Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

Home Forums Operational and Strategic Levels The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbon

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Inactive

I am slowly working my way through all six volumes of Gibbon’s great work, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. The saying is that those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Well, friends, from what I see, we are repeating it.

I am not sure if any of you are interested in joining me on this literary journey. It is quite a large time commitment. However, if you elect to do so, then I will be here to discuss our thoughts along the way.

Why Operational and Strategic Levels for this thread, you ask? I imagine you will understand after reading the first few chapters of Volume One.

Profile photo of wheelseewheelsee
    Participant

History rarely repeats itself…….but it often rhymes……(I have no clue who said this right now. I just found it in the crevices of the gray matter).

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of CalCal
    Participant

It just so happens I am also working through it, though in the audiobook format through Audible. Where are you in your studies?

Profile photo of RobRoyRobRoy
    Participant

I made it thru the fall of the Western Empire, when Gibbon switched his focus to Byzantine my eyes glazed over and I put the book down.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.