Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Spare Parts

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First SergeantFirst Sergeant

At the last HEAT1 class a student had an issue with his extractor.

The first sign of a problem was an extracted case staying on the bolt face. That happened once and the rifle continued to function without issue.

Later on it started doing double feeds. He would fire a round, get a double feed, conduct a malfunction drill, fire a round and start the whole process over again. The double feed was the fired round staying on the bolt face and trying to pick up a new round when the bolt cycled.

He had a spare extractor, so it was replaced and the rifle functioned without issue the rest of the class.

Examining the extractor that caused the issues, there was nothing noticeable. The spring and insert looked good. But the spring had failed. It did not have a high round count.

This was on Friday, on Thursday I had given my talk about cleaning, lubrication and what spare parts that I recommend to have on hand.

While replacing the extractor the student realized why I recommend a spare BCG for each AR you own. That would have been a lot faster to get the rifle running again. At the least if he would have had a spare bolt, that would have been quicker than having to disassemble the entire BCG to replace the extractor.

This the the second extractor to go bad in two different HEAT1 classes, both with low round counts. Not a trend, just an observation that things can break when you least expect it to.

Keep spare parts on hand.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of wheelseewheelsee
    Participant

:mail: :good:

What is your recommended list??

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of MikeMike
    Participant

Bolt assembly, cam pin, firing pin, cotter pin. The latter 3 items I’ve seen people loose when cleaning.

Profile photo of arealcorkerarealcorker
    Participant

most ar-15’s from the factory are slightly over gassed to be able to function with a variety of ammo at different pressures. Manufactures know that even though they will void warranties if people use cheap steel case ammo people do it anyway because of the price. So in order to eliminate allot of headache they just run the ports a bit bigger. Typically .062-065 on a 16″ carbine. I have seen them from .067-.080″. The downside to doing this is extreme wear on the extractor and bolt as it bears the brunt of the immediate pressure to unlock. The weakest link to fail first is the spring. I recommend tossing most factory springs and putting in a extra power spring with the high temp rubber donut. Found at brownells. This is the best solution to extend the life of your extractor and reliability of the gun.

Profile photo of JustARandomGuyJustARandomGuy
    Participant

An anecdote to add to the original post:
    I bought a rifle once that had a bad extractor (and a warped barrel) straight from the factory. It was not a cheap rifle either, but a well regarded brand.
    Luckily the company had great CS and after changing the barrel and having the case-smashing double-feeds continue, straight up sent me a whole new bolt.
    But I’d honestly never given a thought to spare parts before then.
    After seeing first hand evidence of “anything can fail”, I put more attention into having an “escalating level of broken” level of spare parts on hand.

The other thing that is annoying is watching people go out and spend good money on a high quality rifle so they can be reasonably sure of it’s reliability…. and then they go out and buy craptastic bargain-basement off-brand, or no-name parts for spares.
    WTF? :wacko: :scratch:
    A truly great way to turn a high quality, well functioning rifle into a nonfuctioning chunk of metal…

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of First SergeantFirst Sergeant

:mail: :good:

What is your recommended list??

Spare Parts-How to carry them

The weakest link to fail first is the spring. I recommend tossing most factory springs and putting in a extra power spring with the high temp rubber donut. Found at brownells. This is the best solution to extend the life of your extractor and reliability of the gun.

The first failure was a BCM with the rubber O-ring. It did nothing.

I stopped using them long ago.

If you want to make sure you have the current standard, the spring should be copper colored with a black insert.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.