Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Ricochet Dangers for Vehicle & Urban Operations

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Ricochet Dangers for Vehicle & Urban Operations

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of JohnnyMac JohnnyMac 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I post this video specifically for the segment between 3:33 and 6:39.

(You can watch the rest of the video if you like, to get some handgun tips instead of attending the DCH in GA on 2/3 March) :scratch:

The ricochet portion is very good and illustrates the point very well.

Vehicle application:

I have never understood the use of ‘urban prone’ when crouching on all fours under a vehicle to shoot. The hard points of a vehicle are the wheel wells and engine block. If you are going prone to shoot under a vehicle get the body behind the wheels, extended out in normal prone.

Using a corner on the interior or exterior of a building to shoot from has specific hazards. This also applies to barricade shooting if that barricade is the end / corner of a wall. If the wall is hard, then rounds can ricochet along it as shown in the video. If it is a soft wall, then it is concealment and not cover, and if the enemy aims short, they may simply shoot you through the corner of the wall.

Food for your thought.

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

Good illustration!

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

segment between 3:33 and 6:39

Great illustration!

Before we became a “kinder and gentler” Nation, I remember being taught how to use this to bounce OO Buck across ground to take rioters feet and legs out from under them.

Times change. :unsure:

…to get some handgun tips instead of attending the DCH…

Funny stuff Max.

Man we have come a long way since back then as depicted in rest of video. ;-)

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Man we have come a long way since back then as depicted in rest of video

Gonna get yourself to the DCH in GA? Just up the road Joe!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Gonna get yourself to the DCH in GA?

Remember that overseas trip I mentioned?

Just up the road Joe!

Yea it would have been, timing sucks!

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

Thanks Max. I’ve been taught that, but I’ve never seen it demonstrated.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

The Chechens in Grozny reported how the 5.45 ricochets noticeably more than the 7.62×39. They claim it led to some fratricide incidents (although I have a feeling that wasn’t the root cause).

In terms of urban prone, there is a different technique with a pistol that provides greater recoil mitigation and ergonomics than a standard prone, but it’s meant specifically for being being a wheel, or similar. And no, I’m not talking about flopping on your side.

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

At 10:59 in the video I noticed he is unloading the empties into his hand instead of dumping them on the ground. Bad habit to get into with a wheel gun.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…unloading the empties into his hand instead of dumping them on the ground. Bad habit to get into with a wheel gun.

Definitely, but most old timers should know better and not many young guys choosing a revolver these days. ;-)

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

The Chechens in Grozny reported how the 5.45 ricochets noticeably more than the 7.62×39…

What do you mean by “ricochets more”? Penetrates less and more prone to ricochet?

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

What do you mean by “ricochets more”?

Straight from the book:

Musa himself was well armed, “I carried a Kalashnikov, the older 7.62mm model, not the smaller 5.45 mm model. The larger round is much better than the 5.45mm because it is less likely to ricochet in urban and forest fighting. Several of our people were killed in Grozny from friendly fire – ricochets from the 5.45mm round.”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.