Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Taking CQBC after an Injury. Questions

Home Forums Training: Preparation and Answers Taking CQBC after an Injury. Questions

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig) hellokitty 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I don’t have my list listed anymore but I am an MVT alumni to include Rifleman Challenge, CTT, CCC.

I have paid for CQBC on 18AUG.

On Sunday while doing PT with my Reserve Unit I strained my ankle and sprained my hamstring while doing sprints.

It’s a Grade II and and I am bruised from ass to toes (NOT from any impact).

As I am 2 classes away from being a Nurse Practitioner, I am my own primary care physician and I am awaiting an Ortho consult for rehab options.

I have read the AARs from previous CQBC attendees and it appears to be all on the square range; however, one student had a comment about “Running up and down WV mountains.”

I can already tell you that running up and down mountains is out of the picture for at least 6 months.

Depending on my progress over the next week, I should be able to take a “square range” class as long as I am cognizant of my limitations.

Also depends on what the Ortho says as orthopedics is not my specialty.

SO my questions are to those that have taken the class.
    1. Is it square range or are there WV mountains involved?
    2. Is it like most MVT classes that allows for a degree of self-pacing? (I’ll have to swallow my ego some, but I don’t mind being the “old man” of the class).
    3. Any other info about the class?
    4. I need the info to help make the decision on whether or not to take the class.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Take it easy bro. You know what to do. Getting older like me and doing the combative sports we do, it’s nice to take Glucosamine, Calcium Citrate, D3 and other joint and bone related supplements regularly.

Having been up and down the VTC hills one time with a broken toe, it’s not fun. Your in good shape so it should rehab quickly.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Profile photo of Pinky
    Pinky
    Participant

that’s a nice one! I’ll be there Duane. I can carry you if you need me to.

Pinky

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I took the previous CQB class and I’ll be taking the one next month. It’s the least physically demanding MVT class, fitness wise, that I’ve done- it’s more mental and more about really good form. With that said, there’s some “semi-fast stepping”

Days were 1 day square range, day 2/3 at the CQB site. Days 2/3 were literally in and around the huts, day 3 had some approaches across unlevel mountain terrain but only for like 25m. One approach we went a longer way, that had us creep around for a total of maybe 200m.
    I would say, there is some self pacing, but I would say there’s a caveat being that there’s a certain flow the team needs to have in order to be effective. My best advice is that if you’ll be able to rehab to the point of being able to briskly walk heel-toe (like shooting on the move) and pivot/turn, you’ll be fine.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

For the intro class we did in June, I think you would be fine with the ankle by taping it up and taking NSAIDs, but a hamstring can be slow to heal and hard to not re-injure.

Our class was on flat ground, but there are times you need to move quickly.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

that’s a nice one! I’ll be there Duane. I can carry you if you need me to.

Pinky

I’ll have the 9-Line prepped for you.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I took the previous CQB class and I’ll be taking the one next month. It’s the least physically demanding MVT class, fitness wise, that I’ve done- it’s more mental and more about really good form. With that said, there’s some “semi-fast stepping”

Days were 1 day square range, day 2/3 at the CQB site. Days 2/3 were literally in and around the huts, day 3 had some approaches across unlevel mountain terrain but only for like 25m. One approach we went a longer way, that had us creep around for a total of maybe 200m.
    I would say, there is some self pacing, but I would say there’s a caveat being that there’s a certain flow the team needs to have in order to be effective. My best advice is that if you’ll be able to rehab to the point of being able to briskly walk heel-toe (like shooting on the move) and pivot/turn, you’ll be fine.

Good info. I’ll know more in a week.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

That’s a crazy looking sprain. Hope you recover quickly without re-injury.

So the CQBC was square range only on the first day. At one point we did several rounds of shooting and moving slowly to practice turreting, then learning the footwork of how to stack up and enter a room. No sprinting involved, just smooth deliberate brisk walking.

The 2nd day at the CQB huts did involve some short running. We did a buddy-pair competition involving carrying a bucket of rocks 50 yards down the road and clearing both huts against paper targets for time and accuracy.

On the 3rd day with FoF, the attacking teams started at the wood line nearby and moved swiftly yet quietly toward the huts. Running was not part of the CQB doctrine we were taught, but once the UTM rounds started flying we did have people running between buildings or dashing around in the rooms. That said, with a cool head and tactical patience I think all of that can be done with just swift walking.

