Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Skydiving License

Home Forums The Lounge Skydiving License

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wheelsee wheelsee 2 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Has anyone gained an A-class (or higher) skydiving license? …or know someone who has?

I’m interested in picking someone’s brain.

Profile photo of Polynikes
    Polynikes
    Participant

I did, although it was a while ago. Ping me if you want and I’ll share my experience.
    George

Edited by First Sergeant

George G. (the Greek) from PA

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

I did, although it was a while ago. Ping me if you want and I’ll share my experience.
    George

Edited by First Sergeant

I took your number off of the post you made. anybody can see it.

Didn’t want you to end up with a bunch of crap.

Send him an IM.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I have a lot of civilian skydiving experience. Long time ago. Not sure what the A class is. I qualified in the UK but also jumped in the US and was a member of the USPA.

Had my own rigs, packed them myself, all that. It’s fun but expensive. Beteeen packing and getting in manifests you would probaby get about 4 jumps per day.

I would advise against it. It’s another money hole of needing the gear and wanting the best cool guy stuff.

Probably more regulations such as your rig has a cypress safety opening device that needs checking and calibrating.

I had a number of friends badly injured. Usually comes down to performing low hook turns on rigs that are too small, misjudging and hitting sideways. Of course I also broke my back parachuting, but not skydiving.

Profile photo of Polynikes
    Polynikes
    Participant

Exactly what Max said. If you think you’re getting somewhat of a military application here, you are not. However, it’s extremely fun and addictive if you get hooked. As Max said, it’s also expensive and requires an extensive time commitment if you want to get better at it (just like everything else).

The certification/licensing process takes some land training (nothing too difficult) and about 10-15 training jumps to get your A license. I broke my ankle on a landing at about 150 jumps in years ago, and that was that. At that point, I had barely scratched the surface in the sport. You get pretty decent 500-600 jumps in, and are not considered “experienced” until you get to 1000 (which the guys that get serious about it get to within a couple of years easily).

Just like other things we tend to get to, there’s a whole following there with different sub-groups (oftentimes opposed to each other), gear obsession, internet forum wars, marketing, etc. Does that sound familiar?? B-)

George G. (the Greek) from PA

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

As Max said, it’s also expensive and requires an extensive time commitment if you want to get better at it

This was really my concern, the possibility of it taking up too much time and money. I’m already at 23-26 professional training days per year, plus my personal range time and other activities

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

I did skydiving in the early 90s – total of 2 jumps – $125 per jump, lasting ~ 5 minutes……I figured out real quick that scuba was $125 for 2 dives, each lasting ~ 1 hr……I stayed with scuba….,

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Wheelsee, I had five jumps, kind of wanted to continue; my wife wanted nothing to do with it. Started SCUBA a few months later. We’ve been diving together since around 1990. Still do. My daughter lives on Maui. Great diving. I live in Michigan. Diving is cold and black. Still love both types. Once you have your gear air fills are pretty cheap. Skydiving is always expensive. I also do some salvage diving which helps pay for things. For a guy like Johnny Mac he could probably get hooked up with a Sheriffs rescue dive team. Johnny that may be right up your alley.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Skydiving?

Scuba diving?

Why not both! ;-)

Allowing for sufficient time between to avoid complications depending on altitude/depth of operations etc…

Expense isn’t normally the issue once you own your gear for both, time is another problem, and the main reason I no longer jump.

Of course if your the kind of person that always needs the latest greatest gear, then get rich first.

I would rather die with my ideals intact, than be victorious by becoming all that I oppose!

This why I can never be truly defeated!

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Skydiving?

Scuba diving?

Why not both! ;-)

Allowing for sufficient time between to avoid complications depending on altitude/depth of operations etc…

Yep, you could sky dive, then go scuba but I wouldn’t recommend the reverse (if ya don’t know, it’s got something to do with physics…. Boyle’s Law to be exact)

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.