Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

River trip intel gathering

Home Forums Information & Intelligence River trip intel gathering

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Andrew 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

This summer probably late July Mid-August I am planning a Potomac float trip with my son. He has a kayak I have the canoe. Let’s toss some idea here to make this an intel gathering trip just from the fun of it. Looking at putting in at Hancock and getting out at Brunswick. Approx 70 miles on the river.

Let’s toss some ideas here to make this an intel gathering trip just for the fun of it. What should we look for, how to document etc.

Obviously 1,2 are to document the dams and C&O campsites, need places to sleep and dam #4 is 20ft high.

Thoughts, ideas?

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Amphibious Reconnaissance is a favorite of mine and something I’ve done quite a bit of in my AO.

Use of any navigable waterways plays major role in my options available for many contingencies.

Additionally I enjoy being in the water and any opportunity for family and friends together is a bonus. :yes:

I’ll post some specifics later today.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Looking at putting in at Hancock and getting out at Brunswick.

First pre-trip planning, charts with known features, river guidebooks, many maps and riverine type charts can be overlaid over satellite images using devices.

You have two choices old school hardcopy or smartphone/tablet. A cursory look at your intended route shows its likely to have cell coverage over most if not all of entire trip.

Alternatively a tablet tethered to GPS with preloaded data.

What should we look for, how to document etc.

Potential stealth camp areas, areas suitable for over water camps, infrastructure, agriculture, possible OP’s of these, areas offering overhead coverage, likely ambush sites, navigable connecting creeks, evidence of previous flooding/water levels and how differences would affect noted items.

Photos and notes. Modern approach is to use speech to text with GPS mark points. If can’t approach close enough for a fix, provide bearing and distance from known mark.

Otherwise notepad, camera, map/chart, and compass.

Obviously 1,2 are to document the dams and C&O campsites, need places to sleep and dam #4 is 20ft high.

Regarding dams, designated portages and alternative portages. Consider options for stealth portage.

Don’t forget to observe relative neighborhood types when passing towns/cities.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Remember in a overt recon you may need to play tourist to get pictures of interest.

Don’t want to fall into the “see something, say something” interest of locals. ;-)

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Also, best crossing points (besides major bridges).

River crossings as part of military operations can be a bigger deal than people might realize.

trailman
    Participant

Also, best crossing points (besides major bridges).

River crossings as part of military operations can be a bigger deal than people might realize.

Plenty of that here, a good part of the civil war crossed here multiple times.

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Any of those GPS tablet things water resistant to a decent spec and can you transfer data over to a hard map copy with some accuracy?

trailman
    Participant

Any of those GPS tablet things water resistant to a decent spec and can you transfer data over to a hard map copy with some accuracy?

I have a Garmin GPX60 and a Canon EOS, not buying more electronics.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have a Garmin GPX60 and a Canon EOS, not buying more electronics.

Use what you have, reconnaissance/intelligence has been successfully accomplished with far simpler equipment than that. ;-)

Any of those GPS tablet things water resistant to a decent spec…

Yes, but do not overlook adapting off the shelf through cases and/or improvisation.

It’s not the equipment, it’s the user.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Back in the day we had a rigid hull inflatable with a 5 hp motor. We knew where the crossings were on our side of the Rio Grande, but in many cases had no idea where the launch site was on the Mexican side of the river.

We used that boat to scout the Mexican side and found out where they were launching from. This made it easy to actually watch those locations for vehicles and set up at the appropriate landing site. Or at least call a backup unit to watch the exits to the highway/community, from that area.

Invading Mexico was officially frowned on, but during the day the risks of getting busted where negligible.

Caught quite a few loads of dope of various sizes that way. Good times. :yahoo:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.