Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Sig P320 vs Glock?

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Sig P320 vs Glock?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of First Sergeant First Sergeant 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Ive owned both although i have more trigger time on the glock, i was being a dumbass awhile back and traded them in towards a couple 1911s which turned out to be a mistake overall, its not that the 1911 is a bad weapon but i prefer higher capacity, less recoil,cheaper ammo and i like being able to swap parts without fitting them. so now im kicking myself in the ass and chalking itall up as a “learning experience”. The Sig has the better trigger,steel sights,steel guide rod and imo a better grip angle but the glock is lighter, has a little less muzzle flip and parts are more available at this point (maybe not such a big thing here soon considering sigs momentum). Overall how have Sig p320s held up at MVT classes? Im only wanting to get one plus a couple spares then stockpiling parts. Im leaning towards the Sig but im not sure yet, any advice on selecting one? Im looking for a serious use pistol not a range toy, collectible or cool guy firearm but im having a hard time deciding on this even having already owned both before.

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

Which one gives you a more natural point
    of aim?

If equal, which one feels more comfortable in your hand?

Holster & mag carrier availability for your battle belt?

CCW holster & mag carrier
    -see 1st Sergeant

farmer

RonW

Profile photo of Support Side
    ffhounddog
    Participant

I traded for the Sig P320 I have and then I bought mags. With how much support gear is for the Sig P320c I sent it to my mom to try and I am still carrying a Glock the most. Most people I know carry a Glock and so does my wife. My best friend is a M&P guy buy he is also a lefty and said if the Glock 19M was out he would change but he is going Sig P320c because of the reason the Unit is getting a bunch of custom Sig P320c for a deployment gun. I decided not to get one because then that would be another platform to support and I am already at over 100 Glock 17/19 mags and only 5 9mm Glocks. My 4 platforms that I like to shoot are the M9, Glock 19, HK VP9, and the P2000v3. I have three Glock 19s, three M9s, two VP9s, and 3 P2000v3.

I decided to not to have another platform unless I get one with a Safety that I can train with but I do prefer the VP9 and Glock 19 to the Sig P320. I just do not like how fat the Sig is but others can make it work for them. It does fit nice.

I am going to say what I told my dad. Get the one you can shoot well and you fill comfortable carrying. For me its a Glock for others its a Sig, HK, Beretta, 1911, it all varies with how you fill.

Support Side. Not flattering but better than weak side.

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Well i shoot them about the same to be honest, can the Sig handle abuse as well as a glock? I only put 6-800 rounds through my last one so i never did get a chance to push its limits. If its close to as reliable and durable as a glock then i will probly just get the Sig again but if not i dont have a problem getting another g19 and putting diffrent sights and trigger on it.

Profile photo of Dmitriy
    dg
    Participant

Slightly off-topic, but hopefully useful:

Sig makes air versions of their guns.

At the moment, because of the Army’s recent choice, P320 is all the rage, but I got a P250 air gun when it was available (and 320 was not yet).
    It’s a training tool for me, to complement to my “real” P320RX.
    The trigger pull, weight, shape and overall feeling is as realistic as it can be, except it shoots pellets not real bullets.
    P250 is of course hammer-fired, whereas P320 is striker-fired, but that was the only option half a year ago.

In about 3.5 months of daily dry fire with it, I wore out the trigger spring. The Sig tech support guy was speechless for a couple of seconds and then said he’d never heard about this type of failure in their air guns. I don’t know why he was surprised: 20,000 “shots” can wear out any spring, IMHO.

The tech support and warranty are second to none: I did not wait more than a few seconds to talk to a live person when I called their phone line, and they paid for shipping and fixed the airgun on warranty, all free to me.

My point is:
    It’s an awesome training tool, and it costs roughly $100.
    You can get it directly from Sig store or from Amazon (and save a few $$): the warranty applies regardless of where you buy it from.

Dmitriy G.
    CRS/NF Nov 2016; CTT/Mobility May 2017

"We must never allow the low standards of others, nor their incessant quest for mediocrity and marginal adequacy to limit our climb toward excellence." -- Gabe Suarez

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Do you think Sig p320 parts and mags will be easier to get since they got the military contract? Or will that even effect civie sales at all? Parts and mags are a little hard to come by and really spendy compared to glock.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Just my personal taste, having shot a friend’s P320, I thought the trigger was totally weird. It was like no other pistol I’ve ever fired. I only put about 2 mags through it, slow fire, but wasn’t impressed by it. It’s a very personal thing though, so YMMV.

