Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Prepare for the forum to go Non-Pay

Home Forums News & Training Updates Prepare for the forum to go Non-Pay

This topic contains 29 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I made the call to IT, not sure how long it will be for them to pull their finger out.

We are going back to a free forum. If you are due to pay your $25, don’t.

The alumni forum will remain hidden for alumni only, so that will be the private part of the forum. If you need to get on that, email me and I will add you.

I hope the shift back will cause minimum disruption. I will let you know any updates as they come.

If anyone has any issues with the $25 you have paid, let me know, I hope that you have had sufficient value to cover that annual $25.

Why is this happening?

1) Ultimately, a closed forum is not helping to spread the word and to increase the MVT community. I know it made it a better forum, and no doubt we will have to deal with retards again, but such is life.

2) I have constant issue with people not being able to pay to renew and all such similar crap. I have lost a deal of members through their frustration with the system. Perhaps if you spread the world, they may come back.

Max

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The Forum was still way above average when a open format for rational discussion.

This shouldn’t change.

As a heads up for the rare occurrence of problems. Don’t feed the trolls! ;-)

Do not allow yourself to be sucked into unproductive discussions. Help lead by example, we have an exceptional group of people on the Forum.

Constructive disagreement has always been fine, arguing for the sake of arguing or any flaming will be dealt with swiftly.

If issues arise the moderator team will address it in a timely manner. As always feel free to PM me or our other moderators of something that needs to be brought to our attention.

Let’s see this as an opportunity to spread the word. :yes:

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

With an open forum, any advice on names being “out there”??

Maybe first name only (in tag line)??

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With an open forum, any advice on names being “out there”??

I would think most who need to know already know both username and name. So it seems to be whatever individual is comfortable with.

If anyone has put out something they want changed or modified use the edit tab. If having problems PM me and I’ll do my best to accommodate your changes.

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

There’s enough folks around here who will be seen as the “senior members” and set the tone. Generally, people will fall in line with the level of discourse, or they will leave.

Good moderation will help.

Something to keep in mind is that newbies are going to ask a lot of questions about things that have been discussed ad nauseam. Some of us, including me, will have to be conscious of discouraging them by telling them to use the search or something. I’ve seen that happen in other technical oriented boards. There’s a balance to be had between encouraging new participants and rehashing the same subjects over again.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of winter_is_coming
    winter_is_coming
    Participant

I recently joined and between the videos and the Forum, I have definitely already gained $25 in value. Best wishes, Max, in expanding your/our tribe.

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

This is a good thing. Bravo!

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Worth a shot. As long as the majority of members work with, not against, the moderators this should work out. Definitely a good idea to require registration though.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

A buddy of mine used to read a SF forum called Professional Soldiers, it was/is an open forum but the policy was you had to register and introduce yourself into the Introductions before posting elsewhere as a rule, something similar here could help you and the other admins police the forum to keep the wingnuts out.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Max
    Keymaster

Also, as we head towards this, if there are any suggestions for organisation of the forum topics, new areas, whatever, it will be easier after the forum goes non-pay. Up till now, if I created a new section, I had to get IT to then hide it, so it was a pain. I just want through and updated some section titles etc.

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

Re: Organization

I think it is pretty well sorted as far as subjects go. I don’t usually notice because I gravitate to the “Latest Activity” button, but the actual navigation can be confusing. When looking down the list of forums, the sub forums look jumbled. It can make it difficult to find the exact location/discussion you’re looking for. It doesn’t do it for all of them, though.

Photos attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

You may want to consider a donation section on the pay tab. Survival blog does this at a suggested value of 10 cents per day. That’s just a suggested value, people pay it or not. I would continue to pay based on value of content.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Thomas
    Thomas
    Participant

I agree with roadkill. The content has real value. Put up a sponsorship donation mechanism.

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

I’ll be the stick in the mud- are you *sure* you want the *entire* forum open immediately?
    Yeah I saw the Alum is still closed- what I mean is, to avoid a complete infestation of retardation (you KNOW this is coming…), maybe start with “some” areas open, or even perhaps add new a “newbies section” ?
    Hell, maybe go with a “FNG” section as the only open section initially as a beta-test area, and see what happens before committing the whole forum.
    Or have a “probation time limit” on the FNG section- like 30/60 days or so, before full access is granted. Another forum I’m on has something similar in reverse, where you have to have X-number of posts elsewhere on the forum before you can access some other areas.
    No, I don’t think turning MVT into a post-count driven achievement basis is the way to go (to many faux-experts that get respect due solely to huge post counts), just using it as an example of other temporary-access-limited forums.

Further, as Brigand pointed out- new folks are gonna ask a lot of dumb questions over and over and over and over… A dedicated “FNG” area with a pinned FAQ with links to previous threads of relevant info could potentially go a long way to combating that, as annoying repeat questions can simply be directed to/linked the “Knowledge Base Post”. Not saying the FAQ/KBP has to be perfectly complete before this goes live- surely it will grow organically as new topics are discussed, it just needs to be kept up with…. Because I assume nobody want to answer the “which lube should I use” or ” which sling should I buy” or “Is My AR500 armor gud” questions the 5,343 times they will be asked… ;-)
    An yeah…get ready to answer a LOT of gear-oriented questions… :wacko: :yahoo:

Just a thought.

