Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Round Count for Texas

Home Forums Training: Preparation and Answers Round Count for Texas

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 6 days, 23 hours ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave37
    dave37
    Participant

I’m trying to get ready for Rhodesia, Texas next month. I’ve got the short shorts, the floppy hat, a chest rig, a pair of sneakers, an airsoft rifle painted Baby Poop Green, and I’ve read “Fireforce” three times in the last month.

The question is, how many rounds do I need to bring, both live and airsoft. Also how many cans of green gas and how many airsoft mags am I likely to need.

Texas CTT/Mobility 2017, Missouri 1 Day CQB 2017, Texas HEAT 2 2018

Profile photo of Dave37
    dave37
    Participant

Also what weight of airsoft BBs should I get?

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

I’d be interested in this info as well. I will not be wearing short shorts. Thanks.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Dave37
    dave37
    Participant

I’d be interested in this info as well. I will not be wearing short shorts. Thanks.

All the cool kids will be wearing short shorts…

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

🤣🤣🤣

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

I played airsoft for a while in college. If I am out of my swimlane here please disregard, but below are some of the things I learned.

Don’t use .12g bbs in “nice” guns. They are poorly made and can shatter in the barrel. This can cause all sorts of problems with electric guns to include gearbox damage. I never owned a gas blow back gun like Max sells and advocates for, but I imagine it is bad for them too. Bbs with obvious mold lines, visible voids, or those made of translucent or transparent plastic should similarly be avoided.

For bb weight, check your manual. Unless otherwise suggested by the manufacturer (or the venue you going to) a bag of 5,000 or so highly polished seamless .20g bbs would be good start. It should not cost more than $15-$20 and will last a while. I could play half a dozen or more full day “games” on a single 5K bag, but I usually had an extra bag handy in the staging area. The .20 weight was the industry/community standard when I played.

If your gun is shooting up near or a bit over 400fps with .20s (or is advertised as doing so) then you can switch out for .23s or heavier. .30s were usually only used by “snipers” with tuned bolt guns that shot really hard (the term sniper is hella dumb when applied in this context). Normal ballistic math still applies and heavier bbs will go slower.

Airsim guns have hop-ups and stabilize via backspin and the Magnus effect not longitudinal rotation imparted by rifling. There is no real barrel twist issue with these guns.

Hop-up exists mainly to extend your range and make your bbs fly reasonably flat trajectories. You can over-hop a gun and cause your bbs to fly up sharply at the end of their arc. Instructions on setting your hop-up should be in the manual. Checking your hop-up is a part of zeroing with airsoft guns.

They make (or used to make) biodegradable bbs. They work just fine but some brands can be a bit moisture sensitive if they are improperly stored. I used them almost exclusively for a few years and only had one bag go bad, It was a brand that I only bought once and may not even be on the market anymore. When the bbs went bad they did so in a very obvious manner by swelling and changing texture.

Green gas is propane with silicone oil added to it. As such you can get adapters that allow you to use small propane canisters. I and many if my teammates used something very similar to this Adapter. Mine was metal though.

I used liquid wrench brand spray silicone with my adapter and on my seals. It was rumored that hardware store spray silicone would cause seals to swell, and would eat o-rings. Some folks claim that airsoft specific lubes sold by airsoft vendors (with the associated mark) up are better. I remain unconvinced and believe they are effectively the same stuff. Hobby shops sell silicone oil too, it is usually called shock oil and is meant for RC cars. Said shock oil is not usually a spray. It does leak like mad though.

Bear in mind gas guns are temperature sensitive and the seals will leak more in cold weather. Fps variation and therefore balistics changes can be expected in long fast strings of fire as the mechanisms are cooled by the rapidly expanding propane (it’s kind of the opposite problem from real firearms). It’s usually not a big deal, but it happens.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

@abacus

THANKS!!

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.