Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Recommended Assault/Day Packs

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment Recommended Assault/Day Packs

This topic contains 52 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of QuietOldMan QuietOldMan 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

Following the conversations over the last few months (here, here, here, and more) the general advice is going towards the lite BB, chest rig/PC, and daypack combo. I see that this offers the most flexibility, and it makes sense for lower profile hit-and-run operations when compared to more traditional larger ruck and full belt kits.

With regards to patrol rucks, I know the recommendation is something along the lines of the 45L Karrimor SF Predator. But what about the daypack? Is there a particular set of features that make one pack more suited than another? What is the ideal capacity? 20L to 30L?

Here are a selection of packs that more or less fit the bill of “assault pack” or “daypack” as I understand it. Would these work into the current philosophy?

SKD PIG 40 Hour Pack

LBT Standard Three Day Pack

Grey Ghost Gear Lightweight Assault Pack

Kifaru Antero

Mystery Ranch ASAP

GORUCK GR1

These all tend to run between $110 and $300. Is that the right bracket to be looking at for a quality assault pack? Unfortunately, until I get actually get out to MVT, I feel as though I’m missing out on some valuable insight in this regard.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

I got the 3-day pack from LA Police Gear, another poster on the forums said it was good in an older thread and it was an easy $30; it’s been nice to me so far though I haven’t had much chance to stress test it beyond casual use.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of Mike Q
    Mike Q
    Participant

BrigandActual- what you are going for is small. Think of a school backpack but a bit bigger. The SKD pig, grey ghost gear lightweight pack, the go ruck, and the mystery ranch ASAP are the right size.

However I know Max has the mystery ranch and didn’t seem to happy about it. Hopefully he can chime in more about that one.

The goruck doesn’t have the ability to cinch down or have any real pocket seperation.

The grey ghost gear doesn’t have the ability to cinch its sides down.

The skd pig looks the best out of this group. Multiple pockets, hydration compatible, and it has side straps to strap down tight.

Personally I’ve been using a different pack. It’s probably a bit on the big side but with the side straps it clinches down nice and tight.
    http://shop.sandpiperca.com/index.php/gear-packs/three-day-pass-coyote-brown.html

There never seems to be enough time to do it right, but there is always enough time to do it twice.

CRM Sept. 2014, CTT 1505, CTT July 2015, RC-Rifleman 1502, CP Nov. 2015, FoF March 2016, CCW May 2016, FoF Oct. 2016, FoF Nov. 2016, CLC April 2017, FoF Nov. 2017, Alumni weekend Aug. 2018, CQB Dec. 2018

Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

Going with that whole light concept, it needs to be small to avoid filling it with junk. My pack is only 1100 cubic inches (18L) It will hold a day’s worth of food, two quarts water, a poncho for shelter, poncho liner w/ poncho cover, socks and some ancillary gear such as water filter and fuel tabs. It weighs in at 14 pounds.

I use a Maxpedition Falcon Pygmy II.
    http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Pygmy-Falcon-II-Backpack-109p145.htm
    It’s built like a tank with 1000D fabric and YKK heavy duty zippers. For the last 5 years or so, it’s been on countless hunting, fishing, canoe and hiking trips and training of course. It lives in the truck and gets accessed/used often.

I also have the slightly larger Condor II (1400 ci). I primarily use this pack for longer hikes and training. I frequently load it to 35 lbs for ruck runs. I used it at the Run n Gun with good results. Maxpedition’s stuff just keeps on running.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

First: don’t buy the ChiCondor crap just to save a buck. How many times does this need to be said?

Yes, the pack needs to be small as a Lite Daypack as part of the MVT gear philosophy. Think of it as a better/more flexible way of carrying the gear that you may habe traditonally carried in the large rear admin pouches on a heavy battle belt.

Things you are thinking of carrying are short term items such as night vision, batteries, water, days rations, water purification, hat glives, limited snivel gear / shelter etc.

Avoid the book bag type packs that are all the rage. They have no flexibility. Ideally you want compression straps on the side, the ability to put some mag pouches on the exterior, and a traditional lid that compresses down.

In the line of MVT Gear on the design line, is a small 30 – 35 liter daypack that will achieve these aims.

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

Following
    A guy in one of the classes I was in had an ATS pack, one of the cobra models? That worked very well, could hold a bladder.

http://atstacticalgear.com/cobra-2-6/

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of DiznNC
    DiznNC
    Participant

Yeah I like the “Yote” style pack. Several mfg’s make one similar to this. And yeah we are also working on something as well.

As Max, Mike, and others said, light is right, so I would stay on the “helmet pack” side of the equation. Just enough room for a water bladder, some spare ammo, high energy snacks, spare batts, cleaning kit, etc. It can also carry your NODs and helmet or “night cap”. Perhaps a light weight, stuffable jacket, depending on weather. It’s not going to be real comfortable, but you will be highly mobile.

