Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Student Review: Active Shooter CCW May 2016: Batsoff

Home Forums Class Reviews Student Review: Active Shooter CCW May 2016: Batsoff

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of batsoff batsoff 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of batsoff
    batsoff
    Participant

Company: Max Velocity Tactical
    Course: Active Shooter CCW
    Instructor: First Sergeant (Scott)
    Dates: May 21st – 22nd
    Website: http://www.maxvelocitytactical.com/tactical-training/tactical-classes/active-shooter-ccw/

I had the privilege to attend MVT’s Active Shooter CCW class and I wanted to share my experience and takeaways. There are already a few AARs published on this course so I won’t go into what we did on each day. First Sergeant (Scott) was the instructor for this class.

For those of us within traveling distance of MVT, we truly are fortunate in the sense that we have such training available to us locally. Having been through several schools for pistol and carbine classes, I’m continuously impressed with MVT’s class offerings. Max and Team continue to fine tune their class content, there is constant evolution with MVT’s offerings.

Balance:
    I enjoyed the balance of drills and shooting that we did in this class. Not every drill was done “on the clock” or at full speed. We often were able to dial it back, learn the technique, and then start to apply it in a real world scenario. Once confidence was gained, we were then afforded the opportunity to improve reaction and shot times. We conducted drills where the focus was on speed, and then there were drills where accuracy was the primary focus. Recognize that the end goal is to be proficient in both speed and accuracy.

Malfunction Drills:
    I hate them… but I love them. Having taking several classes, I’m always amazed at the number of firearms that don’t run well during class. Whether or not it’s out of spec components (ammo, magazines) or user error, there are always a few unreliable firearms in a class. Knowing the types of different malfunctions and how to clear them is one of the primary skills that can keep you in the fight.

We spent quite a bit of time on malfunction drills and for good reason. Scott was extremely thorough with these drills, using only my weak hand was a challenge, it was something I had never practiced before.

Mindset:

THREAT!!! …and just like that, the wolf has decided it’s your turn. You didn’t ask for it, you don’t want it, but here you are, and suddenly it’s “go time.”

If you are making the decision to carry concealed, then you need to get it straight in your head what you are prepared to do when the wolf comes for you. Know yourself, and know what you are willing to sacrifice (or not sacrifice). Have it straight in your head why you carry. Is it just for your protection? Your family’s protection? If there’s an active shooter event, are you getting involved? Even if your family is there? Understand what your limits are and what your conscious will allow you to do so you aren’t caught on the X trying to figure it out at the last moment, by then it’ll be too late.

Think through different scenarios and how you would react. Watch, learn, and become a student of societal interactions. Just watch the local news and see who the nightly victims are… what characteristics did they display that makes the wolf think they are easy prey? Are you easy prey? Sure about that?

It might not even matter, you might just have really bad luck… wrong place, wrong time. Either way, the wolf is here, now what are YOU going to do about it?

Note to self: Wolves travel in packs. Most of the time, there is more than one, don’t get lulled into thinking there is only a single threat. Criminals are not dumb, they are looking to ensure their success just as much are you are looking to guarantee yours. Be observant. Scan.

Active Shooter Scenario Drills:
    This was another 1st for me, these drills were great because they utilized everything that we had worked on into the drill. These were thinking drills where you had to assess the situation, find cover, identify the active shooter, identify the innocent bystanders, and then take the appropriate action.

Did you clearly assess the situation? Can you take a shot? Can you make the shot? Offhand? Not sure? Then what? Don’t blue screen, figure it out.

Night Shoot:
    Another 1st for me and another eye opener given the lighting conditions we were under. Scott reviewed a handful of techniques for utilizing a light with a firearm (both weapon mounted and handheld). We were able to utilize these techniques through dusk and into dark to get a feel for which technique was preferable (what works for me, may not work for you).

None of these techniques are a one size fits all solution. We practiced all the techniques, then ran drills using the techniques that we preferred. Some of them just come naturally, others will definitely take some practice manipulating hands, light, and weapon.

We also ran a few drills in the dark with just the blinkers from a car flashing in the background. Another eye opening experience, trying to identifying the target and get sight alignment when you can only see the target for a second before it disappears into the darkness, then reappears on the next blink. Dealing with a moving target under such conditions would be very difficult.

The blinkers and low/no light conditions were a great teaching tool as many of us spend a ton of time in vehicles, and the chances of being stuck on the side of the road or assisting someone with a flat in the dark with just the headlights or blinkers for light is very realistic.

Back to my original statement regarding training at MVT, there aren’t many schools that will teach this to civilians or create this atmosphere to train in. It was a great opportunity to get this training and begin to figure out what my preferred methods for managing a handheld light and pistol will be.

And lastly… Thanks to all that attended to make it a great weekend. The weather wasn’t the best, the malfunction drills sucked (not really), and the oldest man in the class kicked a bunch of young guys’ asses, but it was still a great time and credit goes to Scott and my fellow students for making it a great class.

Note to self: Don’t mess with old people. They can be great shots!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.