Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Weapons Lube

This topic contains 24 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of First Sergeant First Sergeant 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of First Sergeant
    First Sergeant

Last weekend we had a CRS class. One of the issues that keeps coming up is lube for your rifles.

One of the students was using a bio CLP. The bio means that it is supposed to be environmentally safe. More on that later.

There are several issues at play here. One is how thin this stuff was, one was how hard the rifle was being used, another was how hot it got that weekend and the other is CLP itself.

I could hear that his rifle needed lube. You can tell by the sound when the rifle cycles. He had already lubed it but this is where how thin it was and that it was CLP comes into play. The stuff was burning off almost as fast as he was lubing the rifle. You could see the smoke coming off of it when he fired. No, it wasn’t from the rounds being fired. I am pretty sure I know the difference.

If he had just been out at the range shooting three or four mags he may not have had any issues. But he was running the rifle hard. Combine that with the daytime temps and you will start to have issues.

Now about CLP. It stands for Cleaner, Lubricant, Preservative. The Army has used it for years. You use it to do all threes things listed. It works OK. It does all three things, it just doesn’t do any of them well. I used it for years because I didn’t know any better and it was free. If it’s all I had I wouldn’t have a problem using it, I would just make sure I a had a good supply of it because when the rifle gets hot it burns off, contrary to what others may say or what the specs of the stuff says.

Environmentally safe or bio lubes and cleaners. I am not a tree hugger but I don’t believe in purposely destroying the environment either. Plus you are getting this stuff on your hands and breathing the fumes in while cleaning and firing. So anything that is not as harmful is a plus. Most of the newer stuff has gone this direction. So whatever you decide on, just make sure it works. But I will always love the smell of Hoppes #9.

On a previous CRS class it rained all day the first day. There was lube issues on that day also. The students rifles and mine stayed wet all day. I know some of the students were leary of this but it was done to prove a point. The rifles didn’t melt and they continued to function with no issues except for two rifles.

The lube on those rifles was basically being washed away and the two students had malfunctions. Once they added more lube the rifles ran until the lube was washed away again. The two lubes being used were Wilson Combat Ultima Lube and Hoppes Gun Oil. Lesson learned.

Whatever lube you choose, you need to make sure it works. Under all conditions that you and your rifle could be exposed to where you live. Be it heat, cold(to include sub freezing temps), rain, snow, humidity, dust, dirt and fouling. If it doesn’t work, get rid of it and go with something else.

There are a lot of lubes on the market. Some work and some don’t. There is also a shit load of snake oil being sold. Don’t fall for the latest and greatest. Do your research and choose wisely.

Stay the hell away from grease on an AR. It will eventually gum everything up. Lube needs to be able flow and push fouling out of the way. Grease just makes it stick. There is a reason we call Frog Lube, Frog Glue.

I know it will be asked so I will go ahead and tell you now. I use SLIP 2000 and SLIP 2000 EWL for lube. I use SLIP 2000 Carbon Killer for cleaning.

The only way to find out if the stuff you are using works is to get off your ass, get to class and use it. It may be fine for a day at the range or plinking in the backyard. It may not be worth a damn if you have to bet your life or the lives of your loved ones on it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

FILO
    Signal out, can you identify.
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of JohnnyMac
    JohnnyMac
    Participant

Nicely said!

Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

Good advice. Action it.

Also, make sure you have a pinned gas block. Several issues in Idaho this year from set screws working loose under ‘combat conditions.’ Recall the 4 day class video with the guy racking the bolt each time?

I received my Colt 6920 OEM2. I’m in the process of outfitting it. Pinned gas block. Colt quality. Get something along thosei as as your combat rifle. No pinned gas block, however cool the brand is? Move on.

I also use SLIP 2000. There is a clue there. Roll with it.

Profile photo of Jake
    Weber
    Participant

I also use the same stuff, always with positive results. Everyone should have SLIP 2000 EWL and the SLIP carbon killer in their range bag.

My mom said I could be anything I wanted to be when I grew up. So I chose to be a man.

Profile photo of Hello Kitty (Craig)
    hellokitty
    Participant

Copy that.
    Out.

CTT 1502, NODF 1502, CP 1503, RC 002- Rifleman, FoF x 2, Run and Gun, RS/CTT, CLC, CQBC, Heat 1

Craig S.

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

There are so many options and everybody on the other boards has their favorite. I figure most are like me and go to the range a few times a year and run through a couple of mags on several different guns and never really push it to its limit. I’ve never heard of SLIP 2000, so I will be giving that a try.

Any hard use experience on Ballistol or Mobil-1 Synthetic?

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Max
    Keymaster

Because most have no idea what they are talking about. There is a confusion about firearms: there are those who simply own them, as a sport or hobby, and there are those who use them as tools for combat. As a soldier, or an MVT student, we use them as tools for combat. The opinions of the hobbyists and uniformed are so much chaff in the wind. Lube, weapon type, pinned gas blocks etc: these are all things that you must get right for a combat weapon, for running hard under combat conditions. This is what this forum is about.

