Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Previous Conflicts in Our AO's

Home Forums Operational and Strategic Levels Previous Conflicts in Our AO's

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Free Chicken Dinner RRS 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Many things change in warfare, but the fundamentals remain the same.

Through out our nations history there have been many armed events, in fact you would be hard pressed to find areas untouched by some sort of battle. The study of these previous conflicts in our AO’s would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Besides the obvious Revolutionary, Civil, and Indian Wars, don’t forget events such as the Battle of Blair Mountain and Battle of Athens.

This knowledge maybe priceless one day! :yes:

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

This why I can never be truly defeated!

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

French and Indian war….

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

French and Indian war….

Exactly!

By study of these conflicts in or near our AO’s you can address the “lessons learned” from them.

For example:

How did the terrain affect it?

Weather conditions?

Resupply?

What lead to victory or defeat?

The above just scratches the surface.

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Including the results of these studies into our “IPB/Area Study” would also be of benefit “Post-Event” for others within your group who may be ignorant of these Conflicts.

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

I had some ancestors that fought in the French and Indian War, lol…Good that you mentioned the Battle of Blair Mountain, that’s the most “modern” battle to occur on US soil so it’s worth considering. The fact that it was what would be called private military contractors nowadays that began the hostilities in Appalachia should also be taken note, history has a way of repeating itself.

If anyone whines that there’s no point to the right to bear arms because modern militaries would just crush any armed revolt, the Battle of Athens is a good counter-example.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am currently reading a book “J.J. Dickison, Swamp Fox of the Confederacy” which reminded me of this often overlooked aspect of IPB/Area Studies.

Dickison operated extensively in my AO and surrounding areas and his Unit Company H, Second Florida Cavalry Regiment, CSA carried most of the responsibility for preventing the Union forces from over running Florida. Outnumbered most of the time he pulled off some almost unbelievable victories.

He wasn’t perfect, but anyone potentially operating in Florida should study his performance.

I will post a review once done reading.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Still applicable yearly bump.

Profile photo of riflemaniv
    riflemaniv
    Participant

French and Indian War. A lot of what Max teaches is based on “La Petite Guerre” or small war fought by irregular forces(rangers and militia) or Native Americans.

CTT1504, NODF 1504, CP 1610

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Studying how and where armed conflict in your Area has occurred is critical to understand. It is also important to know your area, terrain, and how to move and survive in it. Camping, hiking, and backpacking in your AO will pay dividends should you ever need to ‘go guerrilla’ for any reason. Knowing the ground you operate in better than your opponent will increase your chances of survival.

Now that I'm over 50 I realize that my People Skills are fine...it is my tolerance of Idiots that needs work.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Studying…

:good:

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I did some research and actually found very little to my immediate area, only this:

1) Seven Year’s War/French and Indian War: a group of friendly Lenape, returning from a trade deal, were threatened and then later robbed of their valuables at a tavern, strictly due to race. They returned with a legal document to recover their stolen belongings but were threatened away. They then proceeded to kill 25ish people across the countryside. It caused a panic but there was no further conflict. The Lenape were feared for their ability to strike without warning and just as fast disappear. No one considered going after them and the Lenape, in turn, felt justice was served.

2) During the revolutionary war, a building was commandeered and made a hospital in fall 1776 through winter, and then again a year later. Primary sources reported the atrocious state the soldiers were in. Assurances against looting were made by the commanding general as his unit passed through towards Valley Forge. In kind, basic donations of blankets, shirts, shoes/stockings and breeches were made by the local community. Most soldiers of the hospital, many who were only teens, died from illness, not battle wounds. Approximately 500 men died in the hospital. It was only after the leadership and development that happened in Valley Forge under the Prussian commander, Von Steuben (sp?), did the continental army assume basic hygiene standards.

Profile photo of Free Chicken Dinner
    RRS
    Participant

I just picked up to read a DoD commissioned book on Gen Clark’s Revolutionary War campaign in Illinois about the operational art.

Tactical training for Liberty, Fraternity, Excellence

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.