Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Very Low Profile Option

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Weapons Very Low Profile Option

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine" Keeper 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

I’m currently testing this AR pistol:

It’s 300blk, which provides better ballistics from a short (8.5″) barrel. It uses a shockwave blade stabilizer connected to a law tactical folding adapter. The overall package when folded allows it to be stored in any common backpack.

I still have more testing to do, but this setup gives you significant capability, uses the same manual of arms as it’s 5.56 carbine relatives, with a tiny footprint. It’s something to think about.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

Is it considered an SBR because of the stock?

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Is it considered an SBR because of the stock?

No, it’s not a stock, but a stabilizing blade…it’s quite different for sure, but this remains a pistol.

Description:

The Shockwave Technologies Blade Pistol Stabilizer is a lightweight, ergonomic, BATFE approved AR-15 pistol enhancement. This high-strength polymer brace fits all pistols equipped with a standard AR-15 pistol buffer tube (up to 1.25″ in diameter), for a secure, worry-free fit.

The Shockwave Blade Pistol Stabilizer incorporates a flexible stabilizing fin which rests against the inside of the forearm when in the firing position. If desired, a standard sling may be wrapped around the Blade and forearm, further stabilizing the pistol to the forearm in both horizontal and vertical planes.

I picked up the pistol lower from PSA http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-complete-moe-ept-shockwave-pistol-lower-no-magazine-black-516447561.html

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

No, it’s not a stock, but a stabilizing blade…it’s quite different for sure, but this remains a pistol.

I think this image does a excellent job of showing the “blade” origins.

Here is a image demonstrating its official use.I

Please avoid the bizarre nature of BATFE’s various on and off rulings regarding this.

My current favorite brace is the Tailhook MOD 2 by Gear Head Works.

Gear Head Works:

Tailhook MOD 2 takes the pistol brace concept to a whole new level with it’s ability to telescope the length. The key to this is our Patented proprietary telescoping latch mechanism giving the user 5 positions of use up to a 12.75″ LOP. Combine that with the also Patented brace functionality and you have the new king of the market. The brace is injection molded out of reinforced polymer for rigidity and strength. It provides the perfect balance between size, weight, comfort and rigidity that everyone has been wishing for. A heavyweight with features all at featherweight mass, the 7 ounce* Tailhook MOD 2 is the clear winner.

As with all it’s siblings, the MOD 2 uses the same fold out arm to create the support shelf that inspired the Tailhook name. This counteracts the muzzle weight of your favorite large handgun. The telescoping feature lets you find that sweet spot for balance. As an added feature, the outsides are smooth for comfortable cheeking. There is even a web sling loop.

Included in the package is the Tailhook, proprietary receiver extension, castle nut and back plate.

Remember that when this is installed on a pistol, it does not change the classification of the pistol with correct intended use.

I still have more testing to do, but this setup gives you significant capability, uses the same manual of arms as it’s 5.56 carbine relatives, with a tiny footprint. It’s something to think about.

I’ve consider these since they first came to market, overall I am glad I waited since current selection of products is far superior to original offerings.

These can be a great option for those that can’t have a SBR due to their location or prefer not to deal with BATFE.

JohnnyMac thanks for sharing this.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

These can be a great option for those that can’t have a SBR due to their location or prefer not to deal with BATFE.

JohnnyMac thanks for sharing this.

I wasn’t even planning to share this, but figured I would since it’s different and people might not have seen something like it. I have an SBR, but as a pistol, it affords more liberty within the bounds of the law.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have an SBR, but as a pistol, it affords more liberty within the bounds of the law.

I understand and as shocking as it can be for the gun guys, not everyone here keeps up on different firearms options. For many it’s as interesting as selecting a hammer or any other tool. ;-)

So I think its a good thing to show the various options out there. Various specialty weapons are available for niche roles.

I am pretty confident JohnnyMac isn’t replacing his primary rifle with this, but has identified a specific role that his rifle is not the correct tool for. As he evaluates this pistol to see if it will fill this unique role.

I too have some potential “unique to me” roles that can be filled by non-standard firearms. I may explore some of this in its own Thread.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

I too have some potential “unique to me” roles that can be filled by non-standard firearms. I may explore some of this in its own Thread.

Do it! I usually find great value in learning about nonstandard solutions to various needs/problems.

Profile photo of Robert
    Robert
    Participant

I’m ignorant to the pistol version deal, but this looks like a great option to all the BS involving SBRs.

www.jrhenterprises.com
    RMP, TC3, NODF, CRCD 6/14, CP 9/14. NODF, Land Nav, 6/15. Rifleman Challenge 9/15- Vanguard. FOFtactics 3/16, 10/16, 11/16, 6/17,11/17 CTT, 6/15, 11/16, , LRMC-1 9/17 GA Mobile CTT and DA 10/16, GA mobile DCH 3/18, HEAT1 3/18 Alum weekend 8/18, Opfor CLC 10/18, DA 11/18 CQBC 12/18

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’m ignorant to the pistol version deal, but this looks like a great option to all the BS involving SBRs.

