Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Opinions on the AK platform?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Opinions on the AK platform?

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Inactive
    Profile photo of CorvetteCorvette
    Participant

Didn’t read all the comments so may be redundant, but there always is the Galil, 5.56 ammo so compatible with the AR and likely ammo pickups in the field and they solved the Saftey engagement/operations with a thumb operated lever on the left side of the pistol grip.

I have two, they work great.

Corvette

Profile photo of jwfjwf
    Participant

So I did end up buying an Arsenal 106 (5.56 AK) thinking it would be a great rifle but it turns out it was a POS. My smith fixed the feed ramp issue then it at least ran reliably. After that, I played with it a bit and then sold it.

I have owned AKs before (A Wasr and A converted Saiga) but I never really “ran” them.

Between that Arsenal, rental ranges and an attempt at running a friends AKs in a carbine course I have came to the conclusion that you guys were right. I should have listened to the advice here and just stuck to rental ranges to learn the AK. The AR15s ergonomics are just light years ahead of the AK and after messing around with the AK a bit, I just feel like the AK does not offer much. Not to say its a bad rifle but it kind of felt like I had just ditched a Cadillac for a Pinto.

Profile photo of RobertRobert
    Participant

AK in .223 is as ridiculous idea as an AR15 in 7.62×39 sorry to be blunt, but it is what it is. You will totally waste your money buying a .223 AK and of course miss the economies of scale of the world having upwards of 50 million or more AK’s produced in X39 and 5.45 You essentially bought a car with square tires… and whether Porsche or Pinto, that a dumb idea.

EVERY and I mean every .223 AK I’ve ever seen in use has been a total POS.

The only redeeming thing is that you bought a good brand, so your resell value will be decent. But overall it’s a total waste of money to buy an AK in .223 or an AR in 7.62×39 IMO.

A HUGE thing in weapons is staying with standardization. When you get outside the box with standard rifles in oddball calibers (oddball for the platform in this case) you are jip’ing yourself of the economies of scale argument.

I don’t know who TF came up with the idea of an AK in .223, I’m guessing Norinco was the first I’ve seen bastardize the AK in that manner, but it was a horrible idea. Then people came with the idea of not buying the $70. .223 mags (yeah, reason #4365 why you don’t buy a standard rifle in an oddball caliber- mags will kill you in price and are unreliable as hell) but jury rigging 5.45 mags and trying that. Another bad idea.

AK’s should be in X39 or 5.45 if you want them to work. The .22lr trainer AK’s, yeah I bought 3 of them years ago when my son was 10 and couldn’t handle a full size, they jam like hell too. As soon as I could get him to hold the knuckle pushup position he was building arm strength so we could get him up to a real X39 AK. By 12 he started with that. I’ve taught piles of kids, women to shoot X39 AK’s so the too much recoil argument only works for the rainbow crowd.

I understand AR guys invested in that platform might think “I’ll get an AK in .223 so it’s one less caliber to stock.” Well that’s a horrible idea, better to just not buy one than buy a .223 AK. With all the problems I’ve experienced with 3 AR’s over the years, I would never consider getting a 7.62×39 AR15 cause I guarantee you that would be worse than the standard model.

Show up to a class at VTC that I’m at, I’d be happy to pull you aside for a half hour after class and teach you how to run an AK. You don’t need to buy one, just do not show up with a .223 AK LOL :good:

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of jwfjwf
    Participant

Actually, I agree with everything you just said. I learned that $1300 lesson the hard way. As I get out of the “latest and greatest” collectors mindset and more into the prepared citizen mindset I find myself more worried about logistics and less worried about bells and whistles. Same reason I am considering going back to
    Glocks. Honestly , I do not care for the AKs controls but I did prefer the 5.45 to the 7.62×39.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)Joe (G.W.N.S.)

As I get out of the “latest and greatest” collectors mindset…

I am a “gun nut” in recovery. ;-)

I got my Colt SP1 almost 40 years ago, got into AK’s around 30 years ago.

The Chinese AK’s were an attractive option, a X39 AK, a dozen mags, three 75 round drums, and two 1100 round cases of ammo for right at $400. Great starter kit! :yes:

That’s less than I paid for the SP1.

Now I try hard to fight my collector side and have just the basics.

Profile photo of RobertRobert
    Participant

Actually, I agree with everything you just said. I learned that $1300 lesson the hard way. As I get out of the “latest and greatest” collectors mindset and more into the prepared citizen mindset I find myself more worried about logistics and less worried about bells and whistles. Same reason I am considering going back to
    Glocks. Honestly , I do not care for the AKs controls but I did prefer the 5.45 to the 7.62×39.

The collector thing is easy to do. BTDT as well. I moved out of Florida in late 1999 with around 100 guns of various types. Lot of them where just stupid impulse buys when I had some extra cash at a show. A good many of them were proven unreliable in just normal usage. Why keep them? Had a baby and took a big drop in income around the same time and that got me ruthlessly going through my “collection” and bringing it down to much lower numbers.

The reality hit me that I have weapons for training and for SHTF, that’s pretty much it. So unreliable weapons or weapons I didn’t fully trust went to the shows first, then “show” guns that were more pretty than practical (IMI Model B, Law 12, etc.).

Only one I have ever really “missed” is the IMI Uzi, there was just some beauty about it :heart:

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.