Profile photo of Dmitriy
    dg
    Participant

I really don’t want to sound like a Sig advertiser or salesman, but I will share my personal view:

Currently, Sig store has an extended 21-round magazine for a P320 : https://www.sigsauer.com/store/magazines.html?model=109&magazine_capacity=820
    Although I think it is better to get it from Cabelas ($10+ cheaper).

The parts list for P320 in Sig store currently spans 4 pages.

I shot my P320 RX (with pre-installed red dot sight) many times.
    Availability of holsters was a problem half a year ago, but not anymore.

I personally like its trigger.

If the damn thing wasn’t so huge, P320 RX would replace my current EDC in a heartbeat, that’s how much I like this pistol.
    I am considering saving to buy its Compact version. If I do, it will definitely have a red-dot sight on it.

Dmitriy G.
    CRS/NF Nov 2016; CTT/Mobility May 2017

"We must never allow the low standards of others, nor their incessant quest for mediocrity and marginal adequacy to limit our climb toward excellence." -- Gabe Suarez

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

I haven’t seen any 320’s at class yet so I can’t give you any info in that regard.

You need to figure out which one shoots better for you.

A couple of things about SIG. The company we know today is no where near the company of years ago. If you can find a West German SIG, those guns were done right. The N.H. Sig’s, meh. They have had their share of QC issues. As far as parts and mags being available because of the military contract, who knows. That could go either way.

Let’s talk about Glock and their so called perfection. Glock has figured out how to sell pistols. I could write a very long post about that, maybe another day.

Let’s talk about the issues that exist with Glock that they either refuse to acknowledge or do their damndest to make sure never sees the light of day.

We could talk about the problems with the Gen 4 pistols when they came out. Or we could talk about the issues with the 43 when they came out. Never heard about those did you? What about the BTF(brass to face) problems that a of of Glock shooters experience.

Glocks standard response to any issue is “you’re limp wristing the pistol”.

One of the first things that people serious about shooting and training learn is that they have to change out the extractor. The reason why is Glocks tend to throw brass everywhere, sometimes they just dribble out and sometimes it throws the brass back in your face. Then they want a better trigger. The slide stop(Glock doesn’t call it a slide release) needs to be changed to an extended one to better facilitate combat reloads. The OEM one sucks for that.

How many of you know about the extraction test for a pistol?

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

First Sergeant, please explain the extraction test.

farmer

RonW

First Sergeant

So what happened? Did I piss in everybody’s cornflakes and nobody want’s to participate anymore?

Couple more things to consider in reference to the 320. It has just been adopted. Looking back at recent history of adopting new small arms, this thing is going to have some teething problems when it gets fielded. That is also going to affect parts. Can Sig keep up with the contract demands and with civilian sales. Who knows?

farmer

Load a magazine with 10 rounds, put the magazine in the pistol and chamber a round. Then remove the magazine. Fire the pistol. Make notes of where the brass goes. Does it eject where it should? Does it go all over the place or does it fall down the empty mag well. Do this 10 times.

If it does anything other than eject the brass where it should go, The extractor is bad. Glock has an updated one. I will get the part number and list it here.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Who Cheerios did you piss in? I read what was said and it made sense so i didn’t feel the the need to respond. It seems like there’s alot better polymer pistols out there then a stock glock but glocks got the aftermarket support to build it anywway you want. I’ve had a couple of the issues that you mentioned thats why i dont run my glocks stock.

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

By using the slide stop/release for putting your weapon into battery your loosing 1/4″ of spring. Basically short stroking. So your loosing almost 10% of your spring tension. Rack it and go.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

By using the slide stop/release for putting your weapon into battery your loosing 1/4″ of spring. Basically short stroking. So your loosing almost 10% of your spring tension. Rack it and go.

The other issue with using the slide-lock as a slide release on a Glock is the possibility of rounding down the very small little corner, thereby effectively rendering the slide-lock as unusable. Only seen it twice and both were rental guns with an unknown count of use.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

JohnnyMac
    Participant

@roadkill Releasing the slide stop is quantitatively the most efficient way to execute a reload. Can a sweaty thumb slip on glock’s little slide stop, you bet. Anything is possible when millions of rounds go through hundreds of thousands of weapons, but I’ve never experienced or seen failure to battery directly due to the use of the slide stop.

@wheelsee If any of my slide stops get that worn away from shooting and dry fire, I’m going to ask for an award. I’ve seen slide stops fail to engage when using weak ammo.

