Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Survey: How did you find MVT?

Home Forums Information & Intelligence Survey: How did you find MVT?

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jaydieseljaydiesel
    Participant

1) How you heard about MVT, via what means? 2013 Alex Jones Show then Read patriot dawn and followed website, blog since.

2) What persauded you that the forum was worth joining? wanted to get more info on what to bring to class

3) If you have attended training, what persauded you to action that, and what was your ‘lead time’ to actually show up at a class? Persuaded by British accent, book, blog. I took a crappy carbine class with a fudd and saw the difference in class syllabus. It took me 3 years to move from a commie state, buy the gear and get the money for ammo. And I had to warm up the wife to coming along.

4) Anything else you think useful or relvant to MVT and how we can spread the word. Reputation, etc. For me it was taking a class and getting something different. As you say, “you dont know, what you dont know”. I think its about getting people over the gear and fear hump although I dont know how to do that.

Profile photo of gaz13fGhoenig
    Participant

1) Heard about it from my shooting buddy George. We take classes together and challenge each other.
    2) Watching the youtube vids and hearing Georges feedback on classes and understanding how you were different from most other instructors
    3) Taking my first MVT HEAT class in April
    4) Continue to focus on what you focus. Few mall ninjas can shoot well, and have physical stamina. You are unique in that you demand both. Too many shooters can’t walk up a flight of stairs let alone charge a hill. Your classes attract those people and that’s who I want to know. You may already offer this but consider helping alum connect outside of training. Other than that, just do what you are doing.

Profile photo of Short StrokeShort Stroke
    Participant

1) How you heard about MVT, via what means?
    I found your fiction books on Amazon, read them, and then bought Contact, all in spring 2014.

2) What persauded you that the forum was worth joining?
    I joined the forum because 1) I had been to a class at that point and knew that MVT was legit, 2) I saw the quality writing coming out of the blog, and 3) I saw that Scott and non-cadre folks with experience were active and very helpful historically.

3) If you have attended training, what persauded you to action that, and what was your ‘lead time’ to actually show up at a class?
    It took almost two years from getting the books to then getting to class. I recall a blog post on the site motivating me to just register and get going. A post in which Max motivated through shame. I had no serious prior training, and I had also learned that that didn’t matter at MVT (for the intro courses).

4) Anything else you think useful or relvant to MVT and how we can spread the word. Reputation, etc.
    I believe that presenting MVT as a place where SOF train but also where civilians train should be very effective. That, and clearly distinguishing the outfit as nothing to do with militias, as you’ve already done. A couple of interviews could potentially go a long way, too. It can’t hurt to inquire with not only some of the lesser-known personalities that others have named, but also with popular ones that attract hundreds of thousands of listeners. I am thinking of shows like Ben Shapiro’s. Possibly not what you’re interested in, but the audiences are huge, if you can get on for a 5-10 interview someday.

Danny from VA

Profile photo of arealcorkerarealcorker
    Participant

I found your website doing a search on the interweb for tactical training. Ordered your book “contact”. Did more research and also read your articles on survival blog and took his recommendation for your classes. I quickly found out that you were the only one in the country teaching this. It took me over a year to save and plan for your classes. I did the Idaho 17′ ctt/mobility. Found out about your forum and quickly joined after the class. Still currently saving and planning on attending more. I also hope you do not cancel the Tx classes. But I you have to do what you have to do. Thanks for all you do! :bye:

Profile photo of Tom Sonegunshort
    Participant

Youtube videos were the start. Then I found several blog posts. Then I started looking at your courses but couldn’t afford them at the time.

The $25 fee. It keeps the riffraff out and only the dedicated will pay it. Therefore, the content will be better that that found on public forums. Many of them ban this sort of discussion.

3) If you have attended training, what persauded you to action that, and what was your ‘lead time’ to actually show up at a class?

I started training in 1999. I got my first handgun in 1997. I was “stuck” for two years and wanted to improve. I googled for gun training and found Firearms, Research and Instruction. I attended his Level 2 course and my view of firearms forever changed. I thought the Texas State CHP class was good at the time…but it really was box checking. I aced the shooting portion by only dropping two points and shooting 48 rounds in one 4” hole. FRI took me from there to speed shooting in two hours. I was hooked.

4) Anything else you think useful or relvant to MVT and how we can spread the word. Reputation, etc.

