Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Tactical Enthusiast

This topic contains 59 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dmitriy dg 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I’m looking for a new term to describe ourselves here at MVT, and others that we may attract. I touched on this in the ‘This Forum’ thread.

I am looking for self-descriptive terms to shape the narrative when you are describing who you are and what you do. We already came up with ‘Rationalist.’ Do you use that?

Or are you just doing the same old shit and getting no better results?

So what about replacing prepper/survivalist/gun nut or whatever you currently use with Tactical Enthusiast?

Can anyone think of a better descriptor of who we are? Name it. Bring it.

Profile photo of WTL
    veritas556
    Participant

When I hear “Enthusiast” I hear “hobbyist”. Why run from “patriot”? Just because the media has made that a pejorative?

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

We already came up with ‘Rationalist.’ Do you use that?

Anyone who pays attention to my writing here knows I use it regularly, but I also use it when discussing preparedness with people. It has a preemptive quality to prevent visions of “militia preppers” IMHO. Used in conjunction with news and personal experience it has been received well.

So what about replacing prepper/survivalist/gun nut or whatever you currently use with Tactical Enthusiast?

My initial reaction is it has a “hobby” quality to it. I have no better descriptor at this time.

It does occur to me that maybe that isn’t as negative as it may first appear to those of us that take this as serious preparation.

Assuming the quality of training isn’t lowered.

Would it be so bad that some were taking courses at MVT for the “experience” vice any expectation to actually use it for real?

Taking MVT courses for the physical and mental challenge?

The possible end result being more people trained, increased revenue, leading to more infrastructure, and better training for all.

Is there a downside to that?

Is there a market for realistic high quality training for those that at this time don’t see a practical need?

Any thoughts?

Max
    Keymaster

I am not saying Tactical Enthusiast is the final answer. We need ideas.

But Patriot? Hell no! What does that even mean anymore? And with all the ‘Patriot’ groups ouy there. It misses the intent. It should also be an apolitical term that describes an activity.

Patriot from the dictionary:

A person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion.

A person who regards himself or herself as a defender, especially of individual rights, against presumed interference by the federal government.

Thw second being the politicsed version of ‘The Right’ to which you refer. But the first, the actual definition, how does that accord with the second? How do the two meet up given all our conversations here about the state of the nation and Liberty – it is because of that very state that many of us prepare and train.

So I want something to describe an acrivity, a hobby, a way of life very much as prepping does, without the connotations. If the media has ruined something, there is no point banging youe head against the wall over it. Last time I saw you at Force on Force, you were having a very gay old time. See my point?

Max
    Keymaster

Joe: your response was posted as I was writing my previous. I don’t see such a negative to the hobbyist aspect. I could describe myself as a professional soldier or a tactical professional. If every alumni started saying they were a tactical expert it lacks humility and does not go down with others well.

So the subject of SUT is raised at a standard shooting range. You tell them you are a tactical expert? Tell them you are something among the lines of a tactical enthusiast it is like an ‘airsofter.’ Make it innocuous. But why do you do that they say? Because it is great fun, challenging, team work, meet great people, really interesting shooting and movement way more fun than 3 gun, pop up targets, do force on force with UTMs, and last of all learn real SUT same as the professionals that I can use to protect my family.

DKWYDK until you do it and realize the value and benefits!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

If every alumni started saying they were a tactical expert it lacks humility and does not go down with others well.

Completely agree with that point regarding “expert”, it rings of false bravado.

Perhaps Tactical Student for Alumni? :unsure:

Because it is great fun, challenging, team work, meet great people, really interesting shooting and movement way more fun than 3 gun, pop up targets, do force on force with UTMs, and last of all learn real SUT same as the professionals…

Exactly!

And finally as almost a after thought.

…that I can use to protect my family.