Roadkill
    Participant

I prefer the complex motor skill of the slide rack rather than the fine motor skill of hitting the small button. The small flat of the Glock is poor for releasing. People will install the extended release, but then with the thumb forward position I’ve seen the slide drop on an empty chamber because of the thumb pressure. All in all time wise it’s milliseconds difference in time. I don’t really care either way. Train what works for you and become very proficient with your weapon as long as it’s not some weirdo mall ninja thing that trades compitance with safety.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

First Sergeant responded:

“Load a magazine with 10 rounds, put the magazine in the pistol and chamber a round. Then remove the magazine. Fire the pistol. Make notes of where the brass goes. Does it eject where it should? Does it go all over the place or does it fall down the empty mag well. Do this 10 times.

If it does anything other than eject the brass where it should go, The extractor is bad. Glock has an updated one. I will get the part number and list it here.”

I, farmer, performed an extractor test on 2 Glock 19’s.

Gen 3 Gen 1

Shot # Distance Position Shot # Distance Position

1 3′ 3 O’Clock – 1 6′ 5 O’Clock
    2 3′ 4:30 – 2 1′ 12 *
    3 8 1/2′ 6 – 3 6 1/2′ 4
    4 4 1/2′ 5 – 4 10′ 5:30
    5 8′ 5:45 – 5 6 3/4′ 5
    6 7′ 6 – 6 1 1/2′ 12:30 *
    7 6 3/4′ 6 – 7 4 1/2′ 3:30
    8 5 1/4′ 5:30 – 8 at my feet **
    9 8′ 6 – 9 5′ 1
    10 4′ 6 – 10 3 1/2′ 3

* I believe dropped thru magwell
    ** I observed dropping thru magwell

farmer

RonW

First Sergeant

@jwf – It would be great if I could read everyone’s mind, but I can’t. So a response, whether it be OK or a fuck you would be nice.

@roadkill – If hitting the slide release on a pistol under stress is so hard, then there is no way that anyone should be able to rotate the safety on an AR to fire or hit the bolt release on an AR. Those are both so called “fine motor skills”. It comes down to training.

Using the slide release, there is less chance of short stroking the slide and causing a malfunction or riding the slide which can cause a FTB. I have watched people attempt to run the slide and did exactly that on numerous occasions.

Using the slide release is faster than racking the slide. It is a hell of a lot easier to use it if you have to do one handed reloads also.

Glock is one of the only, if not the only company that calls it a slide stop instead of a slide release. And makes it so damn small. That’s one of the reasons that there are after market parts for it.

I used to do the same and overhand rack the slide during a reload. Until I spent some dedicated time on reloads. That’s when I figured out the hitting the slide release is more efficient.

There is a Defensive Concealed Handgun class in June. Come try it out.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

First Sergeant

Your Post

If I am reading that right, the Gen 3 performed better than the Gen 1. The Gen3 Is mostly consistent. If you are not having any BTF or empty’s going down the mag well, I wouldn’t change anything right now. But you need to keep any eye on it. Got your logbook yet?

I don’t know if these parts will fix the Gen1.

This list of parts for pistols that have issues are as follows: Apex Extractor, their extractor depressor spring, the non-LCI bearing and a Glock 30274 4th Gen ejector.

Most of the issues that I know about are with the Gen3 pistols and some of the Gen4 pistols.

The Gen 1 may just be worn out. Any idea how many rounds have been fired through either pistol?

Speaking of that, how many of you keep a logbook for each of your rifles and pistols?

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Speaking of that, how many of you keep a logbook for each of your rifles and pistols?

I admit I am lazy and only keep logs for my serious use firearms. ;-)

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

@jwf – It would be great if I could read everyone’s mind, but I can’t. So a response, whether it be OK or a fuck you would be nice.

@roadkill – If hitting the slide release on a pistol under stress is so hard, then there is no way that anyone should be able to rotate the safety on an AR to fire or hit the bolt release on an AR. Those are both so called “fine motor skills”. It comes down to training.

Using the slide release, there is less chance of short stroking the slide and causing a malfunction or riding the slide which can cause a FTB. I have watched people attempt to run the slide and did exactly that on numerous occasions.

Using the slide release is faster than racking the slide. It is a hell of a lot easier to use it if you have to do one handed reloads also.

Glock is one of the only, if not the only company that calls it a slide stop instead of a slide release. And makes it so damn small. That’s one of the reasons that there are after market parts for it.

