Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Tomahawk!

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Tomahawk!

This topic contains 39 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Velocity Max 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Skittles
    Skittles
    Participant

Somehow i dont think Max is kidding

"... rainbow colored unicorn farts."

Profile photo of Former Sapper
    Former Sapper
    Participant

Shemaghs were ally as fuck at one point

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Shemaghs were ally as fuck at one point

They still are. And the best part is they serve several useful purposes.

I guess I will have to start wearing mine to prove that point.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

…My whole point with this? Don’t make blanket statements about who uses what kit or doesn’t. You just might find someone using it for reasons that you never thought of.

I think you missed the part where it said:

*Most*…

A blanket statement would been “all” or “everyone”.
    Some of us non-mil. folk are actually aware of the real-life uses of certain items that *some* people treat as tactical “lifestyle” accessories.
    ;-)

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

…My whole point with this? Don’t make blanket statements about who uses what kit or doesn’t. You just might find someone using it for reasons that you never thought of.

*Most*…

Some of us non-mil. folk are actually aware of the real-life uses of certain items that *some* people treat as tactical “lifestyle” accessories.
    ;-)

Wasn’t directed at you specifically. We need a tone button for the internet, and a sarcasm one also. ;-)

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

*Most*…

;-)

Wasn’t directed at you specifically. We need a tone button for the internet, and a sarcasm one also. ;-)

Damn fog of the internet strikes again.
    The way your previous was worded, coming directly after my post made me think otherwise.
    No problem. :good:

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

I would not be giving them shit for packing it along, just demand that they be great at using it. Chances are if you study and practice tomahawk fighting, your learning hand to hand, edge weapons, blunt weapons, and long blade weapons. if your neighbor called and said hey asshole I ‘m learning how to fight with tomahawk want to learn and practice? you would say no? you’d stop by XYZ sports store and have a hawk in hand.

Profile photo of Lloyd
    shooter
    Participant

Speaking from the perspective of “bushcraft”: I worked 4 years as an elk hunting guide in the Frank Church and Selway Wilderness Areas in Idaho. The first 3 years, I carried a double-bit “saddle axe” – a mid-size double-bladed axe, bigger than a tomahawk, but smaller than a real no-shit wood-chopper. Anyway, by the 4th year I saw the light (shone by another older guide), and I pared down to a Wyoming Saw and a big knife (USMC K-Bar), plus my small skinning knife. These tools worked better, weighed less, were easier to pack around, and were a double-shit-load more versatile than the saddle axe.

All of the above is to say that if anything, a Tomahawk would be even less useful than that double-bit saddle axe, and almost as bulky/heavy to carry around.

…they are “cool”, though.

---

We are all victims of our perspective.

Max
    Keymaster

Damn, I was just looking for a molle scabbard for my 1796 Heavy Cav sword!

I do carry one on my BOB (eastwing 16″) but since I picked up a new proper ax it will probably be retired.

My Grayman knife I carry on my Hgear will do 90% of the same tasks a hatchet will do and is a better all around tool.

Anyone who reads “the ax book” will quickly understand the limitations of a hatchet. My Sven saw is more useful except in Zombie scenarios :wacko:

Max
    Keymaster

Roger’s himself, and most Rangers that could afford them, preferred a Cutlass over the Tomahawk.

That’s fascinating. By the time of the WBTS, in Mosby’s War Reminiscences, he repeatedly describes how ineffective cavalry troops were when they insisted on using the traditional sabre instead of the (then) new-fangled revolver.

I think there’s a lesson for us there…

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

No Comments

Comments are now closed on this post.