Cinch straps are essential. You must be able to cinch the pack down to the load at hand. A few zip pockets are nice to haves but not essential. An expandable pouch for helmet or other gear is nice to have. These style packs cinch up or down for a wide range of adjustment.

Lightly padded shoulder straps. Waist strap not required. Sternum strap a good add (if you use one, which I do).

ATS, Eagle, Blackhawk, and others all make this style pack. I like the ATS model best.

CTT 1505, NODF 1505, CP 1503, LN 1, RC II, Rifleman

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

TT Fight Light Assault pack.
    Put a hydration bladder in it.

Think Hydration pack that’s big enough to carry mission essential items and an MRE.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

BrigandActual
    Participant

There does seem to be room for personal preferences, but the general trend I’m gathering is that an “ideal” daypack has roughly the following features:

– Roughly 20-30 liters of capacity
    – Cinch Straps for load compression
    – Traditional top loading as opposed to zippered clamshell opening
    – Chest strap
    – No hip belt (or at least removable/stowable)
    – Hydration compatible (dedicated sleeve, port, etc.)

Options I cam come up with that meet this spec list include:

– Medium ALICE pack
    – Kifaru Zippy and XRay
    – Spec Ops Brand Recon Ruck (more or less an updated medium ALICE)
    – Karrimor SF Predator 30

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of riflemaniv
    riflemaniv
    Participant

“TT Fight Light Assault pack.
    Put a hydration bladder in it.”

This. I ran one of these on the CP class in October. So far it seems to be the cats ass. I could attach it to my ruck, chest rig or wear it as a backpack as needed. It was the perfect size for a bladder, snacks and my NOD gear on the Nite recce. I ended up getting a couple of these to make attaching it to my chest rig easier. buckle

CTT1504, NODF 1504, CP 1610

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

The MOLLE II Assault Pack fits the bill nicely. It even has a six mag bandoleer that snaps into the outer pouch.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

IIRC the medium ALICE pack can be cinched internally to make a much smaller pack…..

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

IIRC the medium ALICE pack can be cinched internally to make a much smaller pack…..

Yes. If you look inside, you will see D rings and ties at the bottom. Tie them together and it becomes an assault pack. Most people don’t know about this.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yes, the pack needs to be small as a Lite Daypack as part of the MVT gear philosophy.

Things you are thinking of carrying are short term items such as night vision, batteries, water, days rations, water purification, hat glives, limited snivel gear / shelter etc.

Consider what Max is saying in the above.

Gather together the items you want to carry, throw them in a pillow case and weigh it.

Does the combined weight of these items and your other load bearing gear fit into the MVT philosophy?

If it does, try packing the items into the smallest box you can fit it into and measures the dimensions.

Now you have the information to make an informed decision.

Having some extra room for flexibility is good, but I think too many are mistaken what a “Lite Daypack” is.

Profile photo of SeanT
    SeanT

The MOLLE II Assault Pack fits the bill nicely. It even has a six mag bandoleer that snaps into the outer pouch.

These are durable as shit but heavy. I have a few I got cheap and use them in vehicles as a general oh shit kit.
    I have used a camelback hawg and it is a useful size but you couldn’t stash a helmet in it I don’t think.

Profile photo of Pinky
    Pinky
    Participant

how timely

http://lbtinc.com/bfcm16

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

Get a Crye night cap for NODs. Takes up
    Zero room in pack and weighs nothing. Shit can the helmet unless you need the armor, and then wear it. If you think about it, there is not reason to carry a helmet in a pack. IMO

As Max and Joe are advising, you want a really SMALL pack. Bigger than a Camelback but smaller than a day pack. You can run it empty and use as a hydration bladder or have ability to throw in some euipment you would put in a battle belt. Which isnt much.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Profile photo of dnb
    dnb
    Participant

I have and owned a bunch of packs. Always a bit disappointed in them. From kifaru, grey ghost, source, kuiu, to karrimore.

I mainly use them for back country hunting or day packs for hunting.

I will not buy another pack without physically reviewing it.

My next day pack is going to be eberlestock sawed off.

Go into a sportsmans warehouse and check them out in person. It may exactly what most here are looking for. It’s long and streamlined. I’ll give a review after vetting it. It should be lighter, but most of eberlestocks packs are not lightweight.

https://www.amazon.com/Eberlestock-H3-Sawed-Off-Hydro-Pack/dp/B0153OH4UG?th=1&psc=1

BrigandActual
    Participant

Bumping this one back up because there are new options hitting the market. The one that particularly caught my eye was the Tyr Huron 32L.