I used to do the same and overhand rack the slide during a reload. Until I spent some dedicated time on reloads. That’s when I figured out the hitting the slide release is more efficient.

There is a Defensive Concealed Handgun class in June. Come try it out.

Lol fair enough, what’s your preference when it comes to handguns?

First Sergeant

I admit I am lazy and only keep logs for my serious use firearms. ;-)

Same here. But it was great intro to logbooks. I am going to do a post specifically on that. Just curious about the answers.

Lol fair enough, what’s your preference when it comes to handguns?

I use a HK P30L and a P30SK. It works for me and I prefer hammer fired guns. I started with Colt 1911’s so that has some influence.

I have other pistols for different things. It depends on how I have to dress or whether I am going into a NPE.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Roadkill
    Participant

Another thing with Glocks. Replace the plastic sights with good iron sights. If you have an injured hand or a stuck case and have to use the rear sight as a purchase point to rack, you don’t want that plastic sight flying off to parts unknown. Trijicons are fine.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

What’s an NPE? A couple days ago i tried a vp9 (which is just a striker fired version of the p30,right?) i think im gonna consider that one too .ive decided against Glock after taking everything into consideration but now im stuck deciding between these two, Any common issues with the vp9? For people that have tried both extensively, how do they compare overall? I didnt shoot very much through the vp9 …maybe 100 or so rounds and i put a little more through the p320 but both were comfortable althouth i can slow fire the Sig more accurate but i seemed to transition from target to target faster with the VP9. Im pretty sure with a couple thousand rounds through either one i would be gtg , the only thing that i see as an advantage so far is the Sig comes with one mag (thats what my old one came with at least) while the HK comes with 3.

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

@ First Sergeant-working on the logbooks,

@- jwf NPE=Non Permissive Environment

farmer

RonW

Profile photo of Support Side
    ffhounddog
    Participant

What’s an NPE? A couple days ago i tried a vp9 (which is just a striker fired version of the p30,right?) i think im gonna consider that one too .ive decided against Glock after taking everything into consideration but now im stuck deciding between these two, Any common issues with the vp9? For people that have tried both extensively, how do they compare overall? I didnt shoot very much through the vp9 …maybe 100 or so rounds and i put a little more through the p320 but both were comfortable althouth i can slow fire the Sig more accurate but i seemed to transition from target to target faster with the VP9. Im pretty sure with a couple thousand rounds through either one i would be gtg , the only thing that i see as an advantage so far is the Sig comes with one mag (thats what my old one came with at least) while the HK comes with 3.

Well lets see I have two VP9’s and I have been using them constantly since I got them. I actually transitioned back to Glock for my Class and I do normally carry a Glock 19. I honsestly could go all in on the VP series and be happy. I moved from the P2000 to the VP9 for my everyday non work carry for a long while. If I did not like the P2000v3 so much I would order two VP9sk’s but then my glocks would never be carried or shot. If I could rock one system if I was going to be a Police officer it would be a VP9 with a VPsk as backup or a Glock 17/22 with a Glock 26/27 as backup. Since I do not know if we are losing a mission I have at my agency I am moving away from the Glock 23 but right now I carry a M9 and a M4 day in and day out so I am fine with that.

I have had zero issues out of 5000 rounds with the VP9. I have one with 10-8 rear and 10-8 fiber front and the other has three dot mepros. I have a P30v1 as well and use to have three P30s. I cannot say any negatives about the HK series from a user standpoints.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Support Side. Not flattering but better than weak side.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

@firstsergeant

I keep a logbook. I have one micro marble copybook that I use, sorted by date, not weapon. The only time I don’t use it is when I’m shooting with someone (I get side tracked).

I can’t tell you how valuable it is being able to look back at hits/misses and split times on various drills.

First Sergeant

Another thing with Glocks. Replace the plastic sights with good iron sights. If you have an injured hand or a stuck case and have to use the rear sight as a purchase point to rack, you don’t want that plastic sight flying off to parts unknown. Trijicons are fine.

That is a must do on a Glock.

A NPE is a Non Permissive Environment. Someplace that you really can’t be busted carrying a gun. For whatever reason.

The VP9 is the striker version of the P30. Uses the same mags. I know guys who have the VP9 and no issues. Read the post above for another recommendation for it. With the small, medium and large backstraps and side panels, you can customize the grip to fit you. The model you looked at is the LE model, that’s why it comes with three 15 round mags. Standard model comes with 2 mags. The only thing that needs to be changed is the rear site.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.