Your subject matter is verboten to most gun owners, trainers and sportsmen. Shooting clay disks with a $5,000-$30,000 shotgun is perceived as more important. The key is baby steps through basic one and two day classes on the weekends. Introduce concepts there such that exposure over time generates more business.

I can barely get “preppers” to attend FPF Training to learn proper handgun skills. It took six months of cajoling and their sucky shooting to get them to ONE DAY of class. So many others stuck around for two days but won’t repeat. Still others ACTIVELY REFUSE to train…several of which have stated that they are worried they may not agree with the instructor.

My recommedation to you is to follow John Murphy’s model at FPF Training. He built his niche, ran his classes without regard for what others were doing and then increased his exposure. Maybe ask him to let you run your two day rifle and/or pistol as a guest instructor. Do your own MVT thing but introduce only baby steps in these classes to gauge interest.

Next, get yourself invited to the Rangemaster Tactical Conference, NRA Carry Guard conference and any other that will take you. Build up some excellent presentations and do the MVT Hookers and Beer Roadshow (basic rifle and pistol). Go to the facilities where the big names go…the locations are posted on their schedules. These ranges are already open to tactical classes. Start attending classes with the big name instructors (keep your mouth shut and let them teach, but make friendly contact). Ayoob, Givens, Southnarc, etc. Learn their material, be friendly and make friends.

This will take awhile to build. The key is to make yourself a goto guy for your specialty while providing BASIC courses…gateway drug and all that.

Invite Michael Bane to your course. Seriously…he has ridiculous reach and he may put you on his show.

I hope this helps.

Just to be clear: YOU ARE AT SHOT. DROP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GIVE MICHAEL BANE YOUR PROPAGANDA AND CONTACT INFO. Stalk him if you have to!

COMP him HEAT 1 and the Leadership class. Give him ammo…etc…whatever it takes to get him to Romney, WV.

DUH…I shoulda thought of this earlier.

Profile photo of GreenTipGreenTip
    Participant

Great idea. I bet he would attend and talk about it on his podcast. Maybe do a promo on his tv show.

Profile photo of RobRob
    Participant

Found the site looking for ways to set up a fighting load. Keep coming back and joined the forum because of the great content and hanging around with like minded folks. Have not yet attended a class because I’m an old fat fuck. I’ve had one shoulder surgery and two knee surgeries, the last one three weeks ago. I’m also 50 lbs lighter and off some of the meds I was a year ago because of your constant drum beating on PT. Thank you. I will get to class, probably in 19. The square range classes I’m taking are pretty repetitive. My circle of friends are all gun people, but really don’t seem interested in the tactical movement and skills that you teach. Guess they’ll be porch snipers. As far as reaching more folks, talking about gear and gear setup, then demonstrating why the setup makes sense in a your training scenarios would generate a lot of views on YouTube. Even old fat people like to buy and play with gear, and like me, may be motivated to get into good enough shape to run around the hollers in WV. Thanks to all here for the knowledge and motivation.

Profile photo of PinkyPinky
    Participant

Back in maybe 2013 I read a review about Contact!, picked it up, did a bit of research on Max, signed up for a class in fall of 2013.

$25 is pretty cheap for the wealth of information available. Further, it acts as a barrier to keep those with nothing to gain/lose out (reference ar15.com or similar – lots of morons that can post stuff without a paid membership).

3) If you have attended training, what persuaded you to action that, and what was your ‘lead time’ to actually show up at a class?

I signed up about halfway through Contact! after deciding that “this is relevant to my needs in life.”

I had some training with both rifles and handguns, but looking at what was MVT’s very rudimentary web site (2013), it was obvious that flat range training did not simulate real-life scenarios and this is what was needed to get real value from training.

4) Anything else you think useful or relevant to MVT and how we can spread the word. Reputation, etc.

I don’t remember the events leading up to it, but the reason I saw Contact! was either one or more book reviews online. I know Max is working on another book, so I’d push that as much as possible. I don’t read “gun magazines” but sure see a lot at the grocery store. Any chance of getting a profile or something done there? I have seen Pat Mac’s mug in more than one of them and that is only from leafing through them in the store every once in a while.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of ChanceChance
    Participant

1) A friend turned me onto Mosby last year. He referenced you a few times in his blog posts so I started reading your blogs and watching your YouTube videos a few months ago.

2) I thought you had relevant material that wasn’t full of false bravado. Everything seemed well thought out and purposeful with none of the tacticool crap you tend to see in the rest of the industry. I figured even if I didn’t even get on the forum I owed you at least $25 for the info I got from your blogs and YouTube videos.