At one point, my team opted to circle through the woods around the back and attack the rear door by assaulting uphill. That’s the 200m approach JohnnyMac mentioned. That was some up and down hill stuff but we only did it once and no other team tried this.

Other than that, there was about 8-9 hours of being on your feet each day. Walking to/from the square range and huts from the parking areas was more strenuous than clearing rooms. As the reviews said it’s more mentally demanding than physically.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Ralph Kramden
    HiDesertRat
    Participant

I attended the last Direct Action class in Idaho in May. I was developing plantar fasciitis in my right foot secondary to hill climbing and rowing getting ready for the class. While it hurt and limited my mobility a small amount, eating naproxen and ibuprofen helped to deal with it. What really screwed me was the first day it was really hot, 90 degrees F and despite hydrating adequately, I could not do the very last assault exercise of the day. I was unaccustomed to the heat and my performance sucked by the end of the day. It was a difficult decision but I did not wish to spoil the groups experience, so sat it out. Completed all the rest of the days with just a sore foot. Thankfully the weather cooled the rest of the time. Having a realistic assessment of your abilities is important and it must supersede your ego if you are to remain an asset to your group.

Profile photo of Steven W.
    fabio
    Participant

As JohnnyMac mentioned, it’s a physically low demanding…by MVT standards. But there are times that movement will need to be fast.

It’s a personal decision, but I would fully heal first.

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I sent a note to John to draw his attention to this and give an opinion. It is either flat rnahe or all around the CQB huts. You can miss the run on the stress shoot, we will tailor it to you. You should not actually be running, in gact we find it hard to slow people down to a controlled flow into the rooms.

If you are really worried, can you find someone who wants the spot?

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I sent a note to John to draw his attention to this and give an opinion. It is either flat range or all around the CQB huts. You can miss the run on the stress shoot, we will tailor it to you. You should not actually be running, in fact we find it hard to slow people down to a controlled flow into the rooms.

If you are really worried, can you find someone here who wants the spot?

Profile photo of Chris
    Chris
    Participant

Yup, getting old sucks! I was with Max in ID back in May for the CTT/Mobility class and tore my hamstring on the last day of CTT. I was basically an ‘observer’ for the Mobility part of the course 😕.
    Did I mention that getting old sucks?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Now that I'm over 50 I realize that my People Skills are fine...it is my tolerance of Idiots that needs work.

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I sent a note to John to draw his attention to this and give an opinion. It is either flat range or all around the CQB huts. You can miss the run on the stress shoot, we will tailor it to you. You should not actually be running, in fact we find it hard to slow people down to a controlled flow into the rooms.

If you are really worried, can you find someone here who wants the spot?

I am not worried, Yet.

At my current rate of healing, my expectation is that I could do a flat range class without any limitations.

Right now I am just gathering data about the class in order to make an educated judgement call.

If there were any hills like in CRCD or CTT, the answer would be definitely NO to err on the side of caution.

I see an ortho for rehab on 02AUG. By then, I will know definitely one way or another which way to go.

I know that it would make a certain sense to take the class at a later date, but I get training when my schedule allows and I am not sure about my schedule for the Fall.

@Max.

All that being said: If you think I need to make a decision now, let me know and I’ll call it.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Jonny3X
    John3X
    Participant

@duaneh

The MVT CQBC program is probably the least physical program that MVT offers. As the primary instructor I can guarantee that if you can walk at a moderate pace and shift your lower body to accomplish deliberate right, left and rear turns than you will be in adequate shape to complete the program.

This program is far more about mental strength and conditioning than physical. The one component that is physical is the “stress shoot”, and if your not up to doing it that’s fine its literally about 1 hour of the entire course and more realistically only about 8-10 minutes of training per team.

Know yourself and your limitations, listen to your doctor’s but no this is not a very physically demanding course and it is go at your own pace (or the pace of your slowest team member). The thing I yell the most at this course is “slow down” and my prior students can vett that, haha.

I hope you continue to recover well and hope to see you in August, but use you’re own judgement and keep Max and myself informed on your prognosis.

John

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

Okey dokey. Thanks

As long as everything keeps progressin and the doc says I can walk (which I am doing anyway) I’ll be there.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

@duaneh
    I will be there too. If you go down, can I have your shit? ;-)

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.