Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Student Review: Combat Leader Course (CLC) October 2018: Tango

Home Forums Class Reviews Student Review: Combat Leader Course (CLC) October 2018: Tango

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of stuck_case_rod stuck_case_rod 20 hours, 26 minutes ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of stuck_case_rod
    stuck_case_rod
    Participant

Nice review, Tango.

It was well worth the time and money for my wife and I to haul our gear out to WV for this class. The simple calculus for me is that 13 complete missions multiplied by 13 serious teammates multiplied by 2 hawkeye instructors equals 100s of opportunities to learn from our mistakes without having to die.

Priceless.

Rare.

Fun.

Thanks to everyone that made it possible: cadre, classmates, and opfor.

Profile photo of RobRoy
    RobRoy
    Participant

Great review

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

:good: :good:

Good information here, not just what happened but thoughts, plans, ideas…….

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

“This was the first time I have witnessed a full squad employ radios effectively. We were able to use radios multiple times to enhance our effectiveness.”

As mentioned in the AAR what were the predominant model of radios used and how?

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

stuck_case_rod
    Participant

The Mrs and I ran ICOM t70a* with TCI Liberator headset and PTT. We have had excellent experiences using this compact, light weight, and very durable set up. Seemed like most others had a Baofeng. There was a primary and secondary simplex frequency given in the brief. Usually only the squad leader and team leaders used the radio, or a radio operator was assigned to a leader if he wanted one. I agree with Tango that when used the radios were a significant force multiplier. It was fun to see Max twice berate teams for moving randomly during the Mrs’ mission as squad leader…until she told him that she was ordering them to do so on the radio. Although she isn’t loud of voice, she was still able to effectively lead the squad, because of the radios.

* A little bird told me that today’s algorithms have a tougher time with analyzing unencrypted analog than encrypted digital. Low-power, big-accent, heavy-slang, brief transmissions can be a real bitch.

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

“This was the first time I have witnessed a full squad employ radios effectively. We were able to use radios multiple times to enhance our effectiveness.”

There were a mix of Baofeng models, Icom, yaesu, etc. Nothing you haven’t seen before.

The annoying thing about radios is all their shitty little connectors, wires, antennas, and settings that make everything work together properly. That stuff needs to be sorted out BEFORE coming to class – which it was apparent these students did. I would recommend a mod to UV-5R variants which I may do a short thread about.

Because of the lack of time for radio experimentation available we just kept it to simplex with TX/RX on a single freq. It’s about the easiest way to make 4-5 different radio brands talk to each other on the fly. Functionally this means 2 people can talk over each other on the same freq. Not ideal, and one of the areas for potential improvement.

However radios are portioned out across the team, make sure information still makes it to everyone participating. Don’t lose your voice just because you have a radio. Another area for improvement.

ALWAYS HAVE A NO-COMM COMM PLAN

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

Profile photo of Wild Bill
    wildbill
    Participant

With military grade comms out of the question looking for quality equipment that can take abuse and has the ability to not be intercepted by cheap everyone has one Walmart radios.

If not out of the box ready maybe something that can be modified.

Western North Carolina ― LRMC-1 Sept. 2017, CQBC May 2017, DCH March 2017, RS & CTT October. 2016, CTT 1511, LN 1

“We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.” ― Archilochos

“I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence..." - Gandhi

Profile photo of tango
    tango
    Participant

With military grade comms out of the question looking for quality equipment that can take abuse and has the ability to not be intercepted by cheap everyone has one Walmart radios.

If not out of the box ready maybe something that can be modified.

My opinion would be:
    Have the cheap radios
    Learn how to use them well.
    Don’t spend a bunch of money.
    Then once you have yourself and other people that understand the value and level of training required for radios – then spend the money.

Farmers in man jammies have use low tech and cheap radios fighting US forces successfully for the last 40 years. Spend more time figuring out how to be effective rather than how to be sneaky.

Baptême du feu
    L'appel du vide

stuck_case_rod
    Participant

…quality equipment that can take abuse…

With similar requirements to yours, as I mentioned above, we selected the ICOM T70a. In addition to being essentially bomb-proof, they are also remarkably small and light weight.

Available new for $180.

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/0070.html

…has the ability to not be intercepted by cheap everyone has one Walmart radios.

Universal Radio will “open them up” for a small fee, or I am told that you can DIY with a soldering iron. Being analog and having a low-power option of 0.5 watts also makes them relatively difficult to “intercept.”

I would recommend having Universal Radio also send you the AA battery packs, and a good whip antenna to replace the rubber duck.

Also, speaking of quality equipment that can take abuse, consider getting a solar panel like the Brunton Solaris 26 (no longer made) and a NiteCore I4 battery charger, as shown in my attached photo. With just this set up hanging on the back of our rucks or in camp, we can charge AA, AAA, and cr123, which covers our radios, headsets, NVG, and WML.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.