There are a few “Krinkov like” braced pistol options for AK aficionados like yourself! ;-)

JohnnyMac
    Participant

Yeah Robert, they make these in AK format- if I were nearly as skilled with the AK as I am with the AR, I would have just gone AK pistol. The 300blk, after all, is pretty similar to the 7.62 short (albeit slower)

Profile photo of Darkrivers
    Darkrivers
    Participant

Braced AR pistol is a great option for smaller/younger shooters who dont have the strength to handle a full size rifle effectively.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the 3rd monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark... And Brother, it's starting to rain! James from Texas

Profile photo of Socks
    Socks
    Participant

Really useful if you want a loaded “long gun” but your state doesn’t even allow you to carry loaded mags in your vehicle.

Just keep in mind not to throw a vertical grip on it as that will change the status from “pistol” to “AOW”

The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness.

Robert A. Heinlein

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

@johnnymac Nice setup. Couple questions:

What’s the total length when folded?

What .300BLK ammo would you recommend for this?

What drew you to .300BLK over a 9mm/.45ACP AR?

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

JohnnyMac
    Participant

What’s the total length when folded?

I didn’t get a chance to measure it last night, but I would estimate around 16″ folded length.

What .300BLK ammo would you recommend for this?

I’ve only tried two different loads so far, freedom 110gr FMJ and subsonic freedom 220gr V-max. The weapon functioned with both, but gave unacceptable accuracy with the subsonics. I’m interested in testing loads that use the barnes tac-tx 110gr bullet and the hornady 110gr V-max. And I’d like to try a different subsonic load. There are so many 300blk loads, I just need to find what will work best for this setup.

Subsonic 300blk is similar to 45acp at roughly 450 ft lbs vs 340 ft lbs, respectively. Using subsonic though is a niche within a niche. It’s great at being super quiet when suppressed, but doesn’t have that much energy. Supersonic 300blk is a different animal, at roughly 1400ft lbs, it sits between 5.56 and 7.62×39. By design, it does not rely as much on velocity as 5.56 does, and hence, loses less performance as barrel lengths decrease.

The biggest downside to 300blk is cost, but as a niche tool it doesn’t bother me. It uses the same manual of arms as what I do all my training with anyway, so I don’t feel the need to dedicate training time to 300blk specifically.

So, why 300blk vs pistol cal AR:
    -power similar to 5.56 and 7.62×39
    -Interfaces with all my gear (especially mags)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Subsonic 300blk is similar to 45acp at roughly 450 ft lbs vs 340 ft lbs, respectively.

This reminded me of a recent video on the Military Arms Channel, while not really scientific it is informative.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The biggest downside to 300blk is cost, but as a niche tool it doesn’t bother me.

VIDEO: Reloading .300 AAC Blackout Using 5.56 Brass

Article:

One of the big benefits of the .300 AAC Blackout round is that you can use 5.56 NATO brass and turn it into .300 BLK with not too much extra work. I got bored last night and made this video describing the process in detail, walking you through the entire reloading process for .300 BLK. Make the jump for a quick comparison of the price of factory .300 BLK versus reloads.

Factory ammo:

Subsonic: $1.09/round
    Supersonic: $.90
    My reloads:

Powder: $0.03 (1 lb/$21, 700 rounds worth)
    Primer: $0.04 (1,000/$42)
    Bullet: $0.22 (100/$22)
    Brass: FREE!
    Total $/Round: $0.29
    The difference is staggering, and definitely worth the investment.

If you decide this pistol is a keeper this maybe a option worth pursuing.

JohnnyMac
    Participant

I’ve been saving 300blk brass (and some 5.56) in case I decide to reload at some point but I have so many other things going on that I can’t justify the time for reloading.

On a side note, in graduate school, I did a small research project on small scale ammunition remanufacturing. Semi-surprisingly, I got no comments on my chosen subject. The numbers worked out well, ignoring the 300# gorilla in the room (liability).

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I do very little reloading, just enough to keep my proficiency up. My savings come with bulk purchases when prices are down. This allows me to weather ammo shortages due to consumer fear.

Most of my reloading is based on long-term preparedness where removing wheel weights is part of the answer. ;-)

Profile photo of Keeper aka "Sun Shine"
    Keeper
    Participant

Nice little set up.
    I just put together a 10.5 5.56 SBR/ trainer. plan on using my 30 cal can on it super quite let us know how the folding joint holds up.
    Keeper

Alumni living in N.E Fla. for now. Going to retire in Iowa on the farm some day soon.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.