Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Streak visual ammunition

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Streak visual ammunition

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RampantRaptor
    rampantraptor
    Participant

Has anyone else here heard about this?

STREAK Visual Ammunition – Nonflammable “Tracers”

It’s called Streak and apparently it uses phosphors at the ass end of the bullet to effectively create a cold tracer round that’s only visible to the target. So far they’re only offering pistol calibers but they’re saying they plan to introduce more calibers in time. Sounds pretty neat, count me interested once they have 5.56.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

I read an article about it. I am interested to see how well it does.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Didn’t the SMAW training round have something like that?

Hey F. S. have you seen the series “The Fighting Season” the reason I ask is because a platoon of the 10th was out in some tree line and the Taliban started up on them and you could see the tracers going right by the guys and they did not look green in the daylight. I thought Combloc tracers were distinctly green or something.

rampantraptor
    Participant

Hey F. S. have you seen the series “The Fighting Season” the reason I ask is because a platoon of the 10th was out in some tree line and the Taliban started up on them and you could see the tracers going right by the guys and they did not look green in the daylight. I thought Combloc tracers were distinctly green or something.

I don’t recall my AK tracers lighting up green in Syria, no, just the standard yellowish-orange.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Ok that makes sense that is what I seen on the video. Actually for all the video I have seen of AfPak that is the first where I actually saw rounds impacting and flying by the soldiers.

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

I have been on the receiving end of both colors.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

I think this is an interesting concept but honestly if I’m shooting at it I don’t care if I set it on fire. That’s a bonus in my book!

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…if I’m shooting at it I don’t care if I set it on fire. That’s a bonus in my book!

Sometimes, but there are always exceptions! ;-)

Know your AO.

rampantraptor
    Participant

Just an update, so far Streak ammo has only been pistol-caliber but now they’re planning to release rifle-caliber ammo to open up government contracts.

AMMO, Inc. Expanding Product Offering to Meet Demands of Large Military Channel

…Which is what I had been interested in from the start, but good to hear now.

I think this is an interesting concept but honestly if I’m shooting at it I don’t care if I set it on fire. That’s a bonus in my book!

Setting things on fire is actually the reason why a number of states have banned tracers outright, so besides the ability to trace without lighting up the local woods those of us in ban states can actually utilize some kind of tracer with Streak.

#RaqqaSummer2017
    - - -
    Jîn, Jiyan, Azadî

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

…if I’m shooting at it I don’t care if I set it on fire. That’s a bonus in my book!

Sometimes, but there are always exceptions! ;-)

Know your AO.

so all those house were burned up by tracers??

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

so all those house were burned up by tracers??

No!

Big fires all started small for the most part. Depending on conditions it can be a bigger problem than expected.

Consider the effect when Fire Departments are not available.

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Sometimes in the fire service the last resort is protecting exposures. It stops things like the great Chicago Fire. I’ve seen vinyl siding melted from 50 feet away where if we didn’t cool things down we would loose an entire block of homes. Similar to the picture.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

Sometimes in the fire service the last resort is protecting exposures. It stops things like the great Chicago Fire. I’ve seen vinyl siding melted from 50 feet away where if we didn’t cool things down we would loose an entire block of homes. Similar to the picture.

Yep on sliding on mine melted just burning a small pile of yard waste near by. Next house will be brick and metal roof( no chance of a tracer catching my house on fire)

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Last time I shot tracers I didn’t catch anything on fire.

Me either, however the conditions in Afghanistan aren’t comprehensive. ;-)

I am certainly not saying no one can ever use tracers, but a common sense evaluation of conditions is called for.

Here are a few examples from many incidents.

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

One of the fires from last summer out here is the SW was started by a chucklehead from Border Patrol playing with tanrrite off duty. It was kinda a big deal. I don’t know if it was him, but somebody or something set the back of the mountain on fire last year.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Last time I shot tracers I didn’t catch anything on fire.

Just because your’s hasn’t doesn’t mean it can’t/won’t….. all a matter of odds. And as Joe said, are you going to have the firefighting resources to deal with potential consequences??

This was from Dallas, a quick spread…. and yes, tracers are banned from many ranges here.
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/news/2013/02/25/smoke-engulfs-love-field-area-gun-range-after-ammunition-catches-fire

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Just to clarify, I am not trying to be some safety Nazi! ;-)

I have a lot of experience using tracers, they have legitimate purpose and use.

Just recommending some rational precautions and judgement on when and where to use them.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Just to clarify, I am not trying to be some safety Nazi! ;-)

I have a lot of experience using tracers, they have legitimate purpose and use.

Just recommending some rational precautions and judgement on when and where to use them.

The problem though is many don’t know what they don’t know. Like who thought it was a good idea to shoot tracers into a pile of ground rubber (backstop) at the DFW Gun Club?? The same people who think its cool to shoot fireworks when we haven’t seen rain for 3 months, temperatures in the 100’s and bright sunshiny days; even when there are firework bans 2/2 “Extreme HIGh Fire Danger”…..and the FD is busy fighting grass/wildland fires.

:good:

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Common sense, isn’t so common these days!

I like to think most here are different.

There is plenty of you don’t know, what you don’t know to go around.

We try our best to change that. ;-)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.