When you bring a frankengun to class, or to combat, you are confusing the hobby with the MVT purpose.

If people would just take the advice here on everything from weapons to gear, PT and training, we could move on. If this were the military, First Sergeant would just make it happen. Here, We have to rely on the gentle art of persuasion and it is like herding cats.

Profile photo of JustARandomGuy
    JustARandomGuy
    Participant

Another +1 for the Slip 2000 EWL.
    Stuff works.
    The thin lubes… do not.
    And yes, as 1Sgt. mentioned you can actually see the lesser lubes burn off within the first few rounds you fire.
    May be ok for a .22, not for serious use. :negative:

I find this somewhat hilarious in light of the un-ending circular discussions on lube you’ll find on most major gun forums….

"Time come Kimosabe, when good men must wear masks."
    ~Tanto

Profile photo of dnb
    dnb
    Participant

Tried various lubes for aks, ar’s, glocks, and bolt guns. Aks can run a long time dry. Ars, got tired of the snake oils, never really had too much of a problem with the ones I did use if it needed more lube I applied it. Last 2-3 years, I use a mix of about 2/3s motor oil, 1/3 atf filled to a high point on a bottle, then top it off hoppes solvent. Never had any problems with this mix, 0 deg to 110 deg in many conditions in the western usa with high round count (steel case ammo). It also cleans up well. I use it on glocks.

Bolt guns and lever, I like dry spray on lube but also use the mix, I just apply it, then wipe it off to leave a thin film.

Main reason I like it is it works and it’s handy for my uses.

First Sergeant

Any hard use experience on Ballistol or Mobil-1 Synthetic?

I have never used either but know guys that use Mobil-1. Have never heard any issues with it.

Tried various lubes for aks, ar’s, glocks, and bolt guns. Aks can run a long time dry. Ars, got tired of the snake oils, never really had too much of a problem with the ones I did use if it needed more lube I applied it. Last 2-3 years, I use a mix of about 2/3s motor oil, 1/3 atf filled to a high point on a bottle, then top it off hoppes solvent. Never had any problems with this mix, 0 deg to 110 deg in many conditions in the western usa with high round count (steel case ammo). It also cleans up well. I use it on glocks.

Bolt guns and lever, I like dry spray on lube but also use the mix, I just apply it, then wipe it off to leave a thin film.

Main reason I like it is it works and it’s handy for my uses.

I have talked to several people who make their own like you. If it works and you have absolutely run the guns through the wringer with it, drive on.

I find this somewhat hilarious in light of the un-ending circular discussions on lube you’ll find on most major gun forums….

Explain.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Profile photo of Support Side
    ffhounddog
    Participant

Let’s see my M4 and M9 get slip 2000 here in SWA. I keep a small bottle of slip 2000 Ewl for the road in a bfg boo boo pouch. So I’m just jumping on the bandwagon. For the indoor range I use the crappy stuff I got when I forgot lube CLP, rem oil, whatever Walmart brand is in stock when I forgot slip 2000.

Support Side. Not flattering but better than weak side.

Profile photo of Dave37
    dave37
    Participant

I used the aerosol Ballistol in Texas in February. No lubrication other than a spray into the bolt carrier every morning, and my gun went 2500 rounds without cleaning or jamming. Didn’t use it in extreme heat, cold, or wet conditions though.

Texas CTT/Mobility 2017, Missouri 1 Day CQB 2017, Texas HEAT 2 2018

Profile photo of john
    texas
    Participant

I have ran Mobile-1 for the past 3 or so MVT classes without issue. I run a can and even with the extra gases and fouling I have never had an issue. Ran in the rain and in Texas heat. I also ran it on my 1911 for Scott’s DHC class earlier this year in the COLD :good: .

I used to use Slip 2000 and like Max and First Sergeant said, it works very well. I know of nobody having a bad word to say about Slip 2000. It is the only thing “my” gun store sells.

I personally started to use Mobile 1 in class to ensure I have something that will work and don’t/can’t have access to Slip 2000. I just never went back to Slip 2000.

RS/CTT/CP (VTC 10/15)
    RS/CTT/Mobility/NODF (Texas 02/16)
    FoF (VTC 03/16 Blue Team)
    CRS/CTT/NODF (Texas 02/17)
    CQB/FoF (Texas 03/17)
    DCH (VTC 03/17)
    IG: jmp_texas

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

Anyone running Lucas Gun Oil?

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Max
    Keymaster

Anyone using Pam Cooking Spray? I heard of a guy who used it on his AK, and then ran 50,000 rounds through it on full auto. In 10 minutes.

So that’s what I’m gonna do.

Fuck that SLIP2000 advice.

