Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Snacksidents and the First Step to Better Nutrition

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Training Nutrition Snacksidents and the First Step to Better Nutrition

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Michael Lautenschleger Snowman 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Do You Have Chronic Snacksidents?

Written By Cat Blatner

Are you having a hard time losing weight? Maybe you have been struggling to rid yourself of those last few pounds and you are convinced that your diet is perfectly on point. It’s time to really evaluate your caloric intake and make sure you aren’t having a snacksident problem.

Snack-si-dent
    noun

An unfortunate snack that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in extra junk in the trunk or other areas of soft adipose tissue accumulation.

It happens to the best of us, you’re cooking something for dinner and you take a little taste of it here or there. Little by little these small “tastes” become big problems! Over the course of a week you could be taking in hundreds or even thousands of extra calories just by picking on these foods throughout your day.

Hold yourself accountable for everything that you eat! If you are truly having a hard time ridding yourself of the last 2-5lbs, it could be that you are taking in small accumulations of unnecessary calories that aren’t beneficial for a fuel source but simply your tasting pleasure.

To solve this issue it might be time for a reality check. Track EVERYTHING you eat in some sort of tracking app. Whether it is My Fitness Pal or another nutrition app, it’s time to hold yourself accountable for everything you are choosing to eat. Even the small snacks that seem harmless or just a “taste”. After 1-2 weeks of tracking what most people find is that the small taste is actually an extra 100-200 calories every time and adds a significant amount of excess calories every single day.

Don’t choose to ignore the small stuff. Weight loss does take a tremendous amount of discipline and honest self evaluation. If you are having a hard time losing a smaller amount of weight, it might be time to evaluate your small habits!

Now, the first step to truly understanding where you stand with your current nutrition (before you work on making changes) is to track your diet…every single thing.

Some quick tips:

Use An App

There are lots of apps out there that will help you track your current diet, just pick one that looks good to you. You might want to check out MyFitnessPal. I haven’t used it, but I like that it tracks the macronutrients for you. You can also keep it low tech by just using a notebook, it’s just going to be a bit more work when it comes to tallying stuff up when it’s all over. You’re also going to be more likely to forget to write stuff down. Give an app a try, and if it’s too much hassle or doesn’t have the food you eat as options, go old school.

An app can make it easy

Don’t Change…Yet

It’s really important for you to continue to eat like you normally would during this initial step. If you make uncharacteristically healthy choices or make a decision to avoid something you would normally scarf down like a hungry bullfrog, it’s going to give you an inaccurate picture of you’re current intake.

If you're this guy, keep doing your thing.

Start to learn portions

Using an app will force you to figure out how much quantity you’re really eating. “Did I just eat 4 oz or 8 oz?” This is going to pay dividends long term because you’ll actually have a clue when you look at your plate. This is a skill, so you have to work at it. Here are a few reads on learning to estimation portions:

How Much? Portions 101
    12 Easy Ways to Estimate Servings

How Long?

You might be wondering how long you should log your current diet. I would suggest doing it for a minimum of 1 week, but longer if you’re still learning to estimate portions or aren’t ready to develop/implement a new nutrition strategy.

Make it happen

Yes, it takes a bit of work and dedication, but let’s be real, if you can’t manage this- you don’t stand much of a chance in actually changing your nutrition. I would encourage you to give this a try if you’re interested in losing weight or improving performance. After you’ve done some tracking, I would encourage you to come back and share your experience here.

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Great advice! I use the Myfitness pal app and it makes it really easy to track what I eat. I was using the app for about a year and went from 225 down to 215 during my first year of crossfit. I stopped using for about 6 months and even though I thought I was eating healthy I gained back 13 pounds even though I was doing the same amount of exercise. After starting to use it again, I’ve lost about 8 pounds in the last 4 months.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of RonW
    farmer
    Participant

JohnnyMac, you couldn’t have waited till AFTER Thanksgiving for this ? ?

J/K. It is actually good timing.

Thanks for the tips.

RonW

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

:good: thanks for the tips and info JohnnyMac! good stuff

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

@johnnymac Good article.

One thing to consider is whether your perceived hunger is really thirst. A large portion of America is chronically dehydrated. An easy monitor is the color of your urine – clear to light-yellow?? good. The darker it is, the more concentrated, meaning not enough water in the body for the kidneys to let it go.

https://fit.webmd.com/kids/food/article/hunger-check

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

I dropped 40 lbs. in 4 months about 7 years ago now. All I did outside of my normal stuff was count calories and drastically reduce them.

A person needs 13 calories per lb. of body weight to maintain.

I.e, 180 lbs. X 13 = 2,340 If I don’t take in any more than that I will maintain- not lose, not gain.

If you subtract 500 calories a day from your number, you will lose 1 lb. a week.

If you subtract 1,000 calories a day from your number, you will lose 2 lbs. per week.

I found this to be pretty damn true.

It’s also a good way to figure out how your body operates in a calorie deficient state. There were many a days where by 4pm when we went for a run I had maybe 800 calories for the day or less.

None of this accounts for what you may burn from exercise. It’s all just simple math and it works.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Michael Lautenschleger
    Snowman
    Participant

A digital kitchen scale is helpful sometimes. They are only about $10 in stores.

Central Ohio

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.