Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Spare Parts-How to carry them

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Spare Parts-How to carry them

This topic contains 25 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Idaho Cajun idahocajun 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

I can’t remember who asked me this question or when. But the question was how I carried the spare parts that I keep on hand for my rifle.

The spares that I recommend are these:

Spare complete BCG for each AR you own.
    Spare complete LPK for each AR you own.

These spares need to be carried in your patrol pack with you. If you are out and something breaks you are not going to be able to call a “time out” while you run back home and get your spare rifle.

I carry mine in a flare shipping tube. The BCG has been lightly oiled and then vacuum sealed. The LPK has also been vacuum sealed. Everything is then placed in the flare shipping tube. This keeps everything together, it’s protected from the elements and the springs are protected from getting bent.

This is just a way to do it.

Pics are attached.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Barry Subelsky
    Sam Brady
    Participant

Guys,
    This little tid bit of knowledge is “money” and the exact reason this forum is gold.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Can I get an amen!

For the AK users- you can usually stick a spare firing pin in the onboard cleaning kit that goes in the trapdoor butt stock. Although in 30 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds, I’ve never seen one of either type break.

A complete bolt head is easy to carry in the pack, like 1stSgt said.

If you have the little trapdoor pistol grip for the AR, you can carry some spare parts in there also. The “BG grip” for the AK allows that, but the grip itself is a total POS. Mine snapped off within a thousand rounds. It’s also a crazy hex head connection (something else to carry in field). Wherein the standard pistol grip is a straight head, and if you have a magazine you have a straight head driver (where the magazine locks in).

A rifle with a broken part is a club- PLAN ACCORDINGLY.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I assume that second best would be to carry a spare complete bolt with firing pin etc. Which I what I have always done in the pistol grip; along with springs and other stuff.

In your opinion, does the entire BCG break enough to warrant the weight in your pack?

Profile photo of BamBam
    bambam
    Participant

Thoughts on best milspec BCG options? Colt would be ideal but hard to find without a heavy mark up these days. Have heard the fancier nickle boron BCGs have had some issues. Thanks to 1stSgt for this important reminder. Worth the weight IMO.

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

I’ve actually run this BCG – probably have a few thousand rounds through that gun. Great for a backup at $89

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Palmetto carries the machine gun bcg. They seem pretty solid.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

First Sergeant

I assume that second best would be to carry a spare complete bolt with firing pin etc. Which I what I have always done in the pistol grip; along with springs and other stuff.

In your opinion, does the entire BCG break enough to warrant the weight in your pack?

Very rarely does a bolt carrier break, unless the gas key is not properly staked to begin with or something gets inside of the gas key and you end up with a bolt action AR.

If something happens to your bolt i.e. the lugs shear off, the bolt breaks or the extractor breaks or the cam pin shears off or something happens to your firing pin, you have to take out the BCG, remove the firing pin retaining pin, remove the cam pin, remove the bolt and replace with the new bolt, replace cam pin, replace firing pin and then replace the firing pin retaining pin. All of this while someone may be trying to kill your ass.

With a complete BCG all I have to do is slide the broken one out of the rifle and slide the new one in and I am back in faster than it took to write this.

That’s why I carry a complete BCG. The weight is negligible. If the weight of a complete BCG makes your patrol pack to heavy, you have other issues.

Thoughts on best milspec BCG options? Colt would be ideal but hard to find without a heavy mark up these days. Have heard the fancier nickle boron BCGs have had some issues. Thanks to 1stSgt for this important reminder. Worth the weight IMO.

What’s a heavy mark up? A Colt BCG will run you about $200.00, and it’s worth every single penny. How much money is your life worth? I know the QA/QC on it will be what it is supposed to be, not what I wish it to be or how the company manipulated the advertising for their parts to make it seem like they are good.

And the carrier you see in the picture is a LMT. The bolt, firing pin, cam pin and firing pin retaining pin are all Colt. The LPK in the pictures is Colt.

I have some LPK’s from PSA. I have found no issues with them.

The only issue I have with carrying spares in the pistol grip insert is that Murphy has a vote. What if for some reason the insert decides it doesn’t want to be there anymore and says “see ya, I’m out”? You go to reach for it when you need it and it ain’t there. Now what? And it’s not really protected from the elements.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

First Sergeant

Guys,
    This little tid bit of knowledge is “money” and the exact reason this forum is gold.

Sam, thanks. Coming from you, that means a lot.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I searched and searched for a Colt BCG and couldn’t find one. However, I layed my Colt BCG next to my Bravo Company BCG and the staking looked equal. I ordered another Bravo BCG to stash in my pack.

Just in case however, as I have a Yankee Machine BCG that has zero staking that I can see; I ordered a staking tool set from Brownells for $70. There might be a bunch of friends with poorly staked BCGS in the future that I can help out.

Thanks for the heads up 1st Sgt

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Any ideas on where to find the flare tubes? Thanks in advance

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Any ideas on where to find the flare tubes? Thanks in advance

Got mine off e-bay…… they come, they go fast….just keep an eye out for.

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

Close approximation would be a PVC pipe with caps. Couple bucks at the hardware store.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Darkrivers
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

First Sergeant

When you see the flare tubes, grab them. They don’t sty around long.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Darkrivers
    Participant

I’ll be watching for them. That’s a great idea for parts storage. What do you use for a field expedient cleaning kit?

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

What do you use for a field expedient cleaning kit?

I keep a bore snake in the hollow pistol grip

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

First Sergeant

I’ll be watching for them. That’s a great idea for parts storage. What do you use for a field expedient cleaning kit?

What I have used for years is a bore snake, toothbrush out of a military cleaning kit, shaving brush and a rag from an old cut up cotton t-shirt.

I have always carried cleaning rods in my patrol pack. But I haven’t used them for cleaning in years. Even when still on AD.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Darkrivers
    Participant

Great info. Thank you.

Darkrivers
    Participant

I just located a source for the flare shipping tubes. There is a seller on eBay named deerjager that has 8 or so for about $10 each. They will sell fast and are hard to find. I got some and they seemed to be in good condition.

First Sergeant

Bumping this as it became a topic of conversation at HEAT1 this past weekend.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

Did a malfunctions night with my training group this week and can vouch for also having a multitool or quality knife at the ready for nasty (mostly bolt-override) situations. Amazing how many malfunctions were self-induced or made worse by slapping the mag (SPORTS) too. Also had situations where the bolt was totally gummed up with primer granules from busted primer. Would have been nice to have an extra BCG at the ready for this.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

There are 4 flare tubes on ebay from a seller named militarydepotga. About $33.

ETA: eBay item number:253395499537
    Also, I just realized the seller is in GA, but I have no monetary interest. I just bought one set.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Got em too on ebay. thanks for the tip First Sergeant!

CRCD/CP April 2014, CP August 2014, RC1,
    CTT/CP June/July 2015, Run n Gun/CQB/FoF 2016, DA Georgia 2017, DCH Georgia 2018

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

There are 4 flare tubes on ebay from a seller named militarydepotga. About $33.

ETA: eBay item number:253395499537
    Also, I just realized the seller is in GA, but I have no monetary interest. I just bought one set.

Bought those myself recently. Can attest what I received was accurate and in good condition.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Idaho Cajun
    idahocajun
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up, just placed an order on eBay!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.