:good:

Profile photo of mark9mmp
    mark9mmp
    Participant

Damn 1st Sarge beat me to it. I’ve used CLP for along time then made the switch and tried froglube, oops. Lo and behold, it was like maple syrup that smelled of bengay and carbon. Lots of stuck cases that day. Press check? Nope, its glued shut. What a mess. Even with a NIBX coated BCG it was hell cleaning it all off. Thanks for the post and hope it helps folks who are going to try a new lube. I now use SLIP2000 as well and its been great.

Just a regular guy. Native Kansan and current Okie.

Profile photo of wheelsee
    wheelsee
    Participant

Anyone using Pam Cooking Spray? I heard of a guy who used it on his AK, and then ran 50,000 rounds through it on full auto. In 10 minutes.

DANG MAX!!!

Give a guy a liquid warning……just spewed OJ on my keyboard….heck, guess I’ll try it as lube…… :whistle:

Which is heavier - a soldier's pack or a slave's chains? Napoleon

Strength, Honor. Maximus (Gladiator)

If you tolerate evil, you yourself are evil.
    Col Hugo Martinez, Commander Search Bloc

William, in The Republic - CRS/CTT 2017, HEAT 2/CQB/FonF 2018, DCH 2018

Profile photo of Joe (G.W.N.S.)
    Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have a slightly different take on this slight thread drift.

I have never used either but know guys that use Mobil-1. Have never heard any issues with it.

I have talked to several people who make their own like you.

I consider this something to keep in the back of my mind for possible “Post-Event” use should my supply of what I consider to be appropriate lubricant be depleted.

Max has made an excellent point in his usual unique style. ;-)

When Max, First Sergeant, or other Training Cadre offer advice it would be wise to take it seriously.

It is not a matter of conforming to their choices as the only solution, but is advice shaped by real combat experiences in extremely harsh environments.

Consider what your choices are based on when weighing your options.

If it works and you have absolutely run the guns through the wringer with it, drive on.

If above quote is accurate for your choice, so be it.

However if there is any doubt, particularly for “real world” application or even training at MVT.

I suggest you reconsider your options to avoid possible death as the worst outcome and wasted training opportunities at the least.

It’s your choice, just chose wisely!

Profile photo of Roadkill
    Roadkill
    Participant

View under the bus sucks. Slip 2000 it is.

RS/CTT Nov 16
    HEAT1 Aug18

Profile photo of Virgil Kane
    Virgil Kane
    Participant

View under the bus sucks. Slip 2000 it is.

Agreed. Getting crowded too.

Masters II
    Georgia
    June 2017 Intro CQB, FOF-Team Deplorables
    October 2017 MVT South - CTT/DA
    March 2018 DCH

Profile photo of Jason Howe
    BrothersKeeper
    Participant

My new motto: Do everything that Max and Scott say. I would have saved a lot of money and pain if I had. 4 years ago though I thought Nutnfancy was as all that and a bag of chips. That’s a trigger word for Max. Nutnfancy Nutnfancy Nutnfancy Nutnfancy! :negative:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Land Nav 06/15
    Rifle Skills/CTT/CP
    10/15
    CLC 04/17
    Alumni Live Fire 08/18

Don’t let your past define your future.

Profile photo of jwf
    jwf
    Participant

Ive read alot of stuff over on the Mountain Guerrilla blog and Mosby mentions in an article that he uses mobil one. I like the stuff recomended here but i do use motor oil as a back up and ive learned the hard way not to use grease , im still pretty new to carbine training (ive been to 5 classes with various instructors)and ive made a couple dumb mistakes like using grease( followed by a pita cleaning) or running my rifle dry or attempting a semi-torture test(horrible idea btw). Now about that pam…sounds like a good idea..but i heard bacon grease is more versatile and doubles up as a good haji repellent. Im suprised magpul hasnt started making tactical bacon clp for the guys over in the sandbox.

Profile photo of TC
    TC
    Participant

Any recommendations on maintaining an AR in extended rainy conditions? During the recent CQBC my carbine ran fine with Slip 2000 EWL in the action but I neglected to coat my roll pins, BUIS, light mounting hardware, end plate etc. and they all rusted up. Was thinking of using a brush to coat every last bit of iron in Slip 2000 next time.

SE Florida ☆ CQBC 2017 ☆ CTT/DA 2017 ☆ CLC 2018

Profile photo of Born2Hunt2
    Bill G.
    Participant

Learned my lesson the hard way the first time through CTT…if it weren’t for these guys direction….I would be up the creek for sure….hopefully the bugs are all worked out…Slip 2000!

First Sergeant

Any recommendations on maintaining an AR in extended rainy conditions? During the recent CQBC my carbine ran fine with Slip 2000 EWL in the action but I neglected to coat my roll pins, BUIS, light mounting hardware, end plate etc. and they all rusted up. Was thinking of using a brush to coat every last bit of iron in Slip 2000 next time.

I use a barbers brush to put a very light coat on the outside of my rifle. I just use the SLIP2000.

FILO
    Je ne regrette rien...
    Klagt Nicht, Kämpft

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.