Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Run 'N Gun competitions – fitness test and motivation

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Tactical Fitness Run 'N Gun competitions – fitness test and motivation

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave37 dave37 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

Back in August 2001, a dozen or so shooters assembled on a ranch about an hour drive off the pavement north of Toyah, Texas (NW of Pecos, Texas) for the first ever Run ‘N Gun competition. The idea was conceived by a couple of Marines and a couple of their shootin’ buddies on a drive back from a service rifle match in New Mexico. I was friends with one of those old jarheads, so I got talked into being one of the guinea-pigs for that first event… 17 years later, I have met some of the best folks a guy could ever hope to know, and this has turned into a fast-growing national sport! A LARGE percentage of the MVT guys I’ve trained with have been run-n-gunners – the philosophy and mindset seem to be more than compatible.

Check it out. Chances are pretty good that there’s a Run ‘N Gun somewhere in your area… or there will be soon.

http://www.pecosrunandgun.com/howitstarted.shtml

http://www.recoilweb.com/what-are-run-and-gun-competitions-140905.html

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/9/21/pecos-run-n-gun-puts-shooters-gear-to-the-test/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=insider&utm_campaign=0918

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

I did the Carolina RnG a couple months back. I met some good people. It’s good to always have something physical on the horizon to train for.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of GreenTip
    GreenTip
    Participant

I did a local RNG in February. Great fun. One big obstacle course with shooting stages.

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

I did the Carolina RnG a couple months back. I met some good people. It’s good to always have something physical on the horizon to train for.

yes is was a fun and very physical going to do again next year

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Keeper
    Participant

2019 Carolina Run and Gun – 3k, 5k, 8k Biathlon is back for next year 22 June 2019. a great way to put you self and your gear to the test.

A great way to get the word out about MVT

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Profile photo of Dave37
    dave37
    Participant

I will second what shooter says about Run n Gun. I actually came to the sport through an MVT class (thanks Jim Tom!).

I will also add that it is a great way to test out your gear. I ran the Pawnee Run n Gun last January right before MVT Texas 2018, and had both a rifle scope and a holster fail during the run. Much better that it fail during the race than a class I drove 7 hours to take.

For those in the middle of the country, there are four RnG matches a year held in Pawnee, OK; two daytime matches ( okrunngun.com) and two night matches (Twilight Run n Gun on Facebook). I ran the Twilight event last night under night vision.

Texas CTT/Mobility 2017, Missouri 1 Day CQB 2017, Texas HEAT 2 2018

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I ran the Twilight event last night under night vision.

How was the SOR? I saw your IG post pre-run.

Keeper
    Participant

Max,
    Are we going to see your name on the sponsors list this year?
    I am sure that the people who attend will wear theirs MVT shirts & gear and spread the good word about MVT.
    I know I did last year along with two others that went. This going to great way to test my SOR chest rig.

Profile photo of Dave37
    dave37
    Participant

I ran the Twilight event last night under night vision.

How was the SOR? I saw your IG post pre-run.

NOT ENOUGH VELCRO!!!! WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO PUT MY HILARIOUS/EDGY MORALE PATCHES?!??!

All kidding aside,the SOR did really well. It was comfortable over a jacket, fit tight enough that it didn’t flop or make any noise, and retained the mags. My only difficulty was that I couldn’t reach the buckles to fasten it on and had to get a buddy to do it, but I guess that’s just one more reason not to be porch snipin’ lone wolf.

Texas CTT/Mobility 2017, Missouri 1 Day CQB 2017, Texas HEAT 2 2018

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.