Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

West Virginia

Home Forums The Lounge The local Meeting Spot West Virginia

This topic contains 30 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Anyone???

C2G Feb 2015, CTT March 2016, CQB June 2018

Profile photo of Mountain Mom
    gramma
    Participant

Me – soon. I close on the new place, end of next month and already have another small more “retreat” property.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

I’m in Oak Hill. Where are you?

gramma
    Participant

What county is that? I close on a place in Hampshire next month and my other cabin is a few counties south.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

I’m down south in Fayette County. If you’ve ever heard of New River Gorge, that’s where I’m located.

Profile photo of Vidar
    Vidar
    Participant

Salem here. Doddridge county

Former LRS. (If you don't know what that is, good, we're doing our job)

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Salem here. Doddridge county

Cool, Vidar! Originally, I’m from Harrisville in Ritchie County.

Profile photo of Vidar
    Vidar
    Participant

Ritchie county is right next door lol. Still in the area?

Former LRS. (If you don't know what that is, good, we're doing our job)

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Ritchie county is right next door lol. Still in the area?

[/quote
    No, I’ve been living in Oak Hill for several years. I was in Harrisville last weekend for a visit.

gramma
    Participant

Just an update – I’m hoping to move in 2 weeks. It’s been a logistical nightmare – with contractors to supervise at this place on the beach, a hurricane that was forecast NOT to bother us at all, and all the residuals from it. Doing most everything myself, although the contractors have been a godsend and my D has helped pack a lot of stuff. Still need to organize a truck loading/unloading party for stuff the movers can’t haul.

The retreat is in Pendleton Co.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

I hate to hear of your setbacks at the beach do to the weather, but sounds like progress is being made. Pendleton Co. is awesome!!! I want to get up there for some mountain biking very soon. The scenery up there is as good as anywhere and North Fork Mountain Trail is one of the best. Could maybe help unload the truck, if timing is right?

gramma
    Participant

Wow. That was a busy time and I was wrapped a little too “tight”. I’m comfortable at the new HQ in Hampshire, now. Been doing as little as possible since November just to get my head straight on a few things again. And fixing a few things. LOL…

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Anyone new from WV? Southern WV, Beckley area?

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

@wesmc I know we chatted a while back. Based on (lack of) local activity I am revisiting the practicality and possibility of making at least an initial meetup if the offer is still open.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

@zeerf That would be fantastic! I have some training space available in the immediate vicinity of Oak Hill, WV. Just give me a heads up. :yahoo:

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

@zeerf The site is indicated as “proposed range site” on the attached file, to give you a rough idea of location.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

Good deal, looks to be ~4 hr drive. With that in mind I would like to shoot for at least one full day of training and happy to do more if our schedules allowed it.

Here come the never ending excuses, right? :(
    I just switched companies so will be a bit building up some vacation time but maybe a 3 day weekend or something. Anything in the next few months look good with your schedule?

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

I know all about excuses, with three active kids. August is kind of full, but weekends should be freeing up a bit in the fall. I will check the September and October and let you know.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

@zeerf – sorry it’s been so long getting back to you. My boys have soccer matches every Saturday in September, and I’ve got some stuff in October. What does early November look like for you?

Profile photo of zeerf
    zeerf
    Participant

@wesmc no worries, I totally understand. Nov 3-5 I will be doing the FoF with optional CQB day. The next 2 weekends may be possible but would have to run that by the sergeant major ;)

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

@zeerf, I know how that works.

Profile photo of Barry Subelsky
    Sam Brady
    Participant

Berkeley County WV

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

Howdy, Sam!

gramma
    Participant

Hi Sam – I’m in Hampshire, now.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

In my short visit to West Virginia I got the impression it was a beautiful state and the people there are decent and down to earth people.
    Seems like maybe it would be a good state to retire to.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

@WendyXY – Wendy, I think your assessment of WV and the people here is petty accurate. The downside is the economy, unfortunately, and sometimes winters can be harsh.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

@wesmc – Thank you for your reply.
    I got that impression on the local economy. Was told as much by a person from another part of WV I’ve being emailing back and forth who was at the last DCH class, as well as the guy behind the counter at the Koolwink.
    Seems the situation is being comparatively resource rich in land and wildlife but cash poor due to not a lot of industry to bring money in. But then again you don’t have the problems that more industry and people bring with them either.
    It seems to me if the company I retire from and the FedGov will deposit their respective pension and social security checks into my account where ever I am, that as long as there is a bank, a post office, a grocery store (and a medical center) somewhere around I could manage and at least be an overall contribution to the local economy.
    Where I am now is not all that far from Detroit. Looking to make a change once I no longer am tied to going into work every day (although I do like my job, I do realize that I probably won’t be able to do it forever).
    I am from Michigan and respectfully I think we have you beat or at least tied in the Winter cold and snow dept. Seems the difference to living there would be a case of being better prepared for not having to go out too much during the Winter months, especially if there is not a Meijer or WalMart store three miles away like there is over here.
    Anyway, I am thinking that it would make a lot more sense to be with people who are more down to earth and a slower more isolated lifestyle than living where there are a lot of the more typical retired people living in some typical retirement destination like Florida.
    Especially if things go continue to go South, either slowly or more quickly.
    Just my thoughts, thinking ahead for the future.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

@WendyXY – I think WV may be a perfect place for you to retire. :-)

gramma
    Participant

Wendy, one thing to add re: industry and economy vs natural resources. Historically, WV has made it’s living from it’s natural resources: timber, ag, coal, etc. That’s partly informed an inherent awareness that all the type of businesses that populate other areas – isn’t really compatible with stewardship of those resources. Wheeling, Huntington, Charleston are good-sized cities, with city amenities. But the rest of the state doesn’t aspire to that – and is protective against it.

Romney just got it’s first big-box store, in fact! Tractor Supply. LOL. I still haven’t been yet. Too much going on at home.

Profile photo of Wes
    wesmc
    Participant

@gramma – Beckley, which is just down the road from me, has a Rural King coming to town! :yahoo:

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.