Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Stupid Camping Anecdotes

Home Forums The Lounge Stupid Camping Anecdotes

This topic contains 14 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.) Joe (G.W.N.S.) 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

So, wife tells me we are going tent camping down to Natural Bridge this weekend. I’m sitting under a ‘walmart special’ shade canopy as I write this. She’s back at Walmart buying more supplies and replacement inflatable matresses after ours didn’t hold air last night.

Anyway, so much for ‘bugging out’. Will walmart be available? Any idea of the logistics train per day for a family of 6, with kids 10 and under? Fantasy.

So, Friday I pull out the massive family tent that we have not used since 10 years ago in Cuyamaca park in CA. It’s a ‘California tent.’ At Cuyamaca, it poured with rain the whole time! Anyway, I thought it was massive. I recall a queen inflatable each side with a huge gap in between. Well, that was ‘British thinking’ at the time. This tent is tiny! 6 of us! It’s basically filled with inflatable mattresses.

So we never got out Friday, the logistics got ahead of us, so we packed and left early Saturday. So much for bugging out after the event etc…..and who has the time or energy to be ready for a bug out at any moment?

So yesterday, an initial rainstorm caught us by surprise. Of course it did, the tent is cursed! After battening down the hatches, later in the afternoon a storm front came through. Big wind gusts in advance of heavy rain. I am guying down the tent, kids are inside, wife is watching the red approach us on the weather app.

So recently up in Culpeper some storms had ‘microbursts’ which tore down trees. Not sure if they were not actually twisters, and we get weather warnings for tornados.

So kids are in the tent, rain and wind, I’m under the awning with wife keeping an eye out. Bear in mind she is from Texas. Suddenly we hear the sound of a freight train approaching. That’s what a tornado sounds like, right? She’s tuned to this and turns to me, and I’m “get the kids in the car!”.

Well, no tornado. Sorry to disappoint. Instead, we drive to walmart in the rain storm to get more stuff.

Later that night, sitting around the fire, we hear a train. Other side of the river: freight train line!

But did I poop a little when I heard that ‘twister’ bearing down on my family in our little tent? Sure did!

Moral: stay at home.

:good:

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Sorry for laughing…….

As kids, we viewed these as adventures……now in our older age, we listen to Pops relate what was “actually happening” (very similar to your description)…….. but as KIDS, we enjoyed it all…..ahhhh youthful ignorance and bliss!! And we still laugh, though Pops just shakes his head and mumbles….how did the kids take it??

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Winston
    winston
    Participant

Had virtually the same event occur to my young family of six back in 2000. We were actually pretty good at camping as a family, but it helped that we lived in Navy housing and had a couple of neighbor families that always went with us. Kids and adults had fun.
    Anyway, what ended our family camping days was a similar rainburst that produced a lightning bolt that not only split the tree in the middle of our campsite, but burnt holes in the floor of the tent all the kids were inside.
    My adult children speak fondly of our camping days, but sadly, none of them ever wanted to go back after that. :(

Yes, yes. I know my way around MVT.

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Yeah, 4 kids under ten :wacko: camping sounds mind boggling

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Any idea of the logistics train per day for a family of 6, with kids 10 and under?

Been there, done that!

Yea to the uninitiated it requires as much planning as forward deploying a small military unit. :yes:

As someone who has always taken preparedness seriously, a large number of young children represent a true nightmare scenario for a bugout.

While Max’s “fantasy” is a bit too negative (not by too much though), the vast majority are far too optimistic (and are living a fantasy).

Of course even most solo bugout types have never even done a simply multi-day hiking trip, much less realistically planned a legitimate contingency. :unsure:

These are the same people who have never carried their gear further than their car, yet plan the “Batman in the boondocks” option! :wacko:

My kids remember camping fondly and ultimately was worth it, but it was a sacrifice for their sake on my part. A lot of work and stress to pull off successfully.

Enjoy the stress of these family adventures, looking back at it the time really flies by fast. :good:

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

As @wheelsee said…sorry for laughing, but that was good. And I’m laughing with you not at you, there’s five of us but mine are all 12 years old (yes triplets). It can be a real pain in the ass just to get everyone rounded up and out the damn door most days, much less go full on camping………there’s a lot of crap to take, and forget (hence the running to Walmart I assume). But, as long as they have a fun experience, and hopefully learn something too….it’s worth it!
    @joe said it best, time really flies…..

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Who said anything about giving up?

I will say this: irony is often lost in this country. Also what is lost is the art of self-depreciating humor.

I can go in about that, but it’s too much typing. I will say that many have had a shock with either me or my wife by ‘mistaking politeness for weakness.’

Now, that isn’t in a class setting, but I will often be very polite, even self depreciatingly feign ignorance, or reference mynown stupidity. And then you watch. Due to culture, many will take you at your self depreciating word, or feel they can take advantage of you.

I will save the tomato / tomato thing for another day.

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I know you well enough to not take the story as weakness or think I can take advantage of you.

The problem with typing on the ‘net is that anything I type loses intonation and non verbal cues that I rely on to communicate.
    (After all I speak the King’s English and Elvis was from Tennessee)

I enjoyed the story as it reminded me of when my kids were young and I had similar experiences that are priceless in more ways than one.

I meant it to come out as an encouraging remark, kinda like a cheer from the sideline.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

Been there, done that. I understand the context and the struggle. Irony, self deprecating humor and admitting ones own mistakes to me is a sign of strength and maturity. I always look deeper when I hear someone speak this way. The nuance of a person who communicates this way reveals to me there is much more below the surface that is worth my time and effort to discover. Keep being real my friend.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Good thing you were in a tent and not a trailer. Trailers are tornado magnets. There’s a bright side to everything, even if it’s kind of dim.

Profile photo of Abacus
    Abacus
    Participant

It took me two hours to get the fire going when I took my kid on their first camping trip as a toddler. My wife had a church thing to lead, so I was by my self.

Everytime I had the firelay ready and started the tinder the little one would sprint 15 feet off into darkness before tripping on a rock, or similar protrusion and eating it. I would then have to go retrieve them and calm them down leaving my tinder to burn up and be wasted. I got good at processing firewood with one eye on the task at hand and the other on the child though.

Fatherhood has taught me more about prepositioning “stocks” and other habits of the logistically switched on than the military ever did.

A portion of the typos in the above message might be my phone, the rest are just me.

I have been wrong before...

Profile photo of Trailman
    trailman
    Participant

Been there done that camping since I was 4, rain, flooding, how the F is it 40 degrees in western Md in the middle of august and we only brought T shirts. As a kid dad put his feet through the screen on the pup tent. Remember the times. I look back and they were great. Once we put out a budding forest fire on the Allegheny previous using the minnow bucket from the boat. :good: :good: :good:

CRM, CTT 1501, CP11/15, CTT5/16, FoF, DCH, CLC Opfor, Team Minion

Just remember, Anne Frank was a criminal because the government made her one and she died because she broke the law.

Profile photo of A_A_Ron2guns
    A_A_Ron2guns
    Participant

Lol that’s about like every camping trip I remember!

I came home on leave from Afghanistan and the first thing my brother said to me was “we’re going camping tomorrow.”

I almost punched him. Instead I told/screamed that I’d been camping for the last 6 months.

That first day home I bought an M4 clone, 500 rounds of ammo, a Walmart tent and we drove up to northern Arizona. I had a blast with my friends and family but I was not super happy about sleeping in a tent my first night back!

The rest of leave got better though.

You are what you do, when it counts. -The Masao

Not the other Aaron's in this industry!

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…Afghanistan…

…I’d been camping for the last 6 months.

Thats funny! :-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.