Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Paint, Cerakote, other coating??

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Paint, Cerakote, other coating??

This topic contains 20 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of blue blue 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

I have read multiple posts regarding painting ARs. If I’m reading correctly, the primary purpose is to break up the pattern and the color black (not a natural color in my AO). I have seen coatings such as Cerakote or KG or Duracoat but I think these have more to do with corrosion protection?? How does Cerakote or KG or any of the other coatings compare?? Worth it?? Not worth it??

Thanks in Advance.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of dnb
    dnb
    Participant

I have an AK that has grey Norrells Moly Resin finish. Looks cool. Read up on Norrells, it is supposed to be very easy to apply and very thin. Mine was done by a smith when I bought the rifle. I like it, it has held up well, I don’t baby it. Also have another rifle with duracoat (i think). I prefer the Norrells, but have no complaints on the duracoat, but also have not ran it through the ringer. Work in progress.

I want to do my 30-30 with Norrells since it is a reg steel blued rifle and the coating is very thin. Thinking about doing myself.

As far as worth it, I don’t think coatings are worth it for an AK or AR. They are made to run in crap conditions. I’d just paint mine from here on out.

I got rid of all my rifles that were pretty and like rifles that can be washed in a river if need be.

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

Both of my rifles are painted using krylon spray paint. Then covered with several layers of flat clear coat. The paint gets rubbed off over time where the rifle rubs against other items but it’s no big deal. Besides the weapon is a tool, much like a hammer. Whoever owns a hammer which is spotless, tells me they don’t know how to use a hammer!

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

All the special coats will be labor intensive to apply correctly. Pretty much have to start at bare metal. Most people just get krylon camo in tan, brown, or green and spray it on. Don’t even have to use that much. You are just trying to break up the pattern because a long black linear thing will stand out in nature.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

same here
    The specialized coatings are pretty ‘nice’ and look great but I can’t justify the cost or effort. The spray cans work for me just fine.

Profile photo of Pinky
    Pinky
    Participant

You can buy Air-dry cerakote in very small sample containers directly and it is cheap. One bottle will do 2-4 rifles depending on how heavy you go. It is very tough stuff. I did base coat of OD green on a few rifles as a protective layer then hit it with krylon. Krylon comes off, cerakote does not (without sandblasting or other mechanical means)

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

wheelsee
    Participant

Thanks……another example of the cost of being on this forum paying for itself from just 1 question……

Profile photo of cynikal
    cynikal
    Participant

I did a rifle in Alumahyde 2, i has held up OK … better than my buddies Krylon but i have noticed rubs. it goes on like spray paint but needs a warm room to apply real good.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Thanks……another example of the cost of being on this forum paying for itself from just 1 question……

Agreed. I’ve been planning to paint one, but keep thinking about the other coatings. To have somebody else Cerakote an AR is $350+ and you pay shipping. It’s $35/can, so you are over $100 to do 3 colors yourself and you have to buy a sprayer.

Krylon and Rustoleum camo colors are about $10 each. If you don’t like your paint job, just spray it again and you’ll still be money ahead. You can also change it seasonally if needed. More green in the summer and more brown/tan or white in the winter.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

I think in another thread Joe advised if you don’t like the paint, submerge in brake fluid for a removal. I am too lazy and busy today to look up the other thread…..

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am too lazy and busy today to look up the other thread…

For those that want to remove basic rattle can finish without damaging original finish, Brake Fluid. Submerged is fastest, but draped with soaked cloth works too. Nylon bristle brush after a while will clean it right off.

Can’t speak to fancy stuff or all polymers, but on classic milspec stuff is fine.

So can’t use resale as an excuse. ;-)

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have some that are painted ALL flat white. One issue with clear coats, that I don’t like is they are glossy and are like a signal mirror even the “Satin” clear coat is to glossy for me. One thing I have done is, go ahead and do the clear seal coats. Then after a few weeks of drying, I do a dusting of a few colors, just to knock off the shine.

More and more, we are using solid color “Duck Tape”. Not the camo duck tape, it ends up looking like a solid color, but brown and green and light tan, etc. We even use white duck tape in the winter, which is about five months.

The truth is that here, only a lot of white works in the winter, and even a light colored desert camo pattern stands out. And in the summer here any color that is NOT white works as long as it is flat. I think busy como patterns are for the eye candy of the owner, and big areas of roughly 5″ to 7″ chunks of earth tone works well, it is not sexy to the owners eye, but works. We use push-button QR sling swivels, and you need to not get paint inside of those.

Study the wild animals in your area to see what works. Especially the large animals. The small animals do tend to have a busy como pattern, but the animals that are man size generally are just two colors.

Profile photo of Pinky
    Pinky
    Participant

here is a link on cerakote: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/C-241Q/od-green/

$35. I did 3 full rifles with a “tester” size.

Many colors to chose from: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/?tab=coatings&cat=CSERIES

You can apply like spray paint with a cheap aerosol sprayer, let air dry, and profit.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Virgil Kane
    Participant

here is a link on cerakote: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/C-241Q/od-green/

Many colors to chose from: https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/?tab=coatings&cat=CSERIES

You can apply like spray paint with a cheap aerosol sprayer, let air dry, and profit.

Single color?

Masters II
    Georgia
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

One of the best paints you can use is Aervoe. Brownells sells it. Do a search for it on the web and look at the difference between it and Krylon.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

wheelsee
    Participant

Thank you for all the replies and information…….again, worth the entry fee…..

Profile photo of Pinky
    Pinky
    Participant

I just did a base of OD green, then krylon on that. You can do multiple layers if you like I suppose, never tried it

Single color?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

The best OTS spray paint I’ve personally tried was Majic Oil Base camo paint from Tractor Supply:
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-camouflage-spray-paint-12-oz-olive-drab

It takes forever and a day to dry so be patient, but the colors are great and it sticks forever. You will notice the much thicker consistency vs. your typical enamels like Krylon.

@Pinky that is some great info there. Bookmarked.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Virgil Kane
    Participant

Has anybody tried Hydrodipping? I see kits online as low as $59.

Masters II
    Georgia
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

This is Aervoe Field Drab. I like the color a lot. This picture was just taken a few minutes ago, with paint still wet. It should lighten up just a bit when dry.

Do I really need to add other colors? I kinda like it as-is.

Profile photo of blue
    blue
    Participant

http://aervoe.com/paints_coatings/Military-Vehicle-and-Recreation-Camouflage-Paint.html

You can also purchase the paint directly from Aervoe by the case, but they charge you a pretty penny for shipping.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.