Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

The Book On Hammer Forging of Rifle Barrels

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons The Book On Hammer Forging of Rifle Barrels

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DuaneH DuaneH 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

I found the link originally on weaponsman.com
    https://web.archive.org/web/20110728022730/http://technology.calumet.purdue.edu/met/higley/index.htm

The first link is a technical booklet on the subject of hammer forging.
    About 10 years ago I had the opportunity to talk to a metallurgist/chemist who worked at FN here in Columbia. He was a friend of my father in law and I asked him about CHF vs other barrels and he told that the CHF process made the barrels stronger and last longer than traditional method.

I researched the matter (my degrees are in science) but could not find any reports of testings done to compare CHF vs other methods which would be the gold standard or level I evidence.

Still I chose to err on the side of the metallurgist (expert opinion) and my limited knowledge of what happens to metal when you beat it and most of my fighting rifles have CHF barrels w/ chrome lining.

Since then a variety of people who actually do know more about at least some aspects of guns have told me that CHF barrels do not last longer than regular rifle barrels of the same material and quality.

According to the book After cold forging normally the strength of the barrel material increases by
    approximately 10%

Read the books and make up your own mind.

I will tell you that in comparing barrels you have to compare apples to apples. Comparing an unlined CHF barrel made from barrel steel from a dubious korean source (Like PSA now) vs a Noveske barrel made from Carpenter steel is not an accurate test. A quality button rifled, chrome lined from Colt will outlast just about any of the econo-ARs barrels simply because they are using a better steel.

Some of the other ebooks are interesting results of testing accuracy of CHF barrels.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

My FN and my older PSA (with FN barrel) are both CHF CL MPI.

Profile photo of DuaneH
    DuaneH
    Participant

My FN and my older PSA (with FN barrel) are both CHF CL MPI.

As are mine. PSA is now making their own barrels and they are now selling unlined CHF barrels that are not from FN although they are still selling at least some FN barrels. Caveat Emptor.

Appleseed.
    NOV2008 IBC
    OCT2009 FT Stewart
    OCT2010 RBC Known Distance Rifleman
    OCT2014&2015 Long Distance Rifleman
    JUN2015 1000 Yds

I.C.E/JAN2011 Combat Focus Shooting

Tactical Response
    JUN2009 Fighting Pistol
    JUL2009 Fighting Rifle
    AUG2010 Immediate Action Medical
    NOV2012 Way of the Rifle

Mountain Guerrilla/JUN2013-Irregular Warfare

MVT
    SEP2013&2014-CRCD
    OCT2014-CP
    MAR2015-RC1=RIFLEMAN!
    AUG2015-CCC
    SEP2016-CTT
    OCT2016-FOF
    TEAM COYOTE!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.