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…to avoid a complete infestation of retardation (you KNOW this is coming…)…

We never had a huge problem before the subscription phase here.

Things were above and beyond the typical Forum even then.

There maybe some growing pains, but I suspect we’ll keep content quality high regardless. We’ve been good about pointing people to older material and our no dead threads has worked well, since few subjects are truly complete.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

…to avoid a complete infestation of retardation (you KNOW this is coming…)…

We never had a huge problem before the subscription phase here.

Things were above and beyond the typical Forum even then.

There maybe some growing pains, but I suspect we’ll keep content quality high regardless. We’ve been good about pointing people to older material and our no dead threads has worked well, since few subjects are truly complete.

I agree with Joe on this, comparatively, MVT forums were always civil and had fewer retards showing up.

Max is doing this to open up his target market and in that it is a good thing. Yes you got to take the BS with the good sometimes, that’s life.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of john
    texas
    Participant

Curious if there is some way to delineate alumni separately as ‘alumni’ rather than ‘participant’ in the open forum? I am referring specifically about the designations displayed next to our profile names in every comment.

Might be useful in two ways.
    First, it lets alumni know a bit more where someone is coming from skill/mindset wise when in a discussion. Though, I am guessing many of us already recognize each other by now, but the more MVT grows the more this might matter.
    Second it would reenforce that the forum is more than just and internet discussion platform, in that it is a link for guys that have trained together to continue building the whole warrior.

Seeing that so many of the existing alumni are engaged in helping others might be a catalyst for some do do training.

Thoughts?

RS/CTT/CP (VTC 10/15)
    RS/CTT/Mobility/NODF (Texas 02/16)
    FoF (VTC 03/16 Blue Team)
    CRS/CTT/NODF (Texas 02/17)
    CQB/FoF (Texas 03/17)
    DCH (VTC 03/17)
    IG: jmp_texas

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

designations displayed next to our profile names

I like that

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

:good:

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

The signature file which most here add their class attended lists to would work really well for that. No forum changes needed…

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Max
    Keymaster

I just got an email that the forum is non pay. Knowing IT, they prob fucked up shit. I still cant see the forum list home page, I get payment info instead. Are the aub menus fixed? Other issues?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Other issues?

Everything seems normal.

The log in appears as if used to back in the day, I logged off and logged in without problem.

Seems good so far.

Max
    Keymaster

No, on my end it is a fuck up, and I have just written to them. It seems just as it was but simply free to join. I can’t see the homepage, I stull have payment information, but it has always been like that since it went pay. Send me screenshots or something.

It looks to me that the homepage is simply where you can register, but now for free. If you are not logged in, nothing is visible. The idea was to a have a visible forum as we used to have, with free registration to comment.

The donate button to me is a word link, not a button.

I may be seeing things differently due to my admin status.

Fucking millennial IT dudes not paying attention to simple instructions (I hope you read this). Very fucking frustrating.

Send me info/screenshots on what you see, logged in and logged out.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I can’t see the homepage…

Now I understand what your talking about. ;-)

Yea, someone can sign up for free and then have access.

Someone can’t just view and read as a non-member.

I was too focussed on glitches, not the open format part.

Yea, I even tried pasting url when logged out and it didn’t work either.

We are free, but not yet open.

Profile photo of john
    texas
    Participant

So, if you open a browser, where you are not logged in or registered and paste a known URL to the forum, you can get to content.

But, like you are both saying normal access to un-authenticated users is “blocked” by the registration page.

Open from a clear browser: https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/prepare-for-the-forum-to-go-non-pay/#post-61211

RS/CTT/CP (VTC 10/15)
    CQB/FoF (Texas 03/17)
    DCH (VTC 03/17)

Profile photo of john
    texas
    Participant

Though oddly enough, even that is screwed up. If you try and navigate anywhere the normal prompt for free registration pops.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

RS/CTT/CP (VTC 10/15)
    CQB/FoF (Texas 03/17)
    DCH (VTC 03/17)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The current Home tab goes to https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com

It needs to be changed to https://forum.maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/

…and the protected content needs to be removed from everything, but Alumni and Moderator forums.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Of course the restricted Alumni and Moderator needs to be kept as two distinct permissions to avoid Alumni viewing Moderator forum.

Which happened once before.

Max
    Keymaster

Guys I cannot do anything about this till the IT guy bothers his ass tomorrow, if at all. It appears he just stripped payment protection and went home leaving me with the baby. No effort was made to correct the forum fully.

I need a new IT company. Sadly, I may still be paying them for the site rebuild.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Guys I cannot do anything about this…

Just brainstorming, other than On the Forum I haven’t seen you advertise this change.

So if you wait until we are sure everything works as intended it s only our frustration. Just don’t want people coming here until it’s ready to avoid looking bad.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.