Small Unit Tactics contact patriot-dawn Patriot Rising

Whole Life Nutrition

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Training Nutrition Whole Life Nutrition

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Max Velocity Max 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Max Velocity
    Max
    Keymaster

It’s clear to me that there is a lot wrong with what we eat as modern Americans. As a response to that, there are various diet plans and schemes out there.

IMO, the problem is one of poor diet, excess junk calories, and laziness. I do not personally believe that carbohydrates are wrong. I think they are fine in moderation, and are beneficial to high intensity exercise. It’s about balance and self control.

I think the problem is due to excess calorie intake versus lack of exercise. It’s a problem with nutrition-poor processed foods, additives, high fructose corn syrup, growth hormones in meat, and the like. This is just a very short summary.

The main purpose of this forum is tactical training. The basis of tactical ability is physical fitness. Thus, if you seek to become tactically trained, you are a fool if you neglect that foundational fitness aspect. Good nutrition will support not only your tactical fitness training, but your whole life health project, and your ability to perform in the field in a survival situation.

Let’s get a discussion going about sound nutrition practices that support good body composition, health and tactical effectiveness. It must support tactical fitness training plans. These are not plans for sedentary people, because that is not what we are about here on the forum – you should have a strategy to increase your tactical fitness.

This whole sub-forum is new, so feel free to comment here or start a new thread about any specific subject. I am seeking constructive open discussion that will enhance the knowledge of readers and assist them in their practical training. Note that there is a separate new sub-forum for field and survival rations.

Profile photo of Brian from Georgia
    Brian from Georgia
    Participant

Former fat guy here, so I speak from a position of authority :-)

6-7 years ago, I was 50 pounds heavier, sedentary, with high BP. Standard American Diet of fast food, sugar and soda.

I started running 3X per week and lifting weights 2-3X per week. I quit soft drinks, all fast food, fried food and heavily processed foods. For a while, I went low carb and low calorie (1700-2000 per day).

I dropped weight (from 242 lbs down to about 203 lb) but noticed I was losing muscle mass. I measured my arm since it doesn’t hold a lot of fat. I lost about 1 inch and also hit a weight loss plateau.

I upped my calories to about 2300 cal/day by adding complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, whole grains, etc.) and a little more meat. This accelerated my metabolism and gave more energy to both fuel and recover from workouts. I dropped from 203 lbs down to 191 lbs while gaining both strength and muscle mass.

Balance is key.

3-4 Aug 2013 CRCD, 2-6 Aug 2014 CRCD/Patrol, 30 Sep 2016 Run n Gun, 1-2 Oct 2016 FoF, 3-4 March 2018 DCH alumni
    Team Coyote

Max
    Keymaster

I think I have been approaching nutrition like I do gear…..I have tried everything and overthink things.

I need to lose 35 pounds (from 225 to 190, six foot, age 60). In my prime I was running 5 miles a day (running not jogging), and weighed 179. Age, stopping the jogging and bad habits brought me up to a max of 243. Over the past 18 months; I have slowly gotten down to 225 and am ready to get to 190 before the world ends this fall. (even if it doesn’t end, its a good target).

My problem has been that over the past 25 years I have tried, the blood type diet, the body type diet, atkins, primal, vegan, HCG, low carb, high carb etc. etc. etc. I never stick with them because I get get bored. HCG was great in that I finally got down to 185; but of course, that didn’t stick. Primal is ok but I know deep down inside that a ton of meat is not good for you.

So……

I am thinking of just a basic no sugar, no gluten, no fast food type diet. Lots of veggies; more beans that meat; oatmeal and rice as my primary carbs; and 5 days a week at the gym with one day of ruck/or running; and Sunday rest.

Thoughts?

Profile photo of KevinC
    Trajan
    Participant

This is my go to source for info about health and fitness:

roguehealthandfitness.com

P.D. Mangan. He’s also on https://twitter.com/Mangan150.

I’m 50, and I’ve been following a lot of his advice since maybe the beginning of last December. I’ve gone from a BMI of 28 to 23, and it’s been rock steady for the past three months without counting calories.

Basically, I eat low carbs and medium protein. That means I have to get most of my calories from fat. Unfortunately, we were sold a bill of goods regarding the purported benefits of eating a low fat diet. But the key is to limit the intake of omega 6 fats. That means no seed oils. I go with coconut oil, olive oil, and animal fats. I also gave up grains and legumes, except for white rice. I eat sugar on rare occasions. I mostly follow the plan outlined in this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Health-Diet-Regain-Weight/dp/145169914X?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

We can get pretty much any blood work done on request at the clinic at my workplace, and mine’s looking awesome. I’ve got my blood pressure back to normal without meds. Fitnesswise I’m not where I want to be, but I’m making good progress. It’s shaping up to be a good year. :yahoo:

The constitution is the white man's ghost shirt.

Max
    Keymaster

Skywalker,
    It sounds like you are on a good path.
    Personally, I focus on eating a variety of veggies (no corn or standard potatoes), healthy meats raised right (grass fed beef, pastured poultry, wild fish), and healthy fats (coconut oil, lard, beef tallow, olive oil, avacodo). Most of the veggies are cooked in fat and I dont skimp on it. My wife and I can go through a quart of coconut oil in a week. I modulate my carbs from veggies as I need them, generally keeping them low when activity is low and moving them up when I am more active.
    The other foods like dairy, legumes, fruit are ancillary and dependent on how you handle them. You can determine how you handle any food by taking a 30 day break and then reintroducing them one at a time and wait three day to see if you have adverse reactions.
    I stay away from all Gluten containing foods as I am convinced they are total garbage and not compatible with a standard american. There really isnt anything in grains (wheat, oats, barley, or corn, rice) that you cannot get from veggies.
    Most folks on this forum talk about moderation and that’s fine for them. I have found that I can achieve optimal health for myself using this method. Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.