Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Remote GARDENING

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JohnyMac JohnyMac 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Around the middle of May every year, I establish a few new remote gardens. I have the awesome gift of living on a homestead in the Chugach National Forest. Next trip to Los’Anchorage I will buy a bag of Yukon Gold seed Potatoes, Garlic Bulbs, Onion Seeds, Carrot Seeds, etc…

As I aspire to do a 3 mile walk’about daily, come the middle of May I will start establishing more remote gardens in the wilderness, and replanting existing gardens. Most are roughly a mile from my cabin.

I rarely ever harvest anything from this gardens, but will in the fall of the year sample the results, while checking the success of that site. These remote gardens are not coordinated with the remote shelters or caches, but established on the bases of open forest allowing sunlight.

Profile photo of JohnyMac
    JohnyMac

My assumption sourdough is your AO is in a remote part of Alaska. If I am wrong “tuck” me in.

If in fact my assumption is correct, why are you using remote gardening? Especially in an area of the country with a short growing season.

Now I to use some remote gardening however within 50 yards of the remote garden is a deer blind (Ground or tree). I do this for obvious reasons.
    Thanks

Freedom Through Self-Reliance
    www.Unchainedpreppers.com/forum

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Well, the reason is, I have “ZERO” interest in fighting to the death foolishly aspiring to defend a fixed position. I have no military training, and when I honestly assess my skill’set every six months: My skill which allows me an advantage, relative to those who would exit Los’Anchorge in a SHTF environment is my 44 years living in remote and/or rural Alaska.
    I don’t need the fruits of the remote gardens now, but may if wandering after departing the homestead.

However more recently when doing skill’set assessment, I am compelled to factor-in the condition of my body. Which is why it is of up-most importance to do skill’set assessments honestly. That way I have lead-time to alter the basic plan.

As to a short growing season……it may be short, but with 24 hours of daylight………..produce grows huge-mungious. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFF7tODO4hk

My assumption sourdough is your AO is in a remote part of Alaska. If I am wrong “tuck” me in.

If in fact my assumption is correct, why are you using remote gardening? Especially in an area of the country with a short growing season.

Profile photo of JohnyMac
    JohnyMac

Great video Sourdough! I guess you do have a lot of sun up there IN THE SUMMER!

A couple years ago MrsMac and I were visiting family in Aberdeen Scotland. My wife got up and went to the bathroom to take a shower a little after sun-up. As I heard her showering I rolled over and looked at my watch and noticed it was 3:30AM local time. When she came out of the bathroom she said, “Your turn.”

I rolled over and said “I was not about to take a shower at 4:00AM in the morning.”

She ran over and got her watch and noticed I was correct in sharing the time. A series of profanity came out of her mouth not unlike you would hear from a Chief Petty Officer busting on a new swabbie. ;-)

On another note: What ever works for ya’ man. :good:

Freedom Through Self-Reliance
    www.Unchainedpreppers.com/forum

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.