3) I haven’t attended a class yet but I plan to attend at least HEAT 1 if not 2 as well later this year. I can’t attend the May class because I already made work commitments prior to seeing the schedule.

4) I think reputation is key and I think yours it pretty solid. If people keep sharing your blog posts and YouTube vids I think your core group will continue to grow. Take the last sentence with a grain of salt. We hired an ad agency for the company I help run because we were horrible at marketing.

Thanks for everything your doing and I’m looking forward to training with you.

Profile photo of zeerfzeerf
    Participant

searched online for AR-15 training after moving to VA 2015. Saw your blog or something that was not the training first…then saw the training then saw the books. Ordered all the books read contact and booked 1st hand gun class to get a feel for how things went…hooked and the rest is history.

2) What persuaded you that the forum was worth joining?
    $25 is pretty cheap for the wealth of information available and to meet and communicate with others. I like the filter :) and if you are not getting 25 bucks worth of knowledge from here a year you are doing something wrong.

3) If you have attended training, what persuaded you to action that, and what was your ‘lead time’ to actually show up at a class?

I knew I had a ton to learn. I wanted to dive right into the AR training but I also wanted to start carrying all day everyday so more pistol work/training was a must in my mind. Lead time was only a few months.

4) Anything else you think useful or relevant to MVT and how we can spread the word. Reputation, etc.
    I have tried and continue to try and spread the word. I am met with many creative excuses and start to wonder if I am just not a good salesman/cheerleader :unsure: so I keep at it and hope to have luck this year.

Profile photo of The ProfThe Prof
    Participant

Got interested in reading survivalist novels, partly as bedtime reading and partly because some of them have good ideas (cf. Matthew Bracken for the latter). Amazon, I think, kicked up Patriot Dawn as one of those “you might like these” choices. Found out that the guy who wrote it ran training. Did a little internet research and discovered that he did really amazing training, in fact–stuff that looked like maybe it was for people who were serious about learning to fight. Then found out that he was only about 3 hours away, and thought, hm…maybe I could actually do this!

And did.

2) What persuaded you that the forum was worth joining?

Listening to Max and First Sergeant talk/teach/cuss. :) Watching Max and First Sergeant live out what they teach.

Hard to say. See #1. I was attracted by the obvious serious, “grownup” nature of the training–it wasn’t weekend warrior crap or square range gunplaying–nothing particularly wrong with either one, but I did not, and would not, trust them to save my life, or to teach me really important things. (Having trained with Max et al., I have to say that one of the things I’ve learned is that, sans the presence of trained, experienced, tough-minded friends, I’m probably going to have a lot of trouble preserving my life in a combat situation!–but that’s no excuse for not learning the stuff oneself so that one can at least hope to be ONE of the trained, experienced, tough-minded friends, should others present themselves.)

Reputation’s important. I have told a lot of people about you, and praised your training and your cadre to the skies. Almost none have come to train with me, pleading expense or time. Both are legitimate pleas–it IS expensive, and it does take a lot of time, especially if one does anything like adequate PT beforehand, and the cold fact is that most people don’t really have the time, at least not given their priorities now). The fact that there is not, at the moment, an obvious, clear-and-present threat to freedom from the man in the White House has lulled ‘way too many people into thinking that they can slack off in this regard–that’s foolish, but it’s also the way it is.

You can’t do much about the expense. It’s so costly that I cannot train nearly as much as I’d like to (and I have a pretty decent job and a salary that’s above the national median). But when I think of the value of the training I’m getting–decades of combined combat and other experience, plus a lot of other wisdom that I could not otherwise gain, such as First Sergeant’s remarks about SmartWool socks, which have changed the way I dress my feet–thanks, Scott! :) ), then I think that the training is a ridiculous bargain for the price at which it’s offered. And y’all have to earn a living just like all the rest of us.

So I don’t know. Keep doing what you’re doing, I guess. Please don’t hope for another traitor in the White House, because although that might help MVT recruit, it sure isn’t good for the country!–but a negative change in that would probably help you, all the same.

I do think maybe that the TacGun thing might be helpful. Modern people–especially maybe modern men–like to play, so presenting this as a sort of game might attract more people. Maybe.

Most people just don’t think that they will ever need these skills. And maybe they won’t. Maybe they will, too, though, and in any case…every red-blooded male, and a few red-blooded females :) , should take this training. It ought to be a required prerequisite for being issued a Man Card. :)

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.