Depending on individual reaction the practical could be expanded somewhat.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Synonyms for enthusiast
    (noun person active in interest)

addict
    admirer
    aficionado
    believer
    buff
    devotee
    fan
    fanatic
    follower
    lover
    participant
    supporter
    zealot
    bug
    bum
    eccentric
    freak
    maniac
    monomaniac
    nut
    optimist
    partisan
    rooter
    votary
    worshiper
    habitué

Just add Tactical to the synonym.

Some are quite humorous! :yes:

Though my intent is to be productive, a few laughs might help. ;-)

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Tactical Enthusiast and Tactical Student are good. Tactical Enthusiast has a nutnfancy vibe to it, but it’s broad and innocuous sounding and I think describes us all regardless of our reasons for training at MVT. Maybe Tactical Citizen, Tactical Trainee, or Tactical Realist. Kinetic Defender sounds cool but too tacticool and obscure.

Synonyms for enthusiast

Laughed at the idea of Tactical Eager Beaver.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of BrigandActual
    BrigandActual
    Participant

How about Tactical Practitioner?

It doesn’t have the “hobby” feel, nor the hubris of “expert.” It implies that it is something we work to improve upon and practice. It’s also a word closely associated with professional culture, so it lends a sense of authority.

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

Matt B - VA

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

Just throwing out random terms here: Tactical Scholar, since technically we are learning tactics and how to be warriors……….Warrior in Training (WIT) perhaps? :unsure:

~ Little - South Texas

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Just a thought, but it might be more important to describe what we do, instead of giving ourselves a name…maybe both in tandem?

In my mind, MVT is all about team tactics, for civilians…Civilian Team Tactics.

I like @brushpopper ‘s recommendation of Warrior in Training.

Max
    Keymaster

Tactical Practitioner beats Tactical Enthusiast.

The idea is to describe what we do in an innocuous hobby-like way that does not smack of doomsday or wing-nut politics.

I do not like warrior-in-training.

I do not think we have arrived at best answer yet. We need to distinguish what we do here from on the one hand the militia and on the other the pew-pew. But we want to make it attractive, so the pew-pew are not put off. It should be about the activity, which is pursuit of excellence in SUT. It should only be about politics in as much as it is about Liberty. Other than that, leave the politics out of it.

We should not be doing SUT for politics, we should be doing it for the short term benefits that it is an excellent past-time-hobby activity. The almost unspoken benefit is the skills it gives you in a collapse.

Why do goruck do it? So they can carry a military ruck? No, for the PT, teamwork and activity, which also gives them a fitness advantage in an emergency. We should push this as similar. Hence the focus initially on FoF which can be sold as grown up airsoft with real teamwork and tactics. Live fire is then for those that get the bug. There is a real sense of achievement in this training, which can be sold as the real deal, attended by SF, and not a fantasy band camp.

None of these hobby style benefits touch on politics or thoughts that our society is not safe.

Why is airsoft called airsoft? Tacsoft? Reality Tactics? Tactraining? CivTac?

Get those brains working!

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

We are MaxVelocity. We are all MaxVelocity.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Max
    Keymaster

RealTac?

Civsut?

Tacsut?

MaxTac (for Virgil……;-)

Max
    Keymaster

MaxTac is cool but brands it closer to MVT, rather than a general activity. As a busineas owner, can’t complain about that, but ia it wjat we want?

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Tactifit. We gear up, great excercise, learn tactics, commradery, have fun. You do cross fit, I do tactifit.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Max
    Keymaster

Tactifit, or tacfit, is not bad, but narrows the focus?

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

Tactical Scholar…..

Definition of scholar

1 a person who attends a school or studies under a teacher
    2 a person who has done advanced study in a special field
    3 a learned person
    4 a holder of a scholarship

“That’s all what is left?? These aren’t men, they are devils!"

Colonel Milan 30 April 1863 aftermath of the Battle of Camaron

CRCD March '14, CP May '15
    CTT Dec. '15, CTT(Idaho) '17

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I like the idea of a new word, then it gives us a blank slate in people’s minds to work from.

CivSUT sounds like the most accurate…

…. CivTac, CivTeamTac, TeamTac, TacFit, CivDef (civilian defense), TeamDef, DefTac….

