the more common guns your most likely to come across as “pick ups” if shtf?

Profile photo of RonWfarmer
    Participant

What guns should a citizen know how to use? What are the more common guns your most likely to come across as “pick ups” if shtf?

Off the top of my head, the main long gun “families” of rifles:
    AR
    AK
    M1 Garand, M1A, 30 Carbine, Ruger Mini 14/30. <— similar action design
    The 3 above is what I think will be most common.

Less common would be older HK 91/93 series rifles
    FAL

Shotguns:
    Pumps–location of safety–Rem 870 at trigger guard, Mossberg 500- top-rear of receiver

Less less common would be the Franchi SPAS 12- Semi auto/pump combo. The switch is located on the foreend. This shotgun is HEAVY

farmer

RonW

Participant

Lot of Bubba’s that bought SKS rifles back in the day also. I remember guys buying them 10 at a go at $89. each at gunshows. Operates like a retarded love child of an AK/Garand get together… LOL
    I’m guessing about as many of them out there as FN’s. Not super common, but out there.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Inactive

Yes, plenty of SKS out there. While not as efficient as the AR or AK platform, it can be a good rifle if you have a quality one. I have a pristine 1954 Russian Tula SKS, which I traded in a Chinese for in the 80s. Night and day as to trigger pull and machining.

That being said, I wouldn’t swap my FN Patrol Carbine for one, lol.

Participant

Lot of Bubba’s that bought SKS rifles back in the day also. I remember guys buying them 10 at a go at $89. each at gunshows. Operates like a retarded love child of an AK/Garand get together… LOL
    I’m guessing about as many of them out there as FN’s. Not super common, but out there.

If you drove to Interordnance in Charlotte, you could get an unopened crate of 12 for 50$ a piece. Ask me how I know.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of JamisonJamison
    Participant

I have a MAADI that I picked up some time ago from a buddy for the high dollar price of 100$ it had the single stack magwel, A few hours with a buddy (machinist) and his dremmel, we took it out, ran mags through it, it feeds like a champ. I keep it around for weapons familiarization, SHTF etc, in case somebody needs a rifle. The damn thing runs great. It’s all MISR with the exception of the receiver. I don’t have more than 300$ total in it with 12 mags. 2 magpul, 10 “used Surplus” Metal mags that happened to come new in sealed packages that I bought a few months ago. The only thing it really needs is a brake/FH of some sort and a few cases of ammo. I need to figure out if it can be threaded, and if it can’t then another option to use. Damn compliance BS…

I know that wasn’t really relevant but I had to share that awesome find. I wouldn’t have bought an AK otherwise if it wasn’t for the price….

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter-accusations.

Nulla fatere. Nega omnia. Accusatis calumniatorem. Demanda probationem.

Participant

I have a MAADI that I picked up some time ago from a buddy for the high dollar price of 100$ it had the single stack magwel, A few hours with a buddy (machinist) and his dremmel, we took it out, ran mags through it, it feeds like a champ. I keep it around for weapons familiarization, SHTF etc, in case somebody needs a rifle. The damn thing runs great. It’s all MISR with the exception of the receiver. I don’t have more than 300$ total in it with 12 mags. 2 magpul, 10 “used Surplus” Metal mags that happened to come new in sealed packages that I bought a few months ago. The only thing it really needs is a brake/FH of some sort and a few cases of ammo. I need to figure out if it can be threaded, and if it can’t then another option to use. Damn compliance BS…

I know that wasn’t really relevant but I had to share that awesome find. I wouldn’t have bought an AK otherwise if it wasn’t for the price….

Not sure about the legal issues, but it CAN be threaded. I did with my two Saigas by buying an AK barrel threading kit for 50. http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Inactive

When you get it threaded, I highly recommend this muzzle device:

http://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/Fighter-AK47-Muzzle-Brake-Fighter-Brake.htm

I have it on mine. Way better than a slant brake.

Profile photo of JamisonJamison
    Participant

Not sure about the legal issues, but it CAN be threaded. I did with my two Saigas by buying an AK barrel threading kit for 50. http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/

No legal issues, it’s 922 compliant thus far, I think I would need to change out Trigger group if I thread it. I just need to mic out the barrel and see if there’s enough meat on there to go with 1/2×28. If not then I’m sure there’s a sleeve/adapter somewhere maybe for one of the larger threaded comps/FH.

When you get it threaded, I highly recommend this muzzle device:

http://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/Fighter-AK47-Muzzle-Brake-Fighter-Brake.htm

I have it on mine. Way better than a slant brake.

I would, but I think that I’ll probably only be able to thread 1/2×28 if at all.

Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter-accusations.

Nulla fatere. Nega omnia. Accusatis calumniatorem. Demanda probationem.

Inactive
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.