Info at SSD

There is also the Velocity Systems/Mayflower 48 hour pack.

Info at Velsyst

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

$400?

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

BrigandActual
    Participant

Not saying it’s the one I would pick, especially over the Karrimor SF options. But it’s out there, and the style is gaining popularity.

Try’s stuff in general is priced beyond most people. Definitely targeting .gov crowds.

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Think Hydration pack that’s big enough to carry mission essential items and an MRE.

Notice as time is going on the packs are getting smaller and have side cinch straps? Most of the time you’ll have extra space because you really are carrying so little.

Keep in mind first and foremost this is for you to fight in. You need to be a fast, mobile killer. Surviving worst case scenario is secondary. When we say survive we mean you are breathing at the end of 24 hours. You will physically survive most situations with the clothes on your back, a waterproof layer, minimal water, and zero food for 24 hours. It will suck and you will need help at the end but you will be alive.

I don’t own this, and I’m not saying run out and buy it, but as a design example it’s the best I’ve seen. Not made in the US, but all US materials.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Keep in mind first and foremost this is for you to fight in. You need to be a fast, mobile killer. Surviving worst case scenario is secondary. When we say survive we mean you are breathing at the end of 24 hours. You will physically survive most situations with the clothes on your back, a waterproof layer, minimal water, and zero food for 24 hours. It will suck and you will need help at the end but you will be alive.

Having spent 10 years on an air medical helo, there was 1 repeating lesson from crash victims – you will only have on you what you are ejected from the aircraft with.

While we were provided with survival kits (I was on the committee for this), they were stored under each of our seats. After hearing several crash victims discuss their experiences, I chose to make my own and always carried it in my right lower leg pocket (flight suit). Keep in mind that while the vast majority of our pilots were prior military, the flight nurses/medics had no such background. Another case of YDKWYDK.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of mark9mmp
    mark9mmp
    Participant

Ive been using a Mayflower 24hour assault pack for a few months now and its my new best piece of kit. Holds a 3liter bladder and rain jacket. Has some room to spare for mission essentials like NODs perhaps or medical. Its forced me to cull ruthlessly to the bare essentials and im better for it. Nalgene for size comparison.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Just a regular guy. Native Kansan and current Okie.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I’m gonna try that ur-tactical pack Tango. I just ordered one. Though I may have comitted a crime, because where is it made?

Looks ideal for size and design. Enough to grt some basic equipment in, but no more.

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

I picked up a Karrimor SF predator 30 off of Ebay for $80, in multicam with tags on it still. I’ve had it about a month now taking it with me to the field (I have a land surveying company), throwing it in and out of the truck or ranger, and it’s holding up well. I have source 3L hydration bladder in it, along with a repackaged MRE, Sawyer water filter, flashlight/batteries and other admin items, and mags of course….

Attachments:

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Ive been using a Mayflower 24hour assault pack for a few months now and its my new best piece of kit.

I have one as a daypack. Capacity is ~12-15L. Size is right if the goal is to have it replace the canteen / sustainment / GP pouches on a full battle belt. It’s small enough that it feels like a hydration pack with extra room for food and items, rather than a backpack. For warm weather, this under the lid of a 45L Karrimor works as a compact ruck + daypack combo (tested it overnight in the woods a few months ago). Pic shows it with canteen pouch and $10 ebay ICOM pouch modified with shock cord.

Attachments:

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

I’m gonna try that ur-tactical pack Tango. I just ordered one. Though I may have comitted a crime, because where is it made?

Looks ideal for size and design. Enough to grt some basic equipment in, but no more.

Cool, would be very interested in what you think of it. Their ebay store ships from Hong Kong, so made in China. It is definitely all USA materials at least.
    http://www.ur-tactical.com/index.php/123

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

That OPS Elf Pack from ur-tactical.com looks about like the Tactical Tailor Removable Pack with a comparable price from Amazon. I have one and I’m happy with it so far. TT makes good gear in USA.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I’ve downright abused a 5.11 Rush 12 and besides grommets falling out of the bottom drainage holes, it’s held up extremely well. It holds 6 bricks over a yoga block perfectly (cough cough, Fitness Challenge). Modular (thanks to molle), durable with nice organization.

They are pretty affordable and plentiful, so easy to pick up used.

I have a GoRuck Rucker, which is similar to the GR0 (but slightly cheaper) and for tactical purposes, it doesn’t cut it for me. For light rucks and workouts it’s great, especially with the GoRuck plates, but I would hate to be stuck with it in the field. It’s built like a tank though.

I really like the Camelbak HAWG, I have the previous gen. I would assume the newer model is just as nice. It’s light, just the right size and functions well for actual field use.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.