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Student of violence

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of JeffSags
    JeffSags
    Participant

I’d actually suggest dropping the word tactical. It has, arguably, just as many negative connotations as prepper, militia, etc…

active civilian team training?

Civilian defensive response?

:unsure:

CRCD AUG 13, CRCD MAR 14, CP AUG 14, CR MAR 15, Shivworks ECQC, MVT RIFLEMAN, CTT AUG 16, CQBC

Profile photo of Books
    The Librarian
    Participant

Community Defense Training

Georgia - RS/CTT-8/16

Max
    Keymaster

Community Defense Training is exactly what it doesn’t want to be! I am not sute we.can’t have tac, it is after all what it is. Also: SUT – people will have no idea what that is – it has to be grasped.

Goruck basically created a name for what they so with rucking. We could do similar with maxtac. Or we could go a little more generic. Aftet all, pew pew rangers are always talking about ‘tactical’. Maybe teamtac, to capure the team element? Why designate as civilian?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

With the goal of innocuous or non-political.

TACFAN, as in Tactics Fan?

GOTTAC, as in Got Tactics?

DTAC or DoTac, as in Do Tactics?

The possible GOTAC, Go Tactical would seem too close to GORUCK and they may have the resources to litigate things they don’t like, which I am sure Max would prefer to avoid.

:unsure:

Profile photo of Groundwork
    Groundwork
    Participant

So far, I’m liking TacFit…it sounds like a personal challenge.

Max
    Keymaster

Don’t like tacfit we are not a specific fitness thing. That is a subset.

Maxtac? Teamtac?

If this is just MVT, which we found in tje past it is, after the Rifleman Challenge debacle, then why not simply MaxTac? I would live to change the industry, bit it is really just MVT, and probably always will be. Can this be pushed out into the mainstream?

Profile photo of Mike H
    Mike H
    Participant

Team TacFit ….sound in body and mind. Striving to competently operate in small tactical teams along with building a “community first” mindset.

“That’s all what is left?? These aren’t men, they are devils!"

Colonel Milan 30 April 1863 aftermath of the Battle of Camaron

CRCD March '14, CP May '15
    CTT Dec. '15, CTT(Idaho) '17

Profile photo of Tom
    xsquidgator
    Participant

“Tactifit” resonates with me… I think that’s worth exploring and using.
    I used to just tell people I was going on a “hunting trip” for these out-in-the-woods weekends. Lately, I’ve taken to describing some of these activities to people as “it’s kind like a biathalon”. “These activities” being the kinds of things that would get practiced at a Rifleman Challenge weekend.

“Tactifit” though, that’s a great term. I think I’ll start saying that and still using the “sort of like a biathalon” description. People seem less weirded out by interests in self-sufficiency, survivalist stuff, first aid etc if it has an outdoor hobby connection.

Tactifit. :good:

CTT 10-2014, CTT 1504, RnG/CQB/FoF October 2016, 2017 Georgia CTT/DA, DCH 2018.

Profile photo of Brushpopper
    Brushpopper
    Participant

I agree it’s hard not to have the word Tactical in the name…..
    For me tacfit only resonates and reminds me of Pat McNamara’s Combat Fitness program. MaxTac sounds good for a shortened version of MVT.
    I don’t know, my brain can’t think of anything good from trying to get a bunch of jobs out this week. TacTeams? Maybe Max’s Lost Boys Team Camp? :unsure:

~ Little - South Texas

Max
    Keymaster

I still don’t think we are winning. I’m going to start working with something along the lines of the way ‘3Gun’ works. Or ‘TC3’ for tactical combat casualty care. I have an idea that if we fan distill this down to what we are doing, simply, we may be able to work on a catchy shorthand.

So what do we do? Shoot move and communicate? Team tactics & leadership? T2L? Yeah, I’m in to T2L, will be going out at the weekend and doing some stuff, wanna come?

That sort of idea.

So what are the basics of what we are doing here